Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
The power/torque 'curve' is fairly astonishing but it looks real (or it matches the numbers and rpm Mini quote):

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After putting 500 miles on the car over the weekend it certainly feels like the graph is accurate!

I had 8 months in an RS3 and I would subjectively say that the power to weight / impact of the torque in the MCS is similar in its impact / delivery in the RS3.

The twist available to the MCS from low RPM in 2nd, 3rd and 4th is simply devastating; I am keeping below 5k rpm for the 1st 1000 miles but I have to say, I haven't felt the loss of the top 1500 rpm at all....It has't felt necessary - (once the 1000 mile mark is breached I will though be exploring the engines capabilities fully!)

The only weak spot are the tyres - loads of grip but weak sidewalls translate into lateral flex with rapid / heavy direction changing; the Primacy tyres also manage to make the steering feel slightly detached I think - the MCS needs either PS2's, PS3's or Eagle Asymmetric F1's - given you can do a full change for under £500 I may not wait too long.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've found my 18's to spin up surprisingly easily.. I know they're skinny run-flats, and the roads have been damp and I have ~190bhp to put down..

But to spin up in a straight line in 1st and 2nd under rather tame throttle application is a bit un-nerving.

Last car I had that spun up like this was my old imported Toyota Glanza V, only 140bhp but weighed as much as a bag of sugar and had no LSD, torque steer was a bit scary in that!

I'll absolutely be chaning my run-flats to proper performance tyres next year - probably Goodyears.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts