Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Mini Electric level 2 - 2021
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't find anything definitive using the search function.

My smart meter was installed two weeks ago (although still not active yet....) and I'm in a position to change suppliers if needed (ie, my minimum contract period with the current supplier has long passed) but it's a bit of a mindfield.

How much do you favour a good overnight rate but at the expense of a higher daytime rate.

Anyone looked into it in depth ?

I'm currently with Octopus and they have offered me two alternatives (especially for EV cars) but it looks like I would have to put timers on the dishwasher, washine machine, tumble dryer and do all my welding projects in the garage overnight for either of their offers to better the current (discounted) fixed tariff I'm on.

A lot of it seems to come down to use (of the EV), ie, how much mains electricity do you need per day to charge it - I only bought it as a run-around so it doesn't use much electricity anyway. I guess I'm probably going to have to create a spreadsheet of everything electrical in the house/garage and what times they use power...

·
Premium Member
2020 Mini Electric Cooper S - Level 2 - White Silver / Energetic Yellow
658 Posts
I’m on OctopusEnergy Go Faster tariff which seems average for daytime rate at 14p and very cheap at night at 5p. My cheap tariff also starts at 20:30 so it is easy to use washer, dryer etc in low tariff

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
323 Posts
I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't find anything definitive using the search function.

My smart meter was installed two weeks ago (although still not active yet....) and I'm in a position to change suppliers if needed (ie, my minimum contract period with the current supplier has long passed) but it's a bit of a mindfield.

How much do you favour a good overnight rate but at the expense of a higher daytime rate.

Anyone looked into it in depth ?

I'm currently with Octopus and they have offered me two alternatives (especially for EV cars) but it looks like I would have to put timers on the dishwasher, washine machine, tumble dryer and do all my welding projects in the garage overnight for either of their offers to better the current (discounted) fixed tariff I'm on.

A lot of it seems to come down to use (of the EV), ie, how much mains electricity do you need per day to charge it - I only bought it as a run-around so it doesn't use much electricity anyway. I guess I'm probably going to have to create a spreadsheet of everything electrical in the house/garage and what times they use power...
The problem is that the price is dependent on demand, which is why the cheap period is always when demand is low during the night and when it’s harder to use the high demand items. Octopus have a tariff that changes depending on demand, and therefore cost, but it seems like there’s too much faffing around to make it work.
I just weighed up the main tariff costs with the charging cost balanced against some other tariffs and concluded that Octopus Go was best. I don’t think there’s anything that will give you a better rate than the one that @Parky14 is on during peak usage periods.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting.....
The Octopus energy go tariff they offered me was "5p/kWh between 00:30 - 04:30" not from 20:30 onwards hence my mention of fitting timers to dishwasher, tumble dryer, washing machine etc.
I have asked to be changed to it (despite the times) pending me finding something better in case brand loyalty counts for anything....

·
Registered
528 Posts
I’m on OctopusEnergy Go Faster tariff which seems average for daytime rate at 14p and very cheap at night at 5p. My cheap tariff also starts at 20:30 so it is easy to use washer, dryer etc in low tariff
I'm on Octopus Go Faster too, 13.31p during the day and 5p from 20.30 to 00.30.
My total average rate for the last 5 months has been under under 10p.

·
Premium Member
2020 Mini Electric Cooper S - Level 2 - White Silver / Energetic Yellow
658 Posts
Interesting.....
The Octopus energy go tariff they offered me was "5p/kWh between 00:30 - 04:30" not from 20:30 onwards hence my mention of fitting timers to dishwasher, tumble dryer, washing machine etc.
I have asked to be changed to it (despite the times) pending me finding something better in case brand loyalty counts for anything....
Octopus Go starts at 00:30. But they have a trial tariff called Go Faster where you can select start time and duration.
You need to ask them if you can move to the Go Faster tariff.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Octopus Go starts at 00:30. But they have a trial tariff called Go Faster where you can select start time and duration.
You need to ask them if you can move to the Go Faster tariff.
Interesting, I will certainly ask them but not until my smart meter is "connected".
Day 13 since installation and they say "up to" 14 days. They have ignored my emails so they will get a phone call tomorrow.

This was never going to be easy, the guy who installed the smart meter said there were issues with the supply in our village (which I was already well aware of). The guy who came to do the survey for the BP wall box said the same and said I'll put in the request for the area board to upgrade your incoming fuse to 80A (currently 60A) but he said there is no way they will fit a 100A which is what is really needed because of all the other issues with supply to the village.

·
Registered
2019 F55 Cooper S Sport, Solaris Orange, DCT
69 Posts
Many white goods devices have a delay timer facility built-in, worth looking into?

I am interested in this thread and following, however my research so far has left me with no EV-specific options because we take only electricity from energy suppliers since we have no mains gas (we use oil for heating and water) and all the EV-specific tariffs I've seen so far are for dual-fuel supply only.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many white goods devices have a delay timer facility built-in, worth looking into?

I am interested in this thread and following, however my research so far has left me with no EV-specific options because we take only electricity from energy suppliers since we have no mains gas (we use oil for heating and water) and all the EV-specific tariffs I've seen so far are for dual-fuel supply only.
Octopus, despite the issues I have with them, have had no problem supplying me electric only and quoting the EV rate (which I have provisionally accepted).
I too, being rural, am electricity only, oil for heating and hot water winter (immersion hetar in summer, the oil boiler isn't efficient at water only).
It maybe because I have been a customer for quite some time (brand loyalty ? ) but maybe try to get a quote from them, you can register on-line.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Octopus, despite the issues I have with them, have had no problem supplying me electric only and quoting the EV rate (which I have provisionally accepted).
I too, being rural, am electricity only, oil for heating and hot water winter (immersion hetar in summer, the oil boiler isn't efficient at water only).
It maybe because I have been a customer for quite some time (brand loyalty ? ) but maybe try to get a quote from them, you can register on-line.
Oooh, that IS interesting! I'll look into it. I'm also interested in your boiler vs immersion heater comparison; I hadn't thought about using electricity through the summer (not that we use much oil to heat water anyway, compared to the alarming rate the oil drops over winter with the heating on!).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Try either of these two links

GO: Octopus Energy
Agile: Introducing Agile Octopus: The 100% green smart tariff with Plunge Pricing

They may only work if you are already a customer but they may link you to the page to transfer supplier as well.

Our oil boiler is an old floor standing one, it chucks out loads of heat just from the casing (the insulation is as thin as they could get away with) so if used for water only in the summer, it uses half the oil to heat the utility room it's located in.

Another reason for trying to get one of these cheap overnight tariffs, our hot water tank is very large and well insulated so I could put a timer on the immersion heater supply so it also only uses the cheap electricity.

Obviously this all requires my smart meter to start working.... 14 days so far and it still isn't "on-line" yet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Our boiler is quite new but still gives off some heat to its surroundings - which is nice because it is in the garage so my motorbike and bicycles are kept in a heated garage and it makes working in there much nicer in the winter!

Thanks for the links. 👍🏻

·
Registered
528 Posts
Octopus with be quite happy to supply you with electricity only.
Get yourself £50 when you join and £50 for me with this link:

share.octopus.energy/gray-eland-134

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My smart meter took 18 months to come online with Pure Planet.
Is that some kind of record or what I have to look forward to ???
Octopus stated "up to 14 days".
UK government says anyone who actually applies for one, it must be installed and working by the end of 2021 and everyone else by the end of 2025.
I'm sure Octopus will enjoy my daily emails and/or phone calls until it does start working.
The strange thing is the indoor monitor worked immediately even though they said it wouldn't work until the meter was "on-line"

·
Registered
98 Posts
I’ve just switched Octopus Go and my smart meter worked pretty much immediately. All this in prep for the charger (Zappi) which arrived today, fitting on the 6th Oct. Car scheduled to arrive 8th Nov so no direct experience yet.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’ve just switched Octopus Go and my smart meter worked pretty much immediately. All this in prep for the charger (Zappi) which arrived today, fitting on the 6th Oct. Car scheduled to arrive 8th Nov so no direct experience yet.
When you say worked "pretty much immediately" was that an already installed smart meter and you just changing supplier ?
Getting a new one installed and getting it to work seems a lot longer for a new installation.

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
323 Posts
My only issue with Octopus is that I had to go onto a normal tariff for gas and electric before they would transfer me to Go. The problem has been that where I get gas bills each month I have to request the electric. Not a huge problem to me as it fits my charging needs but it’s nice to have everything running smoothly. They did say once that as it’s a beta tariff there may be the “odd problem”.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I've just lost another 20 minutes of my life talking to someone at Octopus who says they have no record of the smart meter being installed even though I watched the installer enter all its details onto his connected device to update the Octopus account.
And all this despite Octopus arranging for the installation.
Time to change supplier I think.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts