Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is a little long but great info if you want to upgrade your audio system so get some Popcorn and Beer.:D:D

This video describes the complete procedure for removing factory speakers in an Mini Cooper with the basic HiFi or Harman Kardon audio system and replacing them with Bavsound's Stage One factory speaker upgrade kit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Curious if anyone has installed. I was surprised that the HK system was so poor. I had seen mentioned by other posters but figured audiophiles. I have a 2008 Mercedes-Benz GL with the HK system and find it has much better sound at 10 yrs and 200k miles. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I don’t have satellite yet as I have to have mini program the car. The Closest dealership is 5 hrs away. So it may be some time. Curious also if the satellite makes a big difference.
Thank you

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am about to install it in a 5 door next week ... will keep you updated guys. I have seen that video even before ordering the kit, but my order arrived with two pieces of a strange harness that never shows on the video, let see if they didn't sent me the wrong kit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am about to install it in a 5 door next week ... will keep you updated guys. I have seen that video even before ordering the kit, but my order arrived with two pieces of a strange harness that never shows on the video, let see if they didn't sent me the wrong kit.
I just got my kit today. Mini also has these 2 harness. They are for a pillar tweeter. But my question is the speaker already has a resistor on it and so does harness adapter. Not sure if it needs both?

·
Registered
14 Posts
ok...update after trying 2 f55 /that's 20 speakers upgrade of 22 ) ..... if you don't have a complete circuit the HU won't give you any error yet you can't get a complete Chanel test (L or R)

so... plug Tw and mid in every fkng door

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have the bavsound system in my F56, both the speakers and the subs.

i did not have the HK sound.

Its a nice upgrade. You wont have brain killing bass as you can imagine, but it's well balanced.

·
Registered
14 Posts
update... completed 6 front speakers of my mini that’s 2 door mid 2 tw door and center array.

As bluef56 said the extra harness are i clouded to solve for A pillar connection, all other pairs are connected in chain with the tweeter after the mid, I think there is a gate/filter/x over of some kind as well

first impression close to navwizard, as stated in other reviews there is no more power it’s just more “presence” and clarity given the size of magnets and quality of materials

with flat eq the tweeters are annoyingly high pitched,the instructions asks for 10 hour brake in period.

will keep you updated

·
Registered
14 Posts
Setup completed, 10 Bavsound and 4 door insulation installed.

Back doors installation easier than front "just" about 40 minutes each, might be just the experience obtained and starting fresh.

After all installed I went back to the Bavsound suggestion to setting EQ flat (again).... and I keep my first impression that the twitters are very aggressive and high pitched. NEW FINDING: the feeling of the bass kicking past 3/4 of the volume know is now gone with with 5 of those tw working together shadowing the power of the stock underseat woofers.

For now I played a little with the EQ to reduce the highs and gain back the bass kick.... lets enjoying it for some hours to break in and go back to the flat EQ.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.