Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

About to order a new Convertible Cooper Classic for the wife here in the UK

Moonwalk Grey
Black Mirrors
Black Bonnet Stripes

She doesn't need much in the way of toys and is pretty happy with the standard spec, which is good as we're on a budget.

Was toying with the comfort pack, but as I just found out manual air con is standard (thought standard was no air con at all) plus wife found the arm rest annoying and would have it mostly folded out of the way, I don't see the point.

Heated screen seems worthwhile for just £150 you think?

What are your thoughts? Will lack of comfort pack affect resale massively? If we're not fussed with it, i guess others won't be either, but what's everyone think?

Any general thoughts on the convertible? Good car as a general run around?

Cheers

Brighty

·
Registered
730 Posts
The F57 is a great car and the 1.5 Cooper is arguably the sweet spot in the ragtop range.
It's probably just me, but when Autotrader MINI window shopping I immediately dismiss non-dual zone climate control cars. Silly really, particularly on a convertible, but I think the manual aircon/ventilation equipped cars (of which there are now a lot in this post-Chilli Pack era) seem a bit, well, cheap in comparison and appear to be harder to sell on.
As I say, just my view, but you did ask... 😁
Hope you both enjoy the new car when it arrives!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for the reply. Will give it some thought. Cost difference for the comfort pack on the quotes i have from Bimmerdeals is £645, might be worthwhile just to make it a little more appealing at resale. I'll ponder that one.

Bimmerdeals prices are so good (thankyou forum for informing me of them by the way) that even with the comfort pack and the heated screen, it comes in under my imaginary mental price ceiling of £20k

·
Registered
227 Posts
It heavily depends on the climate, but my personal opinion is that heated windscreen is "nice to have" at most, not mandatory.
I'd better grab a heated steering wheel.

Anyways, my first recommendation would be "Driving Modes", especially if you go for automatic transmission and want more than A to B without a roof.
And if you do a lot of out-of-town driving in the evening, matrix headlights are a miracle.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you would like a 'basic' convertible, my suggestion is to buy nearly new or used. Cars without options depreciate the fastest and should offer you the least risk when you come to sell it on.
I'd not buy a new car with little / few options - it makes it harder to sell on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
For a convertible make sure you have heated seats. It’ll extend the amount of time you can have the roof open. Driving at night in the cold with the roof down is one of my favourite things.

If the budget stretches then heated steering wheel is a fantastic thing to have. I’d take that over a heated front screen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for the input everyone

I originally looked at used/nearly new, and here in the UK 2 yr old low mileage cars are up for £19k, which is the same price i can get a brand new one for from Bimmerdeals, so new seems a no brainer to me. We're in no rush, as her current lease car isn't due back until December, so happy to wait for a factory order.

Heated seats I hate, that gradual warming feeling makes me feel like i've pee'd myself (not that i do that, often), had it on one of my cars once, used twice, never again, wife is the same, so i'm not fussed with them. The only time cold seats bother me is with leather for that first "oof that's cold" moment when you first get in, but you'd get that with heated seats anyway. Manual air con is enough for a convertible i think, for occasional demisting, so paying £645 for the comfort pack just for an arm rest seems a bit of a false economy, though it would be a good selling point in 3yrs time, i dont know if it is worth £645

Heated screen i'm definitely going with, it was great on the wifes Fiesta and she's missed it on her 2 cars since. As it's me she gets to scrape her screen every morning, it's £150 well spent for me.

Heated steering wheel, i've no experience of those, never felt the need for one before, even on my Saab convertible that i drove roof down on some quite cold days, i'll give that some thought

Driving modes, if it was my car, i might be interested (if it stayed on the preferred setting and not default to standard every time you start the car like my stupid Octavia does), but this is the wifes car, she'd never use it

So
Bonnet stripes - Yes, just because
Comfort pack - maybe, but we'd get no use from it, so for resale purpose only
Heated screen - Yes
Heated wheel - Dont think so
Driving Modes - No

·
Registered
59 Posts
What seats are you going for? My previous 2 cars had black leather which looked nice but got really hot when the car was parked up in the sun. When I got my Cooper in 2019 I opted for the grey wool/cloth seats which stay cooler and don't make me sweat as much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What seats are you going for? My previous 2 cars had black leather which looked nice but got really hot when the car was parked up in the sun. When I got my Cooper in 2019 I opted for the grey wool/cloth seats which stay cooler and don't make me sweat as much.
The standard 'cloth firework carbon black'
The only other options available on the Cooper Classic are beige or dark grey cloth, both with black leatherette trim, or full black leather, so all leg burners, expensive too

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Deal Done

Convertible Cooper Classic
Moonwalk Grey
Black Mirrors
Black Bonnet Stripes
Comfort Pack
Heated Windscreen
Driving Modes

All for a fiver under £20k thanks to Bimmerdeals, which is just over 11% off list

1 - 11 of 11 Posts