Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Curious as to what the best break in proceudre is. Is it drive it like normal (I have a lead foot at times) from the get go, or is there a recommended limit of RPMS/MPH that I should be taking it to?

Experiences or advice that was provided to you?

·
Registered
216 Posts
What johnan said. I found it interesting that when taking delivery a lot of time was spent on explaining dashboard electronics, but nothing was said about break in. The manual only mentions the 4500 rpm limit. So I agree it's a good idea not to overly stress the engine, but other than that I am pushing it as much as possible. You want to wind through the gears and vary rpm's. The conventional wisdom on modern engines is NOT to baby them on break in. When I bought a new BMW motorcycle 15 years ago, the advice was the same.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Shouldn't it all be very similar for all modern cars?
Do variable engine load and variable RPM, but don't overdo it (don't hard accelerate), and don't use cruise. After about 1000 miles, or when you deem it's enough, I start using harder acceleration once in a while as needed ONLY when the engine and everything is operating temperature.

·
Super Moderator
8,023 Posts
I concur hp7. I do not like the thrash it from New philosophy as everything is bedding in. This makes a fast engine but a short lived o.e from my experience with model planes.. Lots of variety 's key . Low load ie gentle but varied and gradually build up. I quickly stopped taking note of the fish as he tells you to change too r
Early and Labour's the engine.

This is what we did on our 2010 cabrio. Never ever used a drop of oil in 16000 miles so this is what we've done with our roadster and f56. Can't harm imo .

0-1000mile of varied rev driving change gear max revs 3000 if on motorway vary speed and change gear often.

1000-2000 miles. MaX 4000 revs
2000-3000 mils max 5000
Then crucially when . Engine warm give it the full beans. From then on. Only go for it when warm! never thrash a cold engine

·
Super Moderator
8,023 Posts
Ps I then change the oil every 6000 miles ie twice before minido it officially. Just peace of mind. This regime seems to suit. Had a lovely Toyota 'mk2 mr2 that had done 160000 miles and soundedd sweet as a nut when I sold it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have never been sympathetic on any new car i have owned.

You will do far more damage by using too low a gear and not letting the engine get to operating temperature.

Just drive it and enjoy.

PS

Interestingly, i have been in the fortunate position to drive at speed Aston Martins and Porcshe at Aston Martins test facility here in the uk.(sadly not my cars)
It involved being nominated a Test driver for the day, who spent the whole day teaching me how to drive quickly.. i was at the wheel for 80% of the day.. The guy also mentioned on numerous occasions that that the cars that produced the most grunt, were the ones that got hammered from day 1..

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have never been sympathetic on any new car i have owned.

You will do far more damage by using too low a gear and not letting the engine get to operating temperature.

Just drive it and enjoy.

PS

Interestingly, i have been in the fortunate position to drive at speed Aston Martins and Porcshe at Aston Martins test facility here in the uk.(sadly not my cars)
It involved being nominated a Test driver for the day, who spent the whole day teaching me how to drive quickly.. i was at the wheel for 80% of the day.. The guy also mentioned on numerous occasions that that the cars that produced the most grunt, were the ones that got hammered from day 1..
Our first R56 CooperD I hammered it and it was a rocket with no faults engine and drive anyway, but our last R56 CooperD was a dealer car, it wouldn't have pulled the skin of a rice pudding. They were identical cars 4 years apart

·
Registered
890 Posts
If the BMW engineers specify a break-in period is required, then that is what should be observed.

These are a new sophisticated design of engine and if they think the components need a bedding in regime then so be it as far as I am concerned.

As JB suggests I would prefer an early oil change to be required too, but if the filters are high standard , which I am sure they are, maybe they feel it would be an unjustified expense although still a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
8,023 Posts
Yes I may not change the filter Jonan. On our previous minis I did however as its cheap and easy. Not sure where it is on the new engine btw,has anyone noticed where it is. But as for the oil, I think With turbo and the heat they run at its a cheap precaution to prevent turbo bearing failure,even with these long life oils. For eg we ran a 2012 cabriolet alongside a 2010 cooper s s hatch. The s with the turbo engine oil was black at 6000 miles every change whereas the cooper na engine was still only golden. Same oil too.fully synthetic Castrol edge. For max £50 to diy it's not expensive. I keep the receipts and give them to the new owner. Shows you care , makes sale easier, dealer was impressed when I part exd mine and had I kept it I would have benefited am sure as the r56s was running beautifully with 44000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
So the question for me is, listen to the engineers who designed the engine, or listen to random yahoos on the internet who are either a) as knowledgeable about engine break-in as the engineers, or b) blowing smoke out their tailpipes.

I'm afraid I'm going have to go with the engineers on this. Sorry, Random Internet Yahoos. And good luck to the people who buy your car when you trade it in.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
my thoughts precisely uke, one reason for me buying brand new this time![
I wonder if a reason my R56 blew up (apart from me installing the JCW tune and then driving it like I stole it) might have something to do with how the car was broken in by the previous owner.

Buying a used car is always a crapshoot. If the previous owner took good care of the car, and broke it in carefully, then you're golden. If the car was a gift from Daddy to some testosterone-poisoned teenager, well good luck.

I too bought new this time. I want to keep the car as long as possible. So I'm going to baby it as specified by the engineers. Once it is run in, whoo buddy!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts