Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, my brand new 15 plate Mini Cooper has been damaged when being valeted for me to pick up. All of the piano black trim has been scratched & the outside black trim has been marked with white polish. I would have thought people working with BMWs and minis would know that getting polish in the black trim is a big no no & also I have read that the piano black trim gets easily marked ??

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am currently talking to my dealer about me too. Covered in swirl marks and a few scratches. I'd have done it myself but car had already been done by the "valeters". Mines will need machine polished and being Thunder Grey I want it swirl free. We will see what tomorrow brings as I declined their offer to get it done again by their valeters.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They have told me that piano black scratches can't be polished out apparently they have tried it before. I will be worried even if they offer to replace the trim in the dash as when I had a roof trim replaced on my old mini they scratch all round the roof in doing it! Also, I think they will just use some of that back to black stuff on the outside trim but that's only a temporary fix and I wouldn't want all the outside black trim replacing for the reason as above. I can't believe that I even find myself in this situation, I've only had the car 2 days and I feel like my new car has already been ruined by their incompetent valeters! If I had noticed before signing all the paper work I wouldn't have taken delivery but that's probably why they get you to sign first!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Where did you buy it from? Take pictures and complain to MINI directly. The trim can be replaced but will be prone to scratches (I have the same). The polish residue will also come off the trim using the correct products. A professional detailer will fix all the paint issues, ask MINI to pay for it. Try not to get too stressed, all your issues are fixable and then you'll love the car !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks panch, you are right, I shouldn't stress it's nothing that can't be fixed! My dealership is mini North Wales and to be fair all the sales team have been great just this stupid valeter person!

·
Registered
844 Posts
By all means keep MINI in the loop but your contract of sale lies with the dealer just like these problems do.
Tell them you will reject the car if they are not fixed perfectly. You should be given a brand new car in fault free condition.
I instructed my dealer not to have the car touched at all other than to carefully remove the transit tape on the outside.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ken is right however if they don't resolve the issue to your satisfaction then MINI will definitely get involved. Unfortunately most dealer valets are the same and are rarely, if ever perfect. Ideally they wouldn't have touched mine but it was too late as they already had it in stock :-(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish I'd know, I would have told them not to clean it I means it's brand new does it really need cleaning. I'll give the dealership a chance to put everything right only if I'm still not happy will I go to mini directly. Unfortunately, not much will happen over the bank holiday weekend. It's anoying as I've been off a week and will now be inconvenienced in having to go back and get it fixed. Shouldn't need anything fixed on a new car! ?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sorry to hear of your woes, sounds like they let the work experience trainee loose on it :eek:

I have heard of Piano Black trim being successfully polished (though not by your Dealer by the sound of it!).

Might be worth seeking out an independent opinion by a Professional Detailer prior to your Dealer ripping out the trim to replace it. The outside should be readily sortable.

Piano Black is notorious for scratching even microfibre clothes can inflict them. I was recommended to use micro suede ones instead.

Regards Bob

·
Registered
109 Posts
you do have my genuine sympathy but are scratches/swirling on piano black trim an inevitability? if so i'd be tempted to live with it and maybe accept a token gesture if it's offered?

·
Registered
93 Posts
you do have my genuine sympathy but are scratches/swirling on piano black trim an inevitability? if so i'd be tempted to live with it and maybe accept a token gesture if it's offered?
I disagree that it is inevitable; looked after carefully they shouldn't become marred.

From new I applied this with a very soft cloth/make-up pad:

http://www.motorgeek.co.uk/cgi-bin/ecom.cgi?Command=ShowProduct&db_pid=262

And now I just wipe over with a high quality microfibre or microsuede cloth. Lots out there:

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/car-care/towels-and-microfibres.aspx?page=1

or

http://www.gtechniq.com/products/auto/mf3-micro-suede-cloth

Of course heavy handedness in daily use can introduce marks e.g. knocking the trim with ringed fingers etc.

I thought twice about choosing Piano Black when spec'ing my MINI but decided to go with it in the end.

Regards Bob

·
Registered
494 Posts
Unfortunately, my brand new 15 plate Mini Cooper has been damaged when being valeted for me to pick up. All of the piano black trim has been scratched & the outside black trim has been marked with white polish. I would have thought people working with BMWs and minis would know that getting polish in the black trim is a big no no & also I have read that the piano black trim gets easily marked ??
I am sorry to hear about your dilemma.

I have had numerous issues at my dealership. BUT, I have raised my issues with the General Manager...guess what, everything was resolved to my satisfaction.

My suggestion is for you to do the same. There is no excuse for them to treat you this way. They have higher standards than this, and somebody has dropped the ball.

Good Luck and please keep us informed.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Had the same thing with my thunder grey cooper s. Filled with swearls. Going to polish it myself. Dealer didn't handle it well its a shame. But to give it back and let them do it. No , it coud get even worser then...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts