Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
Not used my mini other than the odd move it up and down the drive way in 6 weeks. As I've had an operation!

Anyways my car was moved for me today by a relative and they got messages on the screen concerning battery drains. (Attached pics)
Now I know its not had a run out in 6 weeks but surely they shouldn't drain. I've had 5 minis and this is the first oddity I've wondered over.
Minis always been reliable so I'm not knocking it by any means.

Anyone else had this? Mini being taken in tomorrow for a look at and the garage mentioned my September bought mini had 2 recalls on the list to be done. Rear seat and shock absorber issue. (Think that's what they said)

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
6 weeks doesn't seem long, unless your battery was in a poor state to begin with, maybe lots of night time driving with air/con, heated seats on etc?

Battery Low mentioned on this thread too:

Battery Discharging

Let us know what the garage says tomorrow about it.

·
Super Moderator
7,902 Posts
Good grief starting a car takes oodles out of the battery. If you left it 6 weeks fine but start and move it then switch off is a guaranteed killer even a new battery wouldn't stand . Do what it says the car needs driving for at least 30 mins if not more.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys.
Will let you know what the garage says!

·
Registered
890 Posts
There are systems on these cars, certainly those with the comfort access option, that do not shut down completely when the car is "cold and dark", so 6 weeks is IMO longer than I would like to leave it before giving it a good recharging run.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I believe the manual says to put a charger on the battery if not driving for extended periods.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well chaps garage said there was 44% charge in the battery by the time it was driven 40miles to the garage. They said the same that the systems draw even when not in use and that starts use juice. Battery wasn't damaged or faulty just needs longer runs! So for now until I'm recovered from my op the family will have to drive it.... Lol.

·
Super Moderator
7,902 Posts
Yes if you need to move it give it a decent run.not good for the catalyst either.. wishing you a very speedy recovery. J

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
Not used my mini other than the odd move it up and down the drive way in 6 weeks. As I've had an operation!

Anyways my car was moved for me today by a relative and they got messages on the screen concerning battery drains. (Attached pics)
Now I know its not had a run out in 6 weeks but surely they shouldn't drain. I've had 5 minis and this is the first oddity I've wondered over.
Minis always been reliable so I'm not knocking it by any means.

Anyone else had this? Mini being taken in tomorrow for a look at and the garage mentioned my September bought mini had 2 recalls on the list to be done. Rear seat and shock absorber issue. (Think that's what they said)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought a brand new Mini seven months ago and put it in a garage for about a month to six weeks as I had another car to use. Went to start the car (Mini), which started first time, but a warning came up saying I needed to replace the battery. Rang the dealership and they advised me to put a trickle charger on it and if I had any problems to come and see them. I've driven the car since the warning light came on with no problems but the warning light won't go off. Went to the dealership yesterday and was told that that the battery had been 'compromised' and 'it' had decided it couldn't be relied on, perhaps in the winter, when power was needed the most.
To remove the warning it will cost me £259 for the cost of a new battery and labour to fit it.
I've been driving for 47 years and if a battery was low or flat, you just re-charged it.....

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Dont pay £259 for a battery from the dealer, they are ripping you off. Connect it to a battery charger I would leave if on charge for a while. If the light won't go out after this and you want a new battery, buy from Eurocarparts or similar and just get the dealer to code it. Total cost should be less than £100.

·
Super Moderator
7,902 Posts
Look after and be careful with the batteries folks. Modern cars full of electrics (alarm is on) and stop start tech don't like not being used.Not do batteries. If left pop them on a maintenance charger as lead aside hate being flat. ANd they're more expensive than you might think due to stop start tech requiring high cca. Our jcw currently on Euro cp after discounts is £154 and that is lion brand is not premium.£200 for Bosch,exide! In contrast my daughters non stop start fiat 500 cost 41! Mine's going on charge this am. (Panic)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts