Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I follow the youtube ModMINI method (see video) of getting our R53 onto four jack stands. Very easy and works great. The F56 does not have the same type of lip along the underbody and so that method won't work. My jack has a 5" circular lifting plate, so it easily fits under the factory jacking points without damage, however, where to put the jack stand if the jack is under the lifting point?

I would be interested to hear how others are getting their F56 off the ground. (I know a lift will work, but I'm talking shade-tree method here). With the large underbody covers on everything, I don't see many solid places to choose from for supporting the car. Posting photos would be awesome. A video would be even better.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is how I was instructed to put the rear of the F56 mini onto jackstands. Use the front jack pad on the drivers side to jack up the car as high as needed to also get the rear tires of the car off the ground and slide the jackstand under the rear jacking point. Lower the vehicle onto the jackstand (in the rear) and lower the front of the car back to the ground. Next move to the passenger side and complete the exact same thing making sure that both rear sides are level. Be careful when putting the jackstands under the car. DO NOT work under a car only on a jack!!! Not Safe! I will be attempting this tomorrow to install my nm rear sway bar and my "big pair". I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
199 Posts
...Use the front jack pad on the drivers side to jack up the car as high as needed to also get the rear tires of the car off the ground and slide the jackstand under the rear jacking point. ...
I agree with the above. I use the front jack pad to lift each side of the car. Then I put a jackstand under the rear lift pad, and under the front subframe right where the upright support is, about underneath the control arm inboard pivot mount. I use hockey pucks to insulate the jackstand from the car. The hard rubber reduces scraping but also allows for some articulation when raising and lowering each side of the car.

I wish I had pictures handy. Next time I get under the car I'll try to take some descriptive pictures.

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
I'm new to this forum but have been reading alot on the F56 and this is still a question that I'm still to find a good answer on it. When doing a backyard oil change on a F56 JCW, getting access underneath is somewhat important and having the car level as well to get best drain.I have a trolley jack and also jack stands but to lift all 4 wheels off the ground using these tools seems to be more difficult than it should?

Is there a central part of the car at both front and rear to use as a jack point to fit car stands on? Strong enough to support the trolley jack temporarily without causing damage to the car.
Thanks all and love the forum.
Cessa

·
Super Moderator
8,822 Posts
I'm lucky I have winter tyres so every time October or easter arrives t hey get rotated as long as I can still read my chalk marks. Axle stand under suspension mount comes to mind though I think I read somewhere there are central hard points too. Or get two trolley jacks?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I figured it out - I just made this jig out of 1/2" thick hard oak and added a couple of 1/4" carriage bolt shafts, then a second layer on the underside. The top section was cut to match the shape of the underbody felt covering, and the two pins go into holes in the steel after removing the two plastic felt sheet retainer clips. After placing this jig in place, the jacking procedure is exactly as ModMINI shows for R53s on YouTube.

DISCLAIMER: Don't try this at home, I am a crazy idiot, and you shouldn't do anything I say, using something like this could cause damage to you (or worse - your MINI), etc. etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
poor design for the home mechanic

Well, I have my jack, and I slide it underneath the car, where the end of the front wheel meets the front wheel well opening. This gives the jack room to go up and down, in order to raise the vehicle.

I lift from the center of the front cross over member. I then have the front wheels off the ground and I position my jack stands and place my aluminum lift pad adaptors between the lift point and the jack stand. I then lower the vehicle onto the jack stands, allowing me to safely work under the vehicle.

There is no other way, in my opinion to lift the vehicle without damaging the underneath of the vehicle and resting the vehicle on the lift points. Really poor design for the home mechanic, who doesn't have a lift in the garage of there home.

Cheers,

·
Registered
410 Posts
I agree with the above. I use the front jack pad to lift each side of the car. Then I put a jackstand under the rear lift pad, and under the front subframe right where the upright support is, about underneath the control arm inboard pivot mount. I use hockey pucks to insulate the jackstand from the car. The hard rubber reduces scraping but also allows for some articulation when raising and lowering each side of the car.

I wish I had pictures handy. Next time I get under the car I'll try to take some descriptive pictures.
Like this? -

[URL=http://imgbox.com/Td00Jkg9][/URL]

I'm jacking up my MINI for the first time tomorrow, just the front for brake inspection (wheels off) and oil change. The inboard control arm pivot mounts look ideal to lower onto stands if I jack from the usual front jacking points.

Has anyone sat their MINI onto these, or know if they can take the weight? I don't really want them oval afterwards!!

Cheers :)

[EDIT - picture shamelessly stolen from tweedbean's F56 project thread! page 4, thanks tweedbean!]

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
DISCLAIMER: Don't try this at home, I am a crazy idiot, and you shouldn't do anything I say, using something like this could cause damage to you (or worse - your MINI), etc. etc.
Well, you didn't say "hold my beer and watch this" so you're not irredeemably crazy or idiotic. At least compared to many people who wrench on their cars while involving homemade wooden jigs and such. See internet.

Interesting topic, underrepresented in the forum. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Although I would never recommend that anyone try to lift their car by themselves without the assistance of a trained professional, I must confess that my little fixture works EXTREMELY well. :)

Always happy to share and help!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I can report that those control arm pivot points/mounts supported the front fine. I think in future though, I might try the centre sub-frame recommended jack point to then lower onto stands at the side jack points.

Jacking from the side, the back wheels came straight off the ground too, stiff little cars! Very handy as others have said, to raise the back onto stands too.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.