Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I just bought the CTEK 5 and I'm a little unsure as to which charging mode I should use.
Correct me if I'm wrong but mini use an AGM battery.

In the instruction manual there are 4 programs/modes.
One of these two modes must be the one to use but which?

CTEK 5 - "Normal" - mode says "...many AGM batteries"
CTEK 5 - "AGM" - mode says "...most AGM batteries like Optima and Odyssey"

Attached image from the instruction manual.

Had to get a charger as my Mini isn't getting the runs it needs to keep a good charge. I was getting the low battery warning, saying requires extended driving run. Garage checked it and said battery okay, just lack of usage.
Car only done 3500 in 18 months due to ill health ? Would love to get behind my mini more .

Thanks Dave

Attachments

· Super Moderator
8,919 Posts
I'd use the NORMAL battery mode; if you look the agm option is for very low temperatures -20 to 5 ; unless of course you are in a low temp area at the mo! The ctek is a superb charger and will charge then maintain the battery just like you need !

· Super Moderator
8,919 Posts
aha just seen you're near me; i'd be a better bet to borrow your car and give it the time on the road it needs! However in the uk at the moment just stick it on normal mode; it'll be absolutely fine! Hope you're better soon.J

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys.
This group is always a wealth of information!

I'll let you know how I get on with the first charge later on in the week.
The CTEK 5 does look a nice piece of kit. I also bought the extension lead at the same time from Amazon, came to about £70 in total.

· Super Moderator
8,919 Posts
I leave my bike on an optimate 4 over winter agm battery; keeps it nice and fresh and no hassle with the connector permanently attached.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorted Battery. Rang mini and battery is definetly a AGM battery. Used AGM mode to recharge and it took about 8hrs to bring back to a full charge. I should have taken a volts reading before and after to see how charge time volts looked. Have got a volts reader on order. AGM mode is used on AGM batteries, "Start Stop" and in cold weather. Screen shot of the back of the Chargers packaging states that (bottom left)

Worked great!

Attachments

· Registered
213 Posts
Id still look at your battery to confirm its got AGM on it, it will be quite obvious and more than likely is an AGM with all the toys these cars have on now adays.

AGM batterys have an inbuilt sensor so using a charger that doesnt support AGM mode isnt safe on a AGM battery. The car itself also has a different charging profile when used with an AGM battery, so if you replace the battery even with the same type, it needs told so it re-learns the batterys full charge state so you need to "register" the new battery so it re-learns. Likewise if you swap it for a non AGM battery, you need to code the car to tell it so it can adjust the charging profile.

But CTEK 5 is a good bit of kit, I just have not had the chance to use it on the mini yet

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've checked and can confirm battery in my car is Varta AGM as Mini dealer said.
Seems standard to use AGM battery in start stop cars.
Also looked at Varta website on battery's and clipped below details on charging at a standard rate is a max in 14.8v
So I'm confident the settings I've used are okay. ?

Attachments

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For some reason couldn't add this second image to my other post.
Nice little graph that eased my mind from Varta. Top one is AGM and says 14.8v max.?

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.