Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

any idea why is there a foul smell coming out from the AC, especially during the initial phase of starting the car? Read online and it could be due to mildew, gotten a bottle of Lysol but im not able to find the ext air intake vent to spray it in, can someone tell me the location?

Thanks you so much !

·
Super Moderator
7,891 Posts
What car had this issue. They had the dealer sanitise the system I think but yo can read up on it. Try an air con cleaner ,aerosol from halfords if dealer isn't handy.

Reactions: Pedro

·
Registered
34 Posts
@jeremybingham - was the A/C issue reported in the WhatCar edition you speak of to do with MINIs?

·
Super Moderator
7,891 Posts
Yes def was and mini sorted it under warranty. Will have a look for it.

·
Super Moderator
7,891 Posts
Def was a Mini f56 and fixed by dealer under warranty

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guys, I've gotten a can of Lysol and intend to spray into the air intake from outside. Can someone tell me where's the location of the external air intake vent? Was told it shld be location near the wiper?

·
Super Moderator
7,891 Posts
The what car dealer tookk the pollen filter out and sprayed it-think that is your best bet-give it a good squirting and then dry it out; or buy one of those aerosols you leave open in the car with the recirculate and fan runnning-halford s sell them
J

·
Registered
34 Posts
@jeremybingham - as ever very helpful - thanks very much for posting the link. Maybe something died up in the system somewhere?!

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
280 Posts
We sometimes saw a dead rat put into new car door panels when i worked at Morris Motors when I was 15, - I'm 82 now. Maybe they've stopped all that nowadays.

·
Super Moderator
7,891 Posts
Mm hope so. The factory seemed very clinical

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have the same issue, I've owned the car since June and have had the problem since day 1, the dealer has already sanitised the air con which worked temporarily but is back with a vengeance. I've never seen any water draining under the car as in other vehicles I've owned with aircon, I've been told it is an issue with the evaporator unit which is being replaced... I don't know what to do, I didn't buy a new car to have the dashboard removed!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys,

any idea why is there a foul smell coming out from the AC, especially during the initial phase of starting the car? Read online and it could be due to mildew, gotten a bottle of Lysol but im not able to find the ext air intake vent to spray it in, can someone tell me the location?

Thanks you so much !
My 2015 mini S has the same issue. They replaced the AC but the smell came back after one month. Were you able to resolve the issue? My service advisor will not return my calls!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I have the same issue, I've owned the car since June and have had the problem since day 1, the dealer has already sanitised the air con which worked temporarily but is back with a vengeance. I've never seen any water draining under the car as in other vehicles I've owned with aircon, I've been told it is an issue with the evaporator unit which is being replaced... I don't know what to do, I didn't buy a new car to have the dashboard removed!
I have the same problem with my Mini S since day 1. They replaced the AC, had to remove the dash and everything. The odor came back one month later! Now, the service advisor will not return my call!!! Did you get your issue resolved? I don't know what to do.
Alexa

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have been noticing an unpleasant smell for a few days when I first get into the car, which I have not been able to explain, but reading various posts it may be due to the AC condensate not being expelled from the car and becoming stagnant.

I have rarely used the AC although I try to remember to run it every now and then to keep it healthy...

Perhaps the drain pipe from the AC is blocked or kinked causing the lack of drainage. If I knew where it was I would have a look and a prod, but I haven't a clue where it is!

Might be another wee job for Mr M.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've been having this problem for a few weeks now. When I brought it in for its first oil change I told them about the cheesy odor.

They told me there was a recall on the filter and that they are making it out a different material that's less prone to molding.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Oh, the joys of buying a new car (especially of a new design)....we all take a chance to get the newest and best, but the down-side is that sometimes the kinks aren't worked out yet. I might have an advantage in having to wait another 3 months! :)

·
Registered
890 Posts
As an update, since I wrote here about threatening my car with a dealer visit, the slight odd smell I was experiencing in the car has gone completely.

Must have been me or something from outside.

So far as new car worries are concerned my Cooper has only needed one damper replaced in one year of ownership (apart from a recall) and it is going better than ever. Lovely car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My car is at the shop for this. I'm at 2,300 miles. Not pleased. They said the evaporator has to be replaced and that Mini recently released a TSB for this problem. Parts won't arrive for 7-10 days... A friend has a '15 4-door Cooper and had this problem last month.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi...same problem here..2014 Cooper S. Smells like sour laundry coming from the AC for the first few minutes then only faintly after that. I've read a lot of threads on this and it seems to be a bit common. I mentioned it to the service advisor and the squirted some Frigi Fresh into the system. It helped for a couple weeks and it's back now.

One thing others have mentioned is to check the AC drain tube. I can't find where this is. Can anyone show me where to look?

I've also located the cabin air filters and will check those for mildew.

Anyone have any advice? I'd like to check all the "easy" fixes first before bringing it in again. The dealer is not very close.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts