Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading the threads on bike rack options and wanted to know what people are having the best luck with on the F56. I do NOT have the second two hitch in the rear bumper - only one is installed (the right). I do not have the roof rails on mine, and I do not like the idea of drilling into the top, nor the $1000-plus in extra charges it would take to the base roof rack installed.

I saw a post about this option : http://allfabinc.com/mini/details.php?prodId=42 but can't see if anyone has actually ordered this.

Any other ideas ?

·
Registered
508 Posts
That bike rack is just the part that holds the bike(s). You would also need the Mini-Fini 'sport-link' and 'attachment base' to mount that rack on. They cost over $500 and require removal and cutting of the rear bumper cover on R56s - but I have read that they are looking at a retrofit option for the F56 to add a second socket behind the pop-out cover on the left side, so that might be less.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I used to design roof racks and bike racks for Montblanc (similar to Thule, and largest rival in Europe) to be honest you can't really go wrong with the Thule aftermarket set up and it's probably going to be a fraction of the cost compared to the OE products.

As far as noise is concerned, it's pretty much down to the quality of fit, and reducing the wind noise by ensuring all the slots in the bars are filled with the rubber covers (the slightest hole will whistle like a banshee)

Also, removing the carriers, or even the whole bars will reduce noise when not in use, and improve mpg, but it depends how often you intend to use the products - they do various ranges including a rapid fit range, with various price bands, but they all do the same job :0)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I tried to buy Thule and they didn't have anything that worked for a 14 or 15 Mini. I was bummed since I think their look is very nice. At least in the States they didn't have anything listed. I went with Yakima. Works very well. I put some paint protector under each of the 4 feet to avoid scratches, even though they come with silicon pads. You will always get scratches. The noise isn't too bad, and I can live with it to allow me to take my bike along.

[/url]Untitled by tx1911fan1, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url] by tx1911fan1, on Flickr[/IMG]

·
Super Moderator
7,885 Posts
Looks good. I was lucky as my saleslady knew I'd need roof rails for bars. The bmw mini rails fit really well and self torque on. Single handed job. Very pleased.

Attachments

Reactions: MCSMTL

·
Registered
508 Posts
I was lucky as my saleslady knew I'd need roof rails for bars.
I'm waiting to treat myself to an F57 when the Convertible comes out - and I bet they won't offer roof bars for that one!

I did have roof rails on an early SLK many years ago - so long ago that this was almost decent digital photo quality at the time. That's a replacement boom for a racing yacht about to be delivered - I did enjoy trying to persuade customers that this was the 'company van'....

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,885 Posts
Fantastic. We got the roof off to carry our Xmas tree home in our mini roadster s, and I had an mr2 mk 2 with a towbar for windsurfing trailer. Shouldvecseen the faces of the drivers of cars I overtook!

Reactions: uke

·
Registered
508 Posts
Years ago there was a windsurfer in Cumbria that had a Triumph Spitfire with raised-height roof bars (the old ones with rubber feet on the bottom) that sat on the front and rear wings, clipped down to the wheel arches, so that the windsurfer went clear over the cockpit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Black roof rails on white roof are very tacky and unattractive. I hope my cooper s has dual toe hook points at rear to do a rear mounted bike rack...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Black roof rails on white roof are very tacky and unattractive. I hope my cooper s has dual toe hook points at rear to do a rear mounted bike rack...
There are 2 flip out panel in the bumper but only one screw in point for the tow hook.

This site is selling an additional mount, and screw in posts so you can do just what you are thinking:

http://www.vipcustomparts.com/F56%20parts%20page.htm

Scroll to the bottom of the page

·
Registered
21 Posts
TX1911FAN; just wondering what q56 towers are? went to Yakima website and they say Q towers with 128 clips. Wondering if this is what you have but box is labelled Q56. I have a 15 MCS and would like to add bike carrier to roof but don't want to order the wrong stuff. would appreciate a reply at your leisure.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hmmm, maybe I remembered incorrectly. The Yakima setup from their website was correct, so go with what they say.

Don't order the Sprocket Rocket trays. They sound like they are fantastic, but they are so huge they look really out of place on a Mini. I sent them back. The Forklift are really nice in person, very slim line. I got the Viper trays and really like them. Not too big.

·
Registered
21 Posts
TX1911fan; Thanks for quick reply. I intend to get 2 highroller racks for wife & myself. Do you remove your rack & base during offseason of biking or just leave it on?

·
Registered
85 Posts
TX1911fan; Thanks for quick reply. I intend to get 2 highroller racks for wife & myself. Do you remove your rack & base during offseason of biking or just leave it on?
I live in Austin, TX so there is no offseason. I leave it on. That's also why I used 3M film under the towers I've used these racks before and they always leave scratches.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts