Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost 2 weeks ago I purchased some Yokohama yk580s, so far I'm not impressed in the least. (700 miles)

I'm in an F55s with the tuning kit, so about 205-210hp and an auto gearbox. I can spin the tires in M1 and M2, and have broke traction twice in light rain, just turning left at lights, which I took briskly but not fast at all. My OEMS were at 3mm and handled far better with the little bit of tread they had left...anyone knows if these are just crap or if if there is a mile mark I should be looking to pass before applying criticism?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I have never had Yokohama tires, I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+s on my JCW and I do not have any of the issues you describe. I can bark the tires in first and second gears if I try, but when driving in wet conditions I am less aggressive and I have not had in issues and I have only broken traction rarely even in high speed cornering.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never had Yokohama tires, I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+s on my JCW and I do not have any of the issues you describe. I can bark the tires in first and second gears if I try, but when driving in wet conditions I am less aggressive and I have not had in issues and I have only broken traction rarely even in high speed cornering.
Thanks for the reply, the whole car seems a little less grounded. It's strange but I'm gonna give about a month or so and if things don't change I'll bite the bullet and swap em out. It's like they are a hard compound summer tire marketed as an A/S. It was about 20 degrees warmer when I got them, **** Florida weather , haha

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry to tell you this, but the tires are not going to get better in another month. The YK580 is an all-season tire designed to extract max fuel economy with low wear; the tread wear rating is 580!
https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/detail/yk580
If you want more traction and better response, you will have to expect more tire wear. Tires make a lot of difference, as you have found out.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Remember. Everyone gets different feelings from their tires. Buying tires is really a shot in the dark.

But please do remember that a general All purpose tire is going to give you a mediocre/middle of the road performing reality no matter what you pay for them. If you want a really impressive tire, you need to shell out the money to go on either end of the spectrum (winter tires/summer tires respectively).

And sometimes, just sometimes, you get a bad product.

This may be a dumb question, but how much research did you do into the tires before you pulled the trigger on them?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Remember. Everyone gets different feelings from their tires. Buying tires is really a shot in the dark.

But please do remember that a general All purpose tire is going to give you a mediocre/middle of the road performing reality no matter what you pay for them. If you want a really impressive tire, you need to shell out the money to go on either end of the spectrum (winter tires/summer tires respectively).

This may be a dumb question, but how much research did you do into the tires before you pulled the trigger on them?
I disagree with your generalization regarding all season tires. I can only address this issue with my results with the specific tire that I prefer. I have had these particular tires on 2 minis and have found them to be more than adequate in all of my applications including some limited track time. The grip in all seasons is excellent although it is better in warmer weather, the wear is good even with hard use. I also had these tires on a 460 HP corvette and they performed satisfactorily on it as well in general use, but really weren't up to track days performance. The caveat is that if you track on a regular basis dedicated track tires are definitely better, but if you are an occasional tracker and your use is general highway driving and public roads twisting the Michelins are hard to beat. I do agree with your dedicated tire being the best solution if you want to spend the money and time for changing tires per application.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I disagree with your generalization regarding all season tires. I can only address this issue with my results with the specific tire that I prefer. I have had these particular tires on 2 minis and have found them to be more than adequate in all of my applications including some limited track time. The grip in all seasons is excellent although it is better in warmer weather, the wear is good even with hard use. I also had these tires on a 460 HP corvette and they performed satisfactorily on it as well in general use, but really weren't up to track days performance. The caveat is that if you track on a regular basis dedicated track tires are definitely better, but if you are an occasional tracker and your use is general highway driving and public roads twisting the Michelins are hard to beat. I do agree with your dedicated tire being the best solution if you want to spend the money and time for changing tires per application.
I agree that there can be SOME All-season's that perform beautifully comparatively speaking to other types/brands. It also comes down to personal feeling and feedback from tires. Some people like different qualities, and also pick up things differently than other people do.

Case in point, the Pirelli P7 Cinturato. They came standard as an A/S for my car. They are about $159 a tire and they rank high with regards to people's review of them. They also have a decently high speed rating to them.

I think they are total garbage and I hate putting them on my car in the off season. The only reason I put them on is because I don't want to waste the fact that I still have almost 2 more seasons of use left on them. I personally hate the tire and think they shouldn't come equipped on the car. They provide me little grip in wet conditions, and their snow handling capabilities are dismal.

As soon as I can, I will be ordering dedicated winter tires for the off season (when I get back to the states).

I do think however that spending the money on dedicated tires is much more economical than most people think, and it really doesn't take me any more than 45 minutes to swap my summer set and winter sets when the time comes.

Reactions: KYDan

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree that there can be SOME All-season's that perform beautifully comparatively speaking to other types/brands. It also comes down to personal feeling and feedback from tires. Some people like different qualities, and also pick up things differently than other people do.

Case in point, the Pirelli P7 Cinturato. They came standard as an A/S for my car. They are about $159 a tire and they rank high with regards to people's review of them. They also have a decently high speed rating to them.

I think they are total garbage and I hate putting them on my car in the off season. The only reason I put them on is because I don't want to waste the fact that I still have almost 2 more seasons of use left on them. I personally hate the tire and think they shouldn't come equipped on the car. They provide me little grip in wet conditions, and their snow handling capabilities are dismal.

As soon as I can, I will be ordering dedicated winter tires for the off season (when I get back to the states).

I do think however that spending the money on dedicated tires is much more economical than most people think, and it really doesn't take me any more than 45 minutes to swap my summer set and winter sets when the time comes.
Thanks for the reply. I did ~20-25 hrs of research on these, and had to learn along the way. My expectation of an A/S is wet performance as they do not make a rain tire unless there is something I don't know. I live in FL so a winter tire would be a complete waste of money, but it rains at random so it's good to be prepared for that. My biggest draw was the ratio of positive to negative reviews, literally something like 50 to 1, no lie. I saw 5 negative reviews across 4 sites. The professional reviews and videos always put these as a good buy all but one included wet conditions. As far as treadwear rating my understanding is that these are manufacturer ratings and since there isn't a standard across manfs you should take these as subjective, what brand really wants you to think their tires won't last...the lowest rating I saw across about 7 brands was 500, on a scale of 600, 80 didn't seem like much of a take...apparently it was.

I figured you get what you pay for and tried a different brand than my typical favorite Bridgestone. I was thinking about new wheels this year so I can correct then if I can tolerate.
I didn't expect anything with Yokohamas name on it to behave worse than the worn down OEMS, 3 vs 9mm MM, my expectation is for the 9 to handle the water better. Live an learn I guess, from a consumer standpoint I'm disappointed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Tire performance will vary car model to car model. When I'm looking for tires, I'll only consider reviews of the tire for the specific car. That said, my choices are typically limited to only a few tires as I focus on maximum summer performance. There are a lot more all season tires and I think a wider range of performance with them.
I have a friend who despite the good reviews for a Yokohama tire (not sure of the model), experienced low traction and poor wet weather performance. This brand is not usually on my search list.

·
Super Moderator
8,744 Posts
Tyres are always a compromise and polaris is right. Separate season tyres are less so but even then theyre compromised at the end of their seasons or in unseasonable weather! If you can afford them however i think they're great. Of course if you ignore minis list of tyres there are hundreds to choose from and they vary but generally for economy and good wear tyres wont be as grippy as soft tyres and soft tyres dont last long(mr2 with bridgstone potenza s001 ,did 8000 mls to the 1.6 mm limit!)but will give more grip esp in the dry!! You do the research and take your pick!

Reactions: KYDan

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I did ~20-25 hrs of research on these, and had to learn along the way. My expectation of an A/S is wet performance as they do not make a rain tire unless there is something I don't know. I live in FL so a winter tire would be a complete waste of money, but it rains at random so it's good to be prepared for that. My biggest draw was the ratio of positive to negative reviews, literally something like 50 to 1, no lie. I saw 5 negative reviews across 4 sites. The professional reviews and videos always put these as a good buy all but one included wet conditions. As far as treadwear rating my understanding is that these are manufacturer ratings and since there isn't a standard across manfs you should take these as subjective, what brand really wants you to think their tires won't last...the lowest rating I saw across about 7 brands was 500, on a scale of 600, 80 didn't seem like much of a take...apparently it was.

I figured you get what you pay for and tried a different brand than my typical favorite Bridgestone. I was thinking about new wheels this year so I can correct then if I can tolerate.
I didn't expect anything with Yokohamas name on it to behave worse than the worn down OEMS, 3 vs 9mm MM, my expectation is for the 9 to handle the water better. Live an learn I guess, from a consumer standpoint I'm disappointed.

I'm glad to see that you did do a fair amount of research on your tires. Again sometimes these things happen with tires. I'm sorry you are stuck with them, and that they do not live up to your standards.

From my understanding Summer tires handle rain water exceptionally well (depending on their tread pattern).
I, personally, wouldn't have bought an A/S for Florida weather (as I don't think the weather gets cold enough to justify the need for them).

For the record, I mean no offense with my post replies, and was just asking some questions and giving my personal opinion.

This excerpt is what is in line with what I was always taught.
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tread-and-trend/drivers-ed/summer-tires-vs-all-season-tires

"Dimensional characteristics (such as the tire’s width, aspect ratio, and rim diameter), speed capability, and other design features make summer tires more suitable and capable for increased performance in wet and dry conditions on high-performance, sports-oriented vehicles. Surprising to some, summer tires provide better performance in wet driving conditions, thanks to unique tread patterns that help evacuate water and resist hydroplaning."

"All-season tires perform well in warm weather, but they may offer less grip than summer tires, sacrificing some steering, braking, and cornering capabilities. This trade off is necessary for all-season tires to be able to provide acceptable performance in light winter conditions and provide longer tread life.

All-season tires are capable of providing traction in winter, but are not the best tire to use in extreme winter driving conditions. Drivers who encounter extreme winter weather may want to consider switching to snow tires in the winter.

Because all-season tires offer a blend of summer and winter performance, they are often a good option for drivers in moderate climates and driving conditions."

Reactions: MoBoost

·
Registered
406 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm glad to see that you did do a fair amount of research on your tires. Again sometimes these things happen with tires. I'm sorry you are stuck with them, and that they do not live up to your standards.

From my understanding Summer tires handle rain water exceptionally well (depending on their tread pattern).
I, personally, wouldn't have bought an A/S for Florida weather (as I don't think the weather gets cold enough to justify the need for them).

For the record, I mean no offense with my post replies, and was just asking some questions and giving my personal opinion.

This excerpt is what is in line with what I was always taught.
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tread-and-trend/drivers-ed/summer-tires-vs-all-season-tires

"Dimensional characteristics (such as the tire’s width, aspect ratio, and rim diameter), speed capability, and other design features make summer tires more suitable and capable for increased performance in wet and dry conditions on high-performance, sports-oriented vehicles. Surprising to some, summer tires provide better performance in wet driving conditions, thanks to unique tread patterns that help evacuate water and resist hydroplaning."

"All-season tires perform well in warm weather, but they may offer less grip than summer tires, sacrificing some steering, braking, and cornering capabilities. This trade off is necessary for all-season tires to be able to provide acceptable performance in light winter conditions and provide longer tread life.

All-season tires are capable of providing traction in winter, but are not the best tire to use in extreme winter driving conditions. Drivers who encounter extreme winter weather may want to consider switching to snow tires in the winter.

Because all-season tires offer a blend of summer and winter performance, they are often a good option for drivers in moderate climates and driving conditions."
No offense taken bud, glad to have responses...I am disappointed with my choice but I have the means to switch up if I just can't stand them. I've been wanting a more offset rim sooooooo here could be my reason....my wife saw right through it when I said I wasn't liking the tires, she checked my app list on my phone and saw the wheels I had up on ebay. Lol. Between Konig, Enkei, and Motegi. Also found a few spin forged TSW I like....mod bug has me at the moment. ?

·
Registered
406 Posts
No offense taken bud, glad to have responses...I am disappointed with my choice but I have the means to switch up if I just can't stand them. I've been wanting a more offset rim sooooooo here could be my reason....my wife saw right through it when I said I wasn't liking the tires, she checked my app list on my phone and saw the wheels I had up on ebay. Lol. Between Konig, Enkei, and Motegi. Also found a few spin forged TSW I like....mod bug has me at the moment. ��

All beautiful wheels!

I bought some 17" Motegi Traklite wheels from tire rack. Price was good and I cut 3lbs. a corner over stock 16" Victory spokes. One thing I found was buying tires with XL sidewalls has helped to really improve cornering and stiffness through high speed turns. (don't be afraid of cast wheels as they usually stand up to DD/lightly spirited driving).

Those are my summer tires BTW. They have been an incredible tire and I can't wait to put them back on when the season comes back.

Reactions: ChimChimGoFast

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All beautiful wheels!

I bought some 17" Motegi Traklite wheels from tire rack. Price was good and I cut 3lbs. a corner over stock 16" Victory spokes. One thing I found was buying tires with XL sidewalls has helped to really improve cornering and stiffness through high speed turns. (don't be afraid of cast wheels as they usually stand up to DD/lightly spirited driving).

Those are my summer tires BTW. They have been an incredible tire and I can't wait to put them back on when the season comes back.
Yeah, for Cast wheels as I read more and more if you stay with the tried and true your average consumer isn't going to have problems. All the above rims are cast but have proven performance and longevity years before I even started driving.

If/when I do go for a traditional forged wheel I want make it special when I can splurge cause those things are crazy expensive aaaand I'd like to use an American company if I'm spending that kind of money. Lots of low volume small companies making really good stuff, I got a soft spot for the little guy. I also like being able to meet the guy who's making my stuff. Again, thanks for the relies.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My experience of Yokohamas is they were alright in the dry but iffy in the wet.

Can you get the Uniroyal Rainsport in the US? They are a pretty great tyre in heavy rain like you get in Florida. Only downside is the massively soft sideways.

·
Registered
109 Posts

I think they are total garbage and I hate putting them on my car in the off season. The only reason I put them on is because I don't want to waste the fact that I still have almost 2 more seasons of use left on them. I personally hate the tire and think they shouldn't come equipped on the car. They provide me little grip in wet conditions, and their snow handling capabilities are dismal

You'd be right, they are bloody atrocious.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After a couple more weeks and talking to a local performance product shop (wheels, tire, suspension), we determined that it's wet handling really isn't awesome however in the dry they are stickier than I gave'em credit for but with softer than I was accustomed to sidewalls. The softer sidewalls are feeding back a lack of traction to the driver, me. I'm giving them time and playing with pressure value to see which is best for my feels within the limits of the tire.

I'm going to participate in Minis on the dragon this year so I have some time to gain confidence or replace....I also want to try them after coilovers get installed.

·
Registered
406 Posts
After a couple more weeks and talking to a local performance product shop (wheels, tire, suspension), we determined that it's wet handling really isn't awesome however in the dry they are stickier than I gave'em credit for but with softer than I was accustomed to sidewalls. The softer sidewalls are feeding back a lack of traction to the driver, me. I'm giving them time and playing with pressure value to see which is best for my feels within the limits of the tire.

I'm going to participate in Minis on the dragon this year so I have some time to gain confidence or replace....I also want to try them after coilovers get installed.

Next time when you are looking for a good tire, see if they have them in XL sidewalls. The stiffer sidewall really makes the tire perform THAT much better.

Again, I'm sorry you have experienced a tire that let you down.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.