Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a minimal/no option 6-speed equipped F56 JCW. From what I can tell, the car is pretty well equipped for most driving needs.

Has anyone else done this?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
The base F56 JCW is an outstanding value!!! You could even add a few options and still pay less than most highly optioned MCS hardtops!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reason I am considering this is that I currently have a 2015 BMW X1 with almost every option available. I really like the car, but find that most of the features are nice, but I use them very seldom. The X1 (RWD) is a really good car, but does not have the level of involvement I am looking for. It's quick, handles very well, and is feature loaded ... most of which I do not use. Also, I needed the room and utility for business travel.

Now, I do not have the business travel needs so the Mini makes much more sense. Still, I need to understand which options are absolutely essential to live with the car since I will probably keep it a long time.

A little more info on needs may help:
- It will be a commuter, although on very good roads
- I do plan to autocross it and will probably use it for some track days
- I'm used to less complicated cars (2009 Mini Clubman S, 1999 Miata w/SC, 1960 Alfa Romeo vintage racer)
- I'm used to fully equipped cars that have aged (2001 M5)
- I'll probably modify it a bit

All assistance and recommendations appreciated. I still have some time before finalizing the order (not like I'll find one otherwise).

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Hello :)

I tend to get carried away with ticking boxes so most likely not the person to ask ;)

I've not got a JCW but same principle ...

But I did refrain in the end, no HK system as basic sounds ok and listen to the radio most of the time, no pan roof as adds weight over head, didn't need self park as managed ok all my driving years, no HUD as to get the full package its £1500 or so and never had so figured wouldn't miss.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
My mum has a fairly basic (standard) JCW, with the following extras:

- Sun Protection Glass
- Roof Bars
- Rear PDC
- Visual Boost
- Heated Seats
- Auto Lights / Wipers
- JCW Bonnet Stripes

She loves it and wouldn't change it for the world, in my opinion due to the base JCW being so well specced you don't need the Chilli pack.

·
Super Moderator
1,206 Posts
I would suggest the Chilli Pack, as that always adds value when you come to move it on, but I hate the 18' cup spokes. The higher spec lighting is good, and I'd not take a new car without the built in Sat Nav again, just because it's much tidier.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Saying about the SatNav Steve, I have it and don't find it as accurate as Gen 2 MINI navs!

Example I went to Toms for a detail, it took me to the trading estate but not the unit where my Gen 2 did!

·
Super Moderator
1,206 Posts
Never had a problem with mine, other than yesterday in Cornwall when it said we were in a field, but I have since found out that the road we were on was only finished 3 months ago. Seeing as I've had my car since September, I'll let them off of that one !!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Mine can't even find my own home, takes me about 1 miles west then if you ignore it, it then takes you about 1mile east of my place. Very weird, taking it in for a few things soon.

Mike's does the same, not sure how he got on in Cornwall, guess he just followed the leader ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
My JCW is pretty basic with only black alloys, metallic paint, heated front screen, visual boost radio and reversing camera added. I didn't like the look of the 18" wheels and didn't want runflats so chilli pack was a waste of money for me, I would have gone for the head up display if I had gone for the sat nav, but I have that on my phone. I love the 17" wheels & standard sport suspension combo & the JCW is so well spec'd as standard with nice seats, air con & led lights. No regrets & loving my basic JCW.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Less is more IMHO.
You got that right! The more basic the better for me....I don't do well with all the newfangled electronic gizmos! HK was worth it and I must plug the two tone cup spoke wheels! I love mine! And 18" wheels just look better to my eye. I do like the 17" black track spokes though, but not the silver ones (look too small).

For the small price I recommend the rear fogs & the piano black interior trim.

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
508 Posts
Sorry for breaking the trend but i love all gadgets and gizmos. If the inside of the car lights up like a 747 with a thousand switches, I love it. I really like the toggle switches on the roof in the car and in the centre dash, I thought that was a great touch, especially the pulsating on/off switch.
If I had more money to spend, I would buy the same car and option it up even more.

Having said all this, the bare JCW is still a great drive without all the bells and whistles.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sorry for breaking the trend but i love all gadgets and gizmos. If the inside of the car lights up like a 747 with a thousand switches, I love it. I really like the toggle switches on the roof in the car and in the centre dash, I thought that was a great touch, especially the pulsating on/off switch.
If I had more money to spend, I would buy the same car and option it up even more.

Having said all this, the bare JCW is still a great drive without all the bells and whistles.
Yep agree. I'm in that same boat. I'm a sucker for all that tech.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yep agree. I'm in that same boat. I'm a sucker for all that tech.
Me to! I've never had a heated windscreen before and could easily live without it but the blank button on the dash would drive me mad so £110 well spent ;)

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
This thread highlights the true wonderfulness of minis! You can make it yours easily enough if you are willing to wade through all the muck and get exactly what you want. Some of the things that are offered are somewhat difficult to find, but persevere and you will be rewarded. The driver side sun visor and the rear 12 volt socket are good examples. Enjoy the hunt and the build process, the waiting is tough, but it is worth it in the end. They are funtastic little monsters!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
This thread highlights the true wonderfulness of minis! You can make it yours easily enough if you are willing to wade through all the muck and get exactly what you want. Some of the things that are offered are somewhat difficult to find, but persevere and you will be rewarded. The driver side sun visor and the rear 12 volt socket are good examples. Enjoy the hunt and the build process, the waiting is tough, but it is worth it in the end. They are funtastic little monsters!

That's true Dan, but unfortunately back when I was doing my due diligence this time last year on the new JCW, there was very little information out there on the "details" of the car, and my MA only had limited knowledge. MINI could definitely do a better job presenting the build specifics and options that are available on the MINIUSA website (or anywhere)!

I had no clue there were JCW Pro Optional equipment for example. Fortunately for me, I made few errors in my build as I was able to revise my build 2 or 3 times before my production number was issued (due to the delay in producing the manual transmission JCW's in 2015), which in the end was a good thing! :)

John

Reactions: KYDan

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
That's true Dan, but unfortunately back when I was doing my due diligence this time last year on the new JCW, there was very little information out there on the "details" of the car, and my MA only had limited knowledge. MINI could definitely do a better job presenting the build specifics and options that are available on the MINIUSA website (or anywhere)!

I had no clue there were JCW Pro Optional equipment for example. Fortunately for me, I made few errors in my build as I was able to revise my build 2 or 3 times before my production number was issued (due to the delay in producing the manual transmission JCW's in 2015), which in the end was a good thing! :)

John
Me too, that's why I posted the information about the visor and the socket. I did search quite a bit before I ordered, but I was unaware of some of the deletions by mini. Poor consumer relations at the corporate level and they should have notified the dealerships of the changes and the JCW PRO information should have been there as well. It would have made them more money and I would have ordered the PRO exhaust with the car. As it was it cost the dealership money as I went to a BMW service dealer and saved several hundred dollars from the dealership quote to install it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is it possible to order the car with the JCW Pro exhaust? Nothing I could find on their website indicated that. I will be at the dealer this weekend and will ask.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My car is well specked and I think your right about not using half of it. The upgraded Media XL or what ever its called has so much **** it takes weeks to go through it all, and every time I do use it I find myself having to learn it over. So on that note the one thing I'd add to a basic car above anything else would be LED lights. Two reasons why - firstly they are excellent (night & day), if you won't the ultimate driving experience you need to see where your going. Second is very much personal, I categorically hate the look of the basic lights. When I buy a car the cosmetics are a deciding factor, it could be the best specked car in the world but without these lights I'd never buy it. They really transform the look of the car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts