Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Cooper S Sport, DCT, Sports Suspension, Enigmatic Black
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just cleaned our car last night and wiped all the water off immediately after cleaning with the Autoglym One Pass tool. I was sceptical about buying it as it cost over £20 but it follows the contours of the cars so well and gets all the water off better than a chamois cloth! I can highly recommend this to everyone. So what car detailing tool did you buy with scepticism and now would you not want to do without?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Jumbo car sponge - 59p from B & M Bargains.
Works nicely with a bucket of water plus a dash of washing-up liquid and a tablespoonful of grit.
Perfect for the "just completed the Paris-Dakar" look.
As used by any main dealer offering a free valet with a service. (y)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just cleaned our car last night and wiped all the water off immediately after cleaning with the Autoglym One Pass tool. I was sceptical about buying it as it cost over £20 but it follows the contours of the cars so well and gets all the water off better than a chamois cloth! I can highly recommend this to everyone. So what car detailing tool did you buy with scepticism and now would you not want to do without?
I'm sure it dried the car fine, but there's no way I'll be dragging anything harder than a microfibre cloth/towel across my JCW. Hell, I even stop my neighbours talking too loudly next to it, in case the volume ripples the finish. :D

Jumbo car sponge - 59p from B & M Bargains.
Works nicely with a bucket of water plus a dash of washing-up liquid and a tablespoonful of grit.
Perfect for the "just completed the Paris-Dakar" look.
As used by any main dealer offering a free valet with a service. (y)
😂
The good news? The grit is free (and reusable)!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have used one of these in the past and as sfortis as commented I found they could drag fine grit across the surface and leave fine scratches

Personally I think they are a waste of money.

I always use a soft towel.

I used to use old toweling nappies but run out of those years ago as my son is now over 40 and potty trained 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
3 Posts
Silicon blades can drag small dust particles and create thin straight scratches so i don't really know if this is a detailing or anti-detailing tool!. A good quality microfiber towel is a better approach and always machine wash them after every use.
+1 I agree! not the best method to go for

·
Super Moderator
7,558 Posts
Me too wouldn't use one. I used to in my naive early detailing days and found lots of fine lines on the paint where cumulative use had caused fine scratches. Just make ire your paint is spotless if you do use it.

·
Registered
Cooper S 2018
7 Posts
I too think the towelling is best, but have used the blades immediately after hand washing and rinsing to get rid of excess surface water before towelling Dry properly. However since acquiring two mini’s to the garage they get only hand washed and dried with TLC 😂

·
Registered
2020 Cooper S Sport, DCT, Sports Suspension, Enigmatic Black
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting. Surely the wash mitt / sponge you rub into the car when it’s dirty is going to cause more damage than this silicone squeegee that is intended to be used when your car is clean? There shouldn’t really be any grit left :unsure:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Interesting. Surely the wash mitt / sponge you rub into the car when it’s dirty is going to cause more damage than this silicone squeegee that is intended to be used when your car is clean? There shouldn’t really be any grit left :unsure:
You mitigate that by using a no-contact wash followed by a contact 2-bucket wash. Chris Fix has a pretty watchable video of a complete car wash/clean.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bilt Hamber Auto wheel - the best wheel cleaner on the market, easy to use with best results by far - used all other brands about and this is definitely the best, can see why it has won awards.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts