Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I acquired a 128 GB USB drive (£56 at eBuyer) and crammed it full. Literally, fit to burst. My entire music collection!

I drove the MCS to work... 20 minute drive. Right as I was pulling into the car park, it completed the catalog of the stick, and I could choose the music.

It let me pick a folder as soon as I plugged it in. But I couldn't use the full selection mechanism until it had finished the catalog process.

Even now, when I move around, I get 'Please wait' messages every now and then. But, at least a 128 GB stick works!!!

I reckon I would have had to keep 180 CDs (each one full of MP3s) in the car to have that same music collection available.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Interesting to hear that. I know a lot of manufacturers music systems struggle with large capacity USBS and a lot recommend 32gb max. I've just ordered a teeny weeny 64gb stick,but haven't received it yet. Still won't hold all my music that I have on my ipod classic though. (I hate having it on show....for security reasons).
So the stick works as itunes would? Simply by cutting/pasting album folders etc?
I guess you've already filled up the MINI hard drive too?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey Donna, could you possibly explain the internal hard drive that you can load up tunes to?
What size is it? how do you manage to move the tunes, what format is required etc etc?
Does anyone know if this MINI is Apple sympathetic or only PC biased?
I.e, does anyone know if the tunes can be dragged straight from the files to the USB when using a Mac as opposed to PC?
In my experience I have always had to run Parallels (a Mac program that allows me to run XP on the Mac) and in that program I have formatted the drive and had to drag any music files I want on the stick from the Mac HD "through" Parallels and into the XP window, then into the stick.
A PAIN to say the least!

I have a very small profile 32Gb drive (about 5mm tall) so you can hardly see it when it is plugged in so I imagine I will continue to use that so it would be good if the MINI had at least 8Gb on board. Add that to the iPhone in the media cradle should keep me going from Lands End to John O'Groats!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Does anyone know if this MINI is Apple sympathetic or only PC biased?
I.e, does anyone know if the tunes can be dragged straight from the files to the USB when using a Mac as opposed to PC?

This is really the bit I am concerned about.

It is such a pain in the backside having to do it all through a PC as for me it means double handling the files.

Anyone out there use a Mac to make their lists and transfer their files to USB Stick?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update on the 128 GB drive...

It's not perfect. There is a delay each time I start the car up - presumably, it's rechecking the memory stick contents. But it does let you choose via a folder view while that scan is taking place.

I don't know if it's my bad tagging, but some artists/albums don't show up at all. No artists starting with C for example! But these are all browsable from the top level search.

I'll figure it out, and let you know. I expect there's some bad tagging somewhere.

BTW: I don't have the hard drive on my Visual Boost system.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update on 128GB drive...

I sorted all the tags, and ensured there were no non-standard character sets. (Geek-talk.)

There were some dodgy FLAC files, and a few random pictures and stuff.

Cleared all that up... and the memory stick works just fine. 128 GB of MP3s.

It's a little slow sometimes, in terms of building the list of artists/tracks, but give it a few seconds, and it works just fine. All the CDs I've ever possessed on one stick, playable in the car!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I gave up with my 64GB card. I got fed up trying to sort out playlists, even tried to put music on the hard drive but it would only seem to try and transfer my whole bliddy ipod! Argh! And the handbook is pants ....absolutely NOTHING on the music system whether its the std lump or satnavy version.

So .....my classic iPod is now securely zipped into a soft black sunglasses case and sits adjacent to the USB input. Bought a retractable black ipod lead of ebay.....so totally unnoticeable :) I must take a photo so you can see what I mean.....

Anyone wanting a cheap, barely used micro USB stick????

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi Donna you may have done this so I apologise if I'm duplicating, on my USB but before transferring any music I created a number of folders with the artists names on. Then from iTunes I right clicked on the album cover selected copy, then went back to the USB right clicked selected paste and the appropriate songs where transferred. It's a bit time consuming but worked for me and then I just have it set to random play.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.