Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this forum is quite international, but thought it would be interesting to see everyone's opinions on their favourite roads to drive their Mini on. Also as a follow on, I noticed a lot of members have some really nice photographs of their Mini's with really nice backgrounds, so in a similar vein, where is everyone's favourite photo spot?

Personally, we visit Wales a lot, and I love driving the Mini around the twisty country roads. In particular recently we drove to Hay-on-Wye which involved driving through the Brecon Beacons. Some fantastic national speed limit roads, most notably the A479. I was a bit tentative at the start (being a new car) but by the end was quite happily taking the corners at pretty high speeds and being amazed at how well the Cooper stuck to the road and handled.

I personally haven't got a perfect photo of my Mini yet, but would love to get some better shots around the Clifton suspension bridge. There's also a really nice tunnel covered in graffiti in Bristol that I think will look great with the Cooper in front of it. I'll hopefully try to get down there soon and see what I can do.

Would be interested to here your experiences :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am looking forward to driving my car from the dealership in Oakville in Ontario, Canada up to my Aunt's to let her take a test drive. Nicest route would be doing a scenic drive of:

Bronte Rd to the Queen Elizabeth Way and let the car scream to Guelph Line. Drive north on Guelph Line, East on Derry Rd to Appleby Line. Appleby Line to Limestone Rd back to Guelph Line into Campbellville.

It's a stunning route in all seasons except for grey winter days. Lots of hills but up and down the Escarpment, nice turns, and country roads save for the QEW.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I did a trip from Essex to the Scottish Highlands in September. The A82 that takes you past Loch Lomond and past the Glencoe mountains can only be described as both stunning and dramatic.

Not too much traffic, but enough to stop you opening the MCS up - so you do get the opportunity to appreciate the views.

Also travelled through the Pennines on the way to Scotland - that was also stunning scenery, but you have to keep an eye out for the sheep!

And we did find an interesting little road in the East Yorkshire Moors between Masham and Lofthouse (Fearby Road, Kid Bank, Pott Moor, Trapping Hill) - only came across 4-5 cars max for the duration. Again, stunning views, but mind the sheep.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I would like to see some sympathy shown for the hardships of those of us whose job takes us into the Pennines and Cheviots on utterly deserted roads where performance and grip above 90 matters. This was is the depths of winter in a previous R57 with black ice on some corners - on winter tyres, real fun:

And 'the show must go on' - this is the one time I couldn't get a Mini on winters to a remote job. A lorry from a builder's merchant had dug such big ruts that I only just reversed out at this point when my belly pan was bottoming out on the snow whenever a wheel dropped into one of the ruts. But again, good fun:

PS I was born 'doon sooth', so know what grim motoring is, and it ain't here....

Attachments

·
Registered
608 Posts
Down your way there are plenty. Burrington Coombe, Cheddar, all sorts.

One of my faves was always the A359 between Nunney Catch and Bruton... Great blast, probably ruined now though... I've very old...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.