Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Thought I'd share a tip on how to remove scratches from your screen. I found out that the reason the screen scratches so easily is due to an anti glare coating. All you need to do is spend 30 mins constantly rubbing the screen with a baby wipe and it looks like I have a new screen. :)

White Light Automotive design Black Automotive lighting

Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Light
Car Vehicle White Light Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Plant White Light

Automotive design Vehicle Plant Steering wheel Audio equipment

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why not? Why would you put a screen protector over a scratched screen. If the screen is already scratched you have nothing to lose. I'm going to install a screen protector now its scratch free.

·
Registered
2021 F56 Cooper SE Level 2
230 Posts
There’s no way baby wipes can remove scratches. They have no polishing constituents, just water, detergent, oil and some preservatives and odour. There’s a chance that they leave an oily film behind and ‘mask’ the scratches, or that they remove any coating in which the scratches are made.

I wouldn’t use any chemical wipes on the screen but I keep it obsessively dust-free anyway (soft, dry cloth) so minimise the chances of scratches appearing. I also tend to use the idrive controller for more involved interactions, so don’t do much dragging on the screen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No glare as the screen is still pretty matte. My VW Transporter with glossy screen is much worse. Screen has more bite and colour too. Anti glare film is awful.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There’s no way baby wipes can remove scratches. They have no polishing constituents, just water, detergent, oil and some preservatives and odour. There’s a chance that they leave an oily film behind and ‘mask’ the scratches, or that they remove any coating in which the scratches are made.

I wouldn’t use any chemical wipes on the screen but I keep it obsessively dust-free anyway (soft, dry cloth) so minimise the chances of scratches appearing. I also tend to use the idrive controller for more involved interactions, so don’t do much dragging on the screen.
Its not removed the scratches but has removed the anti glare film which had scratches in. I think the previous owner must have used a a vacuum on the screen which had removed some of the anti glare film and looked terrible. So not masked any scratches.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts