Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody!

I am looking forward to purchasing MINI and would like to know how does the car behave without Driving Modes feature? There is a similar thread on northamericanmotoring.com, but no definite answer there, as all american versions seem to have Driving Modes by default.

·
Super Moderator
7,872 Posts
Hard to describe. You need to drive it but as you'd expect for day to day use perfect . Green mode is very boring but I do love sport mode!

·
Registered
844 Posts
I did not bother with this.
I had an r56 s with sport mode and did not like the very non-linear (jerky) throttle response or the strangled feeling on the steering.
Hopefully these things are better on the f56.
Note that the car is not faster in sport mode, planting your right foot delivers the same performance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking for MCS with manual gearbox. Currently I have tried Driving Modes when test driving MC at local dealer. It feels like I could skip this feature as you have to pay for it separately.

The question is: how does the car feel (throttle response / steering) if there is no Driving Mode selector at all? Is it like MID or like SPORT? Or like GREEN :) ?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I did not bother with this.
I had an r56 s with sport mode and did not like the very non-linear (jerky) throttle response or the strangled feeling on the steering.
Hopefully these things are better on the f56.
Note that the car is not faster in sport mode, planting your right foot delivers the same performance.
Interesting. I loved sport mode and always switched it on when starting. The throttle response was quick and eager and the steering felt more solid.

Agree car was not faster in sport mode. Just seemed like it was.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I don't know how it would drive: I've assumed that it would be stuck in "Mid". I've always thought that the Driving Modes option ought to be standard, but I guess there are people who don't need/want the Sport and the Green. Yes, as Jeremy says, driving in Green mode can be rather boring, but if you're stuck in city traffic, it's just fine. And if you're concerned about fuel consumption I think you would need Green mode to get anywhere near the mpg figures claimed by the manufacturer. You certainly don't need Sports mode to have fun in the car, and I've been surprised by how much power is available in Mid. As Uke says though, the throttle ismore responsive in Sports mode, so you get better acceleration in short bursts, and if you go for the adjustable dampers option you can configure things for a harder ride in Sports too, which makes for quite a big difference with Mid.

·
Super Moderator
7,872 Posts
kenl is right sport mode just makes the car feel faster as the first bit of throttle is sharpened makes no differenc to ACTUAL performance.It does firm the steering. You either like it or don't. Green mode cuts things like air con and puts autosdtop start on a more sensitive setting but it's not essential. You need to go to a dealer and compare.

Reactions: kenl

·
Registered
64 Posts
...There is a similar thread on northamericanmotoring.com, but no definite answer there...
Looks like you may get no definite answer here either.

Everyone, the question posed is "Which mode is most like the driving experience in a car WITHOUT the driving modes feature." The OP is not asking what the driving modes are like.

I've never been in a car without the driving modes, but I would assume a car without modes would be like MID. Again, no definite answer. You might ask a dealer with a car on the lot without driving modes.

·
Super Moderator
7,872 Posts
I agree with you fatherfork. It's one of those questions that's is really tricky and requires a good dealer!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You might ask a dealer with a car on the lot without driving modes.
I plan to ask dealer all my questions, but this forum already gave me answers to the questions the dealer could not answer :) That's why I try here first, and also hope this will help other people to make decisions.

·
Super Moderator
7,872 Posts
Good luck mat. I don't think you will be disappointed. If you hav ent got it you can't miss it if you kn ow what I mean.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I plan to ask dealer all my questions, but this forum already gave me answers to the questions the dealer could not answer :) That's why I try here first, and also hope this will help other people to make decisions.
Definitely post the answer here when you get it. I'm sure others will have this question, so you can be the source for the answer. I hope you have a good dealer with the info you're looking for.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I made the assumption that without the driving mode option, it would be similar to the mid mode which means no weightier steering, no increased throttle response, no additional pops and crackles on the over run (I think this is only on the 2.0 petrol models).

The variable damper changes in the modes is not possible without the different driving mode option I suspect.

Since owning my car with driving modes, I most enjoy it in Sport mode (I have variable dampers) where the increased throttle response does give a subjective impression that it's quicker (even though it's not) and the weightier steering does give more confidence when attacking a corner at speed (even though it won't corner any quicker)... These are subjective feelings which I suspect for most may give greater driving pleasure but for some, although it may make no difference to others..

If you get the chance, I would try and test drive a car with the driving modes to see if makes enough of a difference for you...

One thing that does frustrate me a little is that I wish it was a little more configurable instead of just having the option of selecting drive train, chassis or both... I like the weightier steering but may want softer damper setting or I like the sharper throttle response but not the extra exhaust pops and crackles, so the only options are all or nothing for drivetrain (sharper throttle and pops and crackles on over run) and/or chassis (steering and variable dampers)

·
Registered
615 Posts
so do you recommend me not to pay extra money to get or to have that DAMPER CONTROL????
The variable damper control is a very nice feature which makes it softer -10%, in Eco & mid modes, than std. car and firmer +10% in Sport mode.

If you feel this adjustment is of no value to you, then no need to pay extra for variable dampers...

PS If you do decide to modify your suspension for something like JCW Pro suspension kit then you can't do this if you have variable dampers factory fitted

·
Registered
193 Posts
No Driving Modes then it'll be Mid as that is probably what they use when getting mpg certification. I haven't found a use for Green mode. Sport mode throttle is better for control of the car including nipping into gaps in town traffic and overall it is faster if you have the auto. I'd miss Sport mode even with standard dampers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
so do you recommend me not to pay extra money to get or to have that DAMPER CONTROL????
Absolutely essential to get the Dynamic Damper Control. It adjusts based on the driving mode you select:

Firm ride in sport mode
Easier ride in normal
Softer ride in eco

The latter two make for a more comfortable drive when you encounter pot holes, ridged concrete and so on. When wife is with me, will drive normal and softer ride. When it's just me, strictly sport mode with the baffles wide open.:eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts