Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Its a silly one but just wanted to ask for your openion.

I have recently noticed that the normal driving mode is giving me more miles per tank than the green mode. I do understand that the green mode makes the car a bit dull and the engine has to work a tad bit harder to keep up with the speed, which makes the whole process quite counter productive. Moreover you lose on the fun side too.

When do you actually use the Green mode (if you do)?

Saurabh

·
Registered
235 Posts
I use green mode and I normally get about 10-12mpg more on my 42 mile commute to work 50% motorway, 50% country roads.

·
Super Moderator
8,744 Posts
GREEN MODE GRR it is vile ; used a few times but the stupid fish gets on my nerves too. I bought a mini to enjoy driving it so mid mode most of the time and sport when i feel in need of even more fun or want to embarrass inferior cars!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Actually I find the cruise control more thirsty as it cannot predict road gradients, traffic speeds etc.
I do use cruise quiet a lot but it will drink about 3 or4 mpg more over green mode.

PS I never do the fish game it would do my head in.

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
608 Posts
What is this "Green Mode" of which you speak? ;)

It never works, it's there for EU etc consumption figures. You end up "mashing the gas" more than you normally would and using more, it pointless. My S8 has an Eco mode too.. never used it!

·
Registered
199 Posts
If you drove the car in the exact same fashion in terms of speed vs. time, then there would be exactly no difference in MPG between modes. Gasoline engines have to run near Stoichiometric in order to A) have the gas burn correctly and B) maintain their strict tailpipe emissions.

Now, the different modes re-calibrate the interface between your pedal movement and how much engine torque is delivered. If you're driving steady state at 50 MPH, the car needs an exact HP to maintain that speed. It won't matter what mode you're in, what changes is where you foot has to be to achieve that torque output. In reality the engine isn't doing anything different, it's the e-pedal that's creating a varying psychological experience based on the selected drive mode.

Since the pedal gives the perception of improved engine response in Mid and Sport mode, most people will automatically drive faster and more aggressive with those modes, whether they realize it or not. So when people claim that "Sport modes ruins my fuel economy", the translation is they're a lead foot and if they drive in Green mode their lead foot is attenuated into slower driving, thus better fuel economy.

Make sense? It's just calibration, psychology, and chemistry.

·
Registered
608 Posts
If you drove the car in the exact same fashion in terms of speed vs. time, then there would be exactly no difference in MPG between modes. Gasoline engines have to run near Stoichiometric in order to A) have the gas burn correctly and B) maintain their strict tailpipe emissions.
[/Pedant] I assume you mean they have to run close to their ideal stoichiometric ratio? [/Pedant] :p

Of course, you could have said "mixture" for those without extensive education in thermodynamics...

Hurbert II BSc Msc (Hons) MEng

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Now, the different modes re-calibrate the interface between your pedal movement and how much engine torque is delivered. If you're driving steady state at 50 MPH, the car needs an exact HP to maintain that speed. It won't matter what mode you're in, what changes is where you foot has to be to achieve that torque output. In reality the engine isn't doing anything different, it's the e-pedal that's creating a varying psychological experience based on the selected drive mode.

Since the pedal gives the perception of improved engine response in Mid and Sport mode, most people will automatically drive faster and more aggressive with those modes, whether they realize it or not. So when people claim that "Sport modes ruins my fuel economy", the translation is they're a lead foot and if they drive in Green mode their lead foot is attenuated into slower driving, thus better fuel economy.

Make sense? It's just calibration, psychology, and chemistry.
Cheers @Ryephile, very nicely put together.

·
Registered
375 Posts
If I wanted to save the planet all by myself I would've bought a bluemotion, ecoboost, greenline or one of those other eco friendly cars from another brand. I bought a MCS to have a little bit of fun and I'll come clean and admit that I mostly drive it in sport mode. Mainly because the car feels and sounds better in sport. This doesn't mean I drive like a madman all the time and I'm very satisfied with an average fuel consumption of 7,5 liter/100 km.

And for the record, just like jeremybingham, those stupid fish in green mode get on my nerves as well. Who invented this crap? It's a sporty car...not a nintendo :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
I also agree there is a very strong psychological component in these driving modes. The only benefit I've seen so far is that in Green you have what I think it's called coasting; for an automatic transmission this is indeed a fuel saver - it is also for manual but not quite recommended.

·
Banned
122 Posts
I notice that "green" mode helps save me fuel. Maybe it is because it's a psychological thing and I drive efficiently as possible. When I'm in "normal" or "sport" ill get about a tank a week (if that). When I'm in "green" mode, however, I will get almost 2 weeks out of a whole tank. If "green" mode helps me save that much gas then I will use it pretty consistently. When I am road-tripping, I will put her in sport mode, with cruise control on, and even with the A/C on I will still average around 45MPG (doing 70-80mph).

·
Registered
199 Posts
If you guys want to track your long-term fuel economy, and perhaps use as a foundation to log your various fuel economy experiments, sign up for Fuelly.com. I've been using it for over 5 years now for various cars and it's fascinating to see how where you drive, how you drive, and what season and seasonal fuel you're burning affect fuel economy. I see Nedix has it in his signature, I look forward to checking out his stats.

Here's my Fuelly log on my 2015 JCW 6mt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In regular mode in the mountains of Western Maine I am averaging 39.4 most driving is 40-60 mph and really no traffic lights. I know in my CRV and the last Civic my wife had the regular mode resulted in better mileage than green mode. Green mode on the standard transmission seems to want you to drive at 1500 rpms and do a lot of shifting.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.