Mini Cooper Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
When I changed to Octopus I had no smart meters. I asked to have smart meters installed when I joined which was during lockdown.
Within a month of joining I was offered dates for smart meter installation and they were duly installed three weeks later. The electric meter worked almost immediately but the gas meter took quite a few weeks to come on stream. So far I have been very impressed with Octopus, the only complaint I have is as @Stuts11 says they are slow at providing bills!

·
Registered
Mini Electric level 2 - 2021
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I guess I'm just unlucky...
Meter installed over two weeks ago but Octopus don't recognise it and I just tried a quote from EdF and it came back as no smart meter at my address.
Maybe the installer screwed up the registration process ?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Meter installed over two weeks ago but Octopus don't recognise it and I just tried a quote from EdF and it came back as no smart meter at my address.
I suspect this is the case. Mostly they contract out the installs from what I can tell.

·
Registered
530 Posts
There is a website that tells you if smart meter readings are being generated that's how I found out mine were working. I'll see if I can remember what it was.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Have a look at n3rgy, IIRC you may have to register.

·
Registered
791 Posts
DCC are the company who supply smart meter readings to the energy suppliers

·
Super Moderator
7,825 Posts
Right PFP energy have gone bust-so we have to move-Octopus Go seems by far the best route-but we're not on a smart meter-so when we switch how long do people have to wait for their meter-I presume we order through Octopus?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Right PFP energy have gone bust-so we have to move-Octopus Go seems by far the best route-but we're not on a smart meter-so when we switch how long do people have to wait for their meter-I presume we order through Octopus?
You need to tell Octopus straight away when you switch to them that you want smart meters fitting. Mine took around 4 weeks to get an appointment and were then switched in another 3 weeks. As you live about 30 miles or so from me hopefully yours will be a similar timescale or even quicker!

Octopus referral: share.octopus.energy/gray-eland-134

·
Super Moderator
7,825 Posts
Brilliant thank you-would have defo done the referral to you too had I not already promised my mother-sorry-it might not be available by the time pfp and Britsh Gas sort things out though! Keep you posted.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Have a look at n3rgy, IIRC you may have to register.
Brilliant, I just got around to doing it this morning - well I started this morning...... the registration and log-in process is a nightmare but well worth it in the end.
Data comes in CSV format so dead easy to drop into a spreadsheet and display graphically.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
In my case, ages and I was already with Octopus. I asked for one early this year, long before I was even thinking about buying an EV but was just thinking about washing machine/tumble dryer/dishwasher going on timers.
I didn't start pushing them until I had the EV (mid/late July).
From once I pushed them (explaining why) I got a date 5-6 weeks later (31st Aug) which happened BUT it's still not "connected" so although I've applied for the tariff I can't yet have it.
You may fare better as a new customer.
I've told them I may change supplier if they don't get their act together - EdF are slightly cheaper overnight - but I can't get a proper quote from them because their automatic check says, guess what, my meter isn't connected...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thinking about it again, thanks to

"Red Mini said:
Have a look at n3rgy, IIRC you may have to register."

I now have access to all my usage data since Aug 31st (meter installation date) so it's transmitting data somewhere (the results from n3gry match my useage profile so it doesn't look like its made-up data).

But both Octopus and EdF say the meter isn't connected yet.....

I guess they just want to keep me on a high tariff as long as possible

·
Registered
530 Posts
Brilliant thank you-would have defo done the referral to you too had I not already promised my mother-sorry-it might not be available by the time pfp and Britsh Gas sort things out though! Keep you posted.
🤞it goes quickly and smoothly! I have found them to be a brilliant company to deal with, the best I have encountered.
Just keep reminding them you have an EV and need smart meters fitting ASAP.
I can recommend Alanah at Octopus she was very helpful when I moved over.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Thinking about it again, thanks to

"Red Mini said:
Have a look at n3rgy, IIRC you may have to register."

I now have access to all my usage data since Aug 31st (meter installation date) so it's transmitting data somewhere (the results from n3gry match my useage profile so it doesn't look like its made-up data).

But both Octopus and EdF say the meter isn't connected yet.....

I guess they just want to keep me on a high tariff as long as possible
So now you know the readings are being received but are the DCC supplying them to Octopus? That is the $64k dollar question!
E mail Alanah at Octopus Energy (<[email protected]) she was very helpful when I switched.

·
Registered
2019 F55 Cooper S Sport, Solaris Orange, DCT
72 Posts
Yep - we're with Utility Point who have also gone under. We've been advised to sit tight though until we're put on an Ofgem-nominated new supplier, after which we'll be able to move, penalty-free, to whoever we choose.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
It will be interesting to see if Octopus survive, although Ofgem do list them as a "large" supplier.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Yep - we're with Utility Point who have also gone under. We've been advised to sit tight though until we're put on an Ofgem-nominated new supplier, after which we'll be able to move, penalty-free, to whoever we choose.
Yes that's what happened to us too. We were with Tonik Energy for a couple of years but when they went tits up Ofgem moved us to Scottish Power. We stayed there until the move was complete then hopped it to Octopus.

·
Super Moderator
7,825 Posts
Yes we are advised to wait.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
So now you know the readings are being received but are the DCC supplying them to Octopus? That is the $64k dollar question!
E mail Alanah at Octopus Energy (<[email protected]) she was very helpful when I switched.
Invalid email address I'm afraid, with or without the < at the beginning or the random numbers at the end.
I'll try phoning again tomorrow and see if she/he exists.
Thanks for your help so far, I knew this was never going to be easy.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts