Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm a Mini noob. I actually am one week into ownership of a previously owned F56. This morning, he wouldn't turn over.

Ironically, the message that popped up where the odometer reading lives said Battery Discharged, and to start the car. Well, thanks...

My daily commute has been, round trip, 14 miles. This is the first time it's complained. Is there something that is perhaps not turning off when it should? I had noticed the hazard light button stayed illuminated when the car was parked overnight. I thought it was normal for the car to do that.

Thoughts?
馃槗

Registered
Easiest way to check for any issues is to get the car hooked up to a diagnostic computer. Guess it depends how close your nearest dealer with one of those is as to how easy that will be.

Registered
Sorry to hear of your battery woes. I seem to recall from your introduction post that your car is a 2015 model (?) Just wonder therefore whether your battery is the original one and if so whether it is failing/failed.

Back in the day, batteries on their way out would gradually deteriorate over time, with sluggish cranking being the most obvious clue. However, with modern batteries the performance really falls off a cliff when they expire.

As Anonemouse says, a MINI diagnostic check will identify the issue causing your problem. If getting to a dealer is a problem, a reputable aftermarket battery seller should at least be able to check the health of your battery.

Final thing to try would be a good overnight charge if you have a battery charger, just to see whether your issue results from your car sitting on the car lot for an extended period of time.

Good luck in getting it resolved 馃檪

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I'll have to jump it to get it to a diagnostic place. To...anywhere, really 馃槀

Also, townhome parking. Putting it on a charger might be problematic.

No... There were no warnings. It started up perfectly each time. I don't have the feature on that turns off the engine automatically at every opportunity.

Dagnabbit. It's a second car, so I'm not dead in the water, but, still. It'll give me something to do if we're all sent home amid pandemic fears.

Registered
Are you pressing the start/stop button twice when you leave it? First to stop engine. Second to shut all electronics down.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, not always I think. Not a tidbit of information shared in my short tutorial at the Mini dealership, and I'm still working my way through the manual. Thanks!

I also read a bit in the manual online last night that basically said that only driving it for short trips under 10 miles, without occasionally getting it up to highway speeds, would not be sufficient to maintain the battery. Since my one way commute is just under 7 miles, that didn't help. Excuse to drive it more? Yes, please!

Still, one weekend shouldn't have been enough to drain it unless something was on, or perhaps the battery is the original from circa 2015 and it's starting to flake out.

My next question is about battery replacement. From what I read, the battery has to be registered, or the computer reset so it knows the battery is new. Is this something that can be DIYd?

Registered
The battery on my 2017 died after only about two and a half years. Like yours, it came without warning. I went to a local BMW/MINI independent shop and they replaced and registered it for ~$200. Dealer will probably want a lot more.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Well, my battery it turns out was somewhat older, though I've only had it a week before it failed. I took the car round to a dealership in Annapolis. I wanted them to give the car a thorough going over.

Yes, the car was on the original battery from 2015, or whenever it was built. There was also a cracked engine mount, but everything else was in great shape.

The battery ran me $390, and the engine mount is covered under warranty. They recommended trying to see if the dealership I bought it from (over 300 miles away) might cover the battery cost.I Ifit had given out on the trip home, I would have had a cow.

I'm on the lookout for an independent Mini shop more local to me, but I feel better having the Mini-appolis dealership give it a thorough once over.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts