Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2016 Clubman S. jcw package.
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great result from our purchase of the MMI unit from Bimmertech. Our 2016 clubman cooper s had the factory Nav system and cameras etc. However Car play wasn’t available at that time. Researched the solution and while a bit on the expensive side. I have to say we are thrilled with the results. WiFi connected. Switches from I drive factory system to MMI on start up. Plane sailing from then on. Looks and works great. As of it was fitted from new. Only been installed a day but very happy so far. The iDrive controller is used to navigate the apps / options. Switches straight to camera when reverse engaged, seamless.

Attachments

· Registered
Countryman F60 JCW LCI 306 HP
591 Posts
Hi, you could just update the unit to early id5 and get oem carplay instead of installing a crappy third party mmi box in between. Just saying, not to ruin your day but these mmi boxes i am really not a fan of. Yes it is a great solution if there is no OEM solution but in most cases there is!

Plant Automotive design Vehicle Motor vehicle Personal luxury car

Motor vehicle Plant Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car

· Registered
Countryman F60 JCW LCI 306 HP
591 Posts
It does not allow fullscreen… fullscreen was adopted on mini hmi after 2020-11 istep. And all isteps higher than 17-11 will cause black screens on older units.

it is smaller but it is smooth as butter and fully integrated into the cars HMI as original. No audio swapping required and all wireless

yes fullscreen is nice when you are used to it, but when you get used to 2/3 and add some info on the right like fuel consumption its pretty good. Most importantly you dont touch your hardware or add anything in between to make it work…

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does not allow fullscreen… fullscreen was adopted on mini hmi after 2020-11 istep. And all isteps higher than 17-11 will cause black screens on older units.

it is smaller but it is smooth as butter and fully integrated into the cars HMI as original. No audio swapping required and all wireless

yes fullscreen is nice when you are used to it, but when you get used to 2/3 and add some info on the right like fuel consumption its pretty good. Most importantly you dont touch your hardware or add anything in between to make it work…
Lol. My crappy unit does. Just saying. Thanks for the feedback. All original functionality remains and the IDrive systems all integrate. Basically. My wife is main driver. Her phone connects automatically via Bluetooth, switches to the new CarPlay interface. If I’m driving it doesn’t as I don’t need it to.

· Registered
Mini F56 Challenge 210 Edition
4 Posts
The MMI box was nice until it messed up the service history in my car. For some reason the MMI box (made by andream) causes my iDrive System to think that my next vehicle health check is in 48000 miles / 2028. When unplugged it goes back to normal. Weird 🤷‍♂️ The service technician couldn't reset it and now my service history is all over the place, I guess. (I should've told them I had an MMI box plugged in). But I installed the MMI box because I'm an android user and there's no official way to run android auto on the mini iDrive system just yet.

I had my partner's mini flashed from ID4 to ID5 and it feels a lot smoother and OEM.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The MMI box was nice until it messed up the service history in my car. For some reason the MMI box (made by andream) causes my iDrive System to think that my next vehicle health check is in 48000 miles / 2028. When unplugged it goes back to normal. Weird 🤷‍♂️ The service technician couldn't reset it and now my service history is all over the place, I guess. (I should've told them I had an MMI box plugged in). But I installed the MMI box because I'm an android user and there's no official way to run android auto on the mini iDrive system just yet.

I had my partner's mini flashed from ID4 to ID5 and it feels a lot smoother and OEM.
Thanks for the heads up. Will keep an eye on it at next service.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts