Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I polished my car today for the first time using Autoglym super resin polish. When I rubbed it on the black stripes the cloth went black. Should you not polish them. Any help appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
6,876 Posts
No I have read it so me where. In the hand book i think. Polish contains a mild abrasive so eventually will take their finish off. You can wax them i think but not polish them.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It is possible a very very light polish, l manage to do it myself after a bad result with gtechniq csl + evo. If you get black stuff, you probably used too much pressure/agressive polish/time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was told by the signwriter that did my stripes that the oem ones are printed vinyl, so I would avoid polish on them as it'll eventually remove the ink and lead to fading.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I waxed mine with carnuba wax and it sort of gave them a blah appearance. However, road rash is very evident on it anyway and I just chalk it up to the price of having so much fun.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The QD will not be an issue. Skip the vinegar, or just wipe it on, don't soak it.
Does your MINI have wax on it?

waiting for an early response......

·
Registered
40 Posts
My bonnet stripes weren't in the best condition when I got it, think the dealer had used some bad acidic car wash stuff that had damaged them. So I had to polish them quite a bit with Autoglym Super Resin Polish then i've waxed them with Autoglym HD wax which seems to have brought them back up quite well.

But I did have quite a bit of black coming off while polishing but I thought well i'm going to need some new stripes anyway if they don't come up well enough.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I have used a machine polisher on mine, with a soft pad and a fine polish. They came up a treat. But they are an absolute pain in the neck to keep black. They smear at the slightest hint of detailer etc.

Such a nightmare to my OCD that I didn't spec them on the JCW.....

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've just decided to replace mine for the reason of the detailing marks. Came off really easily with mild heat applied and then purchased new ones from a decal online (£35 for 2 stripes) and were really easy to reapply. Worth doing as really brought up the car and loads of different styles away from OEM - highly recommend than trying to buff up.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I try to avoid getting polish or wax on mine...it’s difficult but I find it’s best to avoid putting anything on them! I simply use warm water to wipe down when becessary.

·
Registered
47 Posts

I ended up having mine painted! [the red only]. Removing the old stripes [2018!] left a mess... It was either repainting the whole hood or this... And now my quote is:
"When a bit more becomes too much"... ah!ah!ah!... Ticket magnet at 304 hp...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts