Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, or "awright" as we tend to say in Scotland.

I'm not a mini owner nor have I ordered one. I'm one of the many hundreds of thousands (or so it seems) internet people who jumped on one of those cheap Golf R deals last year. I've got a year left with that car but i like to plan ahead so i'm thinking about getting an F56 next. Takes me ages to pick a car usually as I like to know as much as possible hence starting my search 6-12 months in advance.

Never had a mini before. I was on the verge of buying an R53 about 2 years back but it was a stretch at the time as child no2 was still in a big bulky car seat and needing a pram. i do tend to prefer smaller cars, especially hatchbacks (also have a 205GTi) and have come to the conclusion that around 200bhp is more than enough for the road.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Welcome to the site , where you based in Scotland? I also take 6 to 12 months to decide on cars

Yes Golf R is a great car but just some of the hype got a little out of hand IMHO , we love our daily driver JCW had since July last year

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
West central, so Glasgow sort of area.

I think most of the Golf hype was around how cheap it was. It's 100% the only reason why i got one. In saying that, i'm quite amazed at how much I have enjoyed it. I had a Golf GTi years ago and also had an S3 but neither came anywhere close. I think all these new hyper hatches are pretty decent, but just seems to me the segment below (in which i place the F56) is where the real fun is these days.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Yeah, I agree. Something to be said for being able to use "all the power" more often without ending up in chokey.

Still, the R is an epic machine and it possibly on my hit-list when I downsize.

Welcome to the forum though. There are lots of your countrymen (Ha! No MINI pun intended, honestly) on here, so you'll feel right at home :)

Oh, and thanks for beating the French last weekend. You're troopers helping us English like that, thanks :p

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Welcome along, never had a Golf but a friend has the R and it certainly amazed me, it does seem like a lot of kit for your bucks!

Sort of know your area as mum came from Motherwell and I work for the bus makers in Falkirk but I live in the sunny south ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts