Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

I have done few tests and i was wondering how other minis compare, when it comes to fuel economy.. i have a new Cooper 5 Doors 2020, manual transmission.

i remember reading on the brochure somewhere that the Cooper (not the S) does 6 liters per 100 km however i have tested mine many times and i NEVER got that to 6%, which would mean for 44 liters tank - 733 km total. let's say 700 km.

the most i got from my car while driving like grandpa (almost always max 120 km/h in highway green/yellow with very little in sports mode) is 600km and then i had left about 1.5-2 liters of gas, so that would be 7.2%.

does that sound what other people are getting?

if i start driving while actually having some fun in sports mode, i dont get more than 500 km.so that goes around 8.5%.

i know she has a problem with drinking LOL but nothing i can do to fix that

and also on another note, how much MORE does the Cooper S consume? as i was considering an upgrade at some point?

thanks,

·
Registered
65 Posts
My Mini Cooper was new in December 2019, currently has about 2,500 miles on it and has averaged around 43 mpg (6.65 lt per 100km). This is mixed driving with some long trips and some short (under 15 miles) journeys. I calculated this using figures based on full tank to full tank. The car tells me I have averaged about 46 mpg which is a little optimistic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi,

6.65% is not bad at all!

question: would that be always with green/mid mode? or are you driving in Sports? and are you using the start/stop? sometimes i dont understand if that saves gas or not, especially when it goes off then 2 seconds after goes green and you start again....

BTW forgot to mention that i have a BMC sports air filter (love it) and i always run Shell V-Power Racing 100 on, which in theory should consume less combined as you get a bit more power out of the car, but clearly it's not haha

thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
I get about 8-9 litres per 100 km on a JCW (city+highway), but i tend to have fun whenever i'm in the mood. And i'm in the mood quite often with this little fun car.
I think i could get down to 6-7 if i had to drive like everyone else around.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Just hit 50,000 miles done in my Cooper S. Lifetime MPG is 41mpg (UK) and I often get 46mpg on my journey to work (325 mile round trip).
Quite happy with that, and can give it some beans at weekends and still have fun!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks all for the replies, just to find out if my cooper is a alcoholic or not:

- do you guys have the aircon on all the time with these readings yes/no?

- when you go to trips what speed you average?

To re elaborate we have the aircon all the time on now, is so hot here in Germany recently and have to be honest in autobahn i rarely go below cruising speed of 120 km/h, most of the time 130-140kmh. That should be 87 mph. And we are on 7% ish.

But for the sake of testing i did 120 km/h which is what i said in first message...

Does that sound reasonable to you guys?

Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
- do you guys have the aircon on all the time with these readings yes/no?
On all the time

- when you go to trips what speed you average?
60-80 kph city; mid mode most of the time (counting out residential areas of course), 100-140 kph city highway; mid or sport (kinda huge highway-ish roundabout), 120-160 kph highway; mid mode, 80-140-200 kph when it's time for the beans; sport mode + sport gearbox.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And you get 8-9% with that mix and you have 230hp on the JCW and 2 liters, mine 1.5 and 140hp ish with the mods, hmmmm starting to think that my air filter is making my cooper drink too much but goes.quite well

Oh.well,

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To get 6-6.5% have to driveike grandpa, green all the time and no aircon to give you an idea....

·
Registered
76 Posts
you have 230hp on the JCW and 2 liters, mine 1.5 and 140hp ish with the mods
Just in case, i probably have a more "economical" gearing due to the 8-speed transmission, saves some fuel on the highway.
2.2K RPM = 140 kph. As far as i recall, i do about 3K rpm at 180 kph

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, yeah that reduction is quite key.

I have the manual 6th gears. Didnt know you had 8 gears, thought just 7 lol..wild guess 140 kph i will be 3000-3500rpm ish in 6th

Do you use v power 100? I always fill with that, you see a bit of difference and cheapish here too.

Plus this air filter i put on, i had a gain of 30% in acceleration in 3rd, i bet your JCW would get more....

·
Registered
76 Posts
I go with the normal "98 RON" gasoline, that's the best one can get here in Minsk.
There are also Lukoil gas stations that sell "Ecto 100" gasoline but to be honest that's about the same stuff + some marketing effort.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took some readings just now:

Mid
140 kmh = 2800 rpm

Sport
140 kmh = 2700 rpm

The 8th gears make a big difference i guess...

·
Registered
Mini JCW 2020
4 Posts
A bit less than 29mpg (uk) so about 450kms full to empty if I’m lucky and i am taking it easy to bed it in!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts