Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if its possible to carry bikes on the new F56 without the factory fitted roof bars (which personally I think ruin the look of the roof)?

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
AHA I have the factory fitted roof bars-with the black roof-I love them-they stop loads of water dribbling in and I actually really like how they look-they are very low and unobtrusive. I was VERY worried about having to have them but really glad I did.

Any way apparently there are roof racks available if you trawl the web-esp the usa site (northamerican motoring I think have some photos of some makes that fit under the edges of the roof and have a rod that runs to the back of the car-trouble is every time you fit these any tiny speck of dust adds surface scratches to the paint-hate them!
Good luck=perhaps a towbar style one or rear mount would be best-?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many Thanks, I ll have a look, my dealer was very anti having the bars factory fitted so I ll have to go aftermarket unfortunately. Tow bar wont work as I ve ordered a MCS and so far it seems only the US have aftermarkets. Ah well!

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
VIP came out with a hidden bracket that you mount behind the rear bumper cover and you can use a Yakima rack to carry your bike

·
Registered
508 Posts
As all F56s are built with two rear towing eyes, you can also buy the official Mini bike rack to fit on the rear bumper. I have one of these for my Roadster (having ordered it with two towing eyes) and they are a good piece of kit - though maybe more than you want to take on and off frequently. F56 accessories aren't yet shown on the UK Mini Accessories web site yet, but they are on the German one.

Alternatively, the German web site is also showing roof bars that fit on a car without roof rails - the web site suggest that this includes F56s as well as previous models but isn't absolutely specific:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anyone found a rear bike rack for the Mini Cooper please? I can't afford the tow bar option and can't lift the bike into the roof, so it will have to be a rear cycle carrier.
Thanks in advance ?
Ally

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was told the rear-mount carrier was "on the way" back in April 2014. Still waiting.... At least the Germans have it. Maybe we'll get it soon. They want 660 Euro for it in Germany, but that includes the German-required extra brake lights and the associated wiring harness, along with the threaded hole for the driver-side punch out in the bumper.

I anticipate ours will have no lights and be somewhere around $600. I would not go with a strap mounted hatch carrier, as those tear up the paint where the hooks grab the car. I have had much experience with this and a Thule rack.

·
Registered
508 Posts
....along with the threaded hole for the driver-side punch out in the bumper.
Yep..

Since writing the post three above, I've found out that while all F56 have the two plastic caps in the rear bumper, there is only a threaded hole behind the left cap if 'bike rack prep' is ordered from the factory.

In the US, where repeater lights don't seem to be required, only the threaded hole would be required (and I see someone already makes a retrofit 'hole'* though the bumper has to come off to fit it).

* I knew a draughtsman who drew electricity pylons and he always added to the part list:
1 bag spare holes, for site use.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That retrofit threaded hole (I am assuming you are talking about the one from VIP) sits further out than the stock passenger side one after installation and therefore your MINI OEM bike rack would not sit even when installed. This would not matter for the two stainless rods with an aftermarket mount though. I will wait for the OEM one to come out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You can buy the genuine bracket to go behind the bumper,so the genuine bike carrier will fit, but cannot yet get the wiring kit for the bike carrier lighting.

BMW have told me if I fit my own wiring kit it will void the warranty for the cars electrics

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=XN92-EUR-10-2014-F56-Mini-Cooper_SD&diagId=51_9197
Mine has this, but don't most of the rear mounts require both mounting (screw) holes? This only has the passenger side hole, the other side is just a metal plate, with a small square/rectangular hole.

·
Registered
235 Posts
To use the MINI rear carrier the car needs to have 'Cycle rack preparation' which is only available at time of order.

I use a Saris bones 2.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Text Line Font Diagram Screenshot
Mine has this, but don't most of the rear mounts require both mounting (screw) holes? This only has the passenger side hole, the other side is just a metal plate, with a small square/rectangular hole.
If you look at the link you can buy the bracket with the two threads picture only shows 1 but parts numbers are for 2, remove the bumper replace your bracket with the new one, then you can use the genuine rear mount bike carrier, the only thing they don't make yet is the rectro fit wiring

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the.wiring.in the uk at least there's no one around to notice and stop you. They can't even stop people texting. Grrrrrrr realistically you can probably see most of the indicators and lights rearrange the bikes so you can and then just strap a spare number plate on.preferably one you found on the roadside if it's not yours even better for getting through those pesky average speed cameras!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are there any other bike carriers out there that will fit on the Mini Cooper f56 and DO NOT require special installation?

I just want to carry a single bike. I'm looking for something that can be easily attached to the hatch or something. Anyone have any experience with this? Pictures?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm looking for a hatch mounted bike rack for my F55 Cooper S. I do not have the roof rails. (They are only available in black and I have white roof)

Initially considered Thule RaceWay 992, but their product support told that it's not compatible with the MCS due to the rear spoiler the MCS has as standard.
Yakima King Pro 2 has been mentioned by some people as a viable option. Apparently the included glass hatch hooks would allow the top straps to be routed underneath the rear spoiler, thus taking the weight of the spoiler. Took a look at the spoiler construction yesterday, and to me the fitting between the spoiler and the rear glass looks to be so tight that I doubt a strap would fit through the gap.

Does someone have 1st hand experience on using Yakima KingJoe Pro 2 with F56/F55 Mini Cooper S? How well does the glass hatch hooks work in real life? Are the straps a pain to fit through the gap?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a F56 MCS and I installed a Yakima bike rack with q-towers and 128 clips. Yakima has the specifics on their website with detailed install instructions. I have a white roof with sunroof that has a blackjack decal installed. I personally think it looks good for a bike rack and have wind fairing installed to reduce wind noise.:laugh:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got this https://www.seasucker.com/shop/1187/ Although I'm not 100% comfortable with suction cups holding my bike on, there are plenty of reviews on Amazon (none of which say it fell off) so I thought I would give it a try. I've only tested it at home since I just got it but it feels solid enough. I have a sunroof and it seems to fit well with two cups on the roof and one on the windshield (which I can see and may reassure me that it is not falling off). I was going to do a Yakima roof rack but this leaves the roof bare when not in use and is less expensive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Seasucker Talon

I have a Seasucker Talon on my Mini, tested at 120km/h on the highway, lots of twisty and bad roads. No problem! Easy to instal on a clean roof, just wet the suctions cups and pump. Even easier to remove... The bad side: no lock, keep an eye on your bike while stopping for the lunch.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.