Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've all seen numerous MINI owners go with the blacklined "stealth look" on their MINI's, but I rarely see anyone stand-up for the stock chrome/stainless silver trim!

Admittedly, the blackline look has its virtues and can really add to the stealth look or just add to the appeal of any MINI color. But, I also believe that MINI did a good job with the chrome trim on these F56 MINIs.

I am a huge fan of blacked out chrome....my 1988 BMW E28 M5 is all black (hand built from Garching, Germany), including the bumpers and all the trim of course, so I am not bashing the stealth look whatsoever!

That being said, I really must admit that I love the chrome/stainless look trim on my stock F56 JCW! My car is "all" midnight black metallic (body, roof & mirrors). The chrome trim compliments the black & diamond cut steel trimmed 18" two-tone cup spoke wheels superbly! There's just enough silver on the black to accentuate the black and red on a JCW.

Now, if I had black wheels, possibly the trim would look better black, but I still think to go "all black" is too much personally.

The beltline trim is a throwback to the classic beltline trim of cars of the past...for instance my BMW 2002's all have stainless beltline trim...it's just "classic"! It's not really "chrome" technically, it's a stainless look.

I have never seen anyone stand up for the top notch job MINI has done with the stock trim on the F56. Anyone agree with me on this?

My JCW is staying stock for the foreseeable future, as I think it's just fine the way it is! Plus, I admit to liking "original", and not messing with something that is already awesome!

Now, I know it may depend on the "look" an owner likes, and it really does depend on the color combination. But, on an all black MINI, going "more black" may just be a bit "too much black"!

To each their own of course.....I just wanted to chime in to support the chrome trim look! :D

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I love the chrome, I think it looks really good! It's just something I had in mind when ordering my car to have this so called stealth appearance... Plus its only a wrap so I can take it off if I don't happen to like it! Stops the chrome getting scratched in the meantime.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love the chrome, I think it looks really good! It's just something I had in mind when ordering my car to have this so called stealth appearance... Plus its only a wrap so I can take it off if I don't happen to like it! Stops the chrome getting scratched in the meantime.
Brandon, I'm just thrilled you are staying with MINI....go for it & please post up photos when all blacked out! :)

John

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm with you on the standard chrome look, some black looks good but done too much and it looks too dark imo, on VO its ace . I usually go for individuality but the black is becoming pretty common on the production cars like the challenge so isn't that individual anymore, although you don't see that many on the road, just on this forum. Keep up the good work customising though guys and girls.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
I'm really divided between chrome or blacked out. Then there's the monochromatic look. I have been toying with the idea of wrapping all the chrome black on my PW with a black top . Then I consider having my headlight and taillight surrounds done in PW and keeping the rest of the factory chrome as is.
Like John I already have a Darth Vader black, black, black vehicle.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
As a Truck Driver I like Chrome on a Semi not so much on a Mini I switched the Chrome Rings out to black and know I am thinking about doing the rest.:D

Here are some image from the web of a dechromed 56

Mine's gonna like SDUK's but minus the belt-line and handles, pretty excited to see the outcome to be honest!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I must admit those blacked out taillight trim pieces on there look very nice! The dilemma is "when to stop"! LOL! I'm sort of an "all or nothing kinda guy"!

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
I do like the chrome design look but with my colour combination of chilli red and black roof and side mirrors, i would rather see a de chromed exterior. I wish it was an option on buying ( free option of chrome or black ) the mini.
For me personaly, my vote goes to the dechromed look.

·
Registered
375 Posts
My MINI is all black and I like the contrast of the chrome lining with the black paint, black wheels and dark windows. I have no intention at all to change this in the future. In my opinion it males the car special, especially when it's all shiny after the car is cleaned and the sun is shining. It gives a little 'bling' to the little bugger :D

·
Registered
266 Posts
What about a combination of both?

I have blacked out the light surrounds, fuel cap and the handles but left the beltline and front grille. The remaining chrome kind of compliments the chrome tone of the 18" JCW wheels... although I'm in two minds whether I should just bite the bullet and get the remaining chrome bits blackened too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've got a 2016 MCS in Midnight Gray with black wheels, roof, spoiler and JCW stripes. Wanted to black out the grill, headlight bezels but wife talked me out of it. Said the chrome made a nice contrast. Was at a Mini Club rally today and saw an identical Moonwalk Gray totally blacked out. Looked "muddy" compared to the contrast of chrome on mine. Glad I listened to my wife who is a graphic designer and great eyes for detail.

·
Super Moderator
8,831 Posts
Chrome for me i think it lifts the car. I might go black were it real carbon fibre but thats the only way id dechrome it. I like my cars standard. Ive got some aftermarket alloys for my winter tyres and dont really like the look. I like the standard factory look if right ie for me right means 17'' cosmos etc! Boring arent i!. I would put a stainless exhaust on a car for longevity but wouldnt want it too big etc. I buy my cars purely on looks and not the 'boy racer' look. Sorry to all the modders esch to their own but i love my mini as i designed it chrome and all.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts

Both of the Bardsley household MINI's are 75% dechromed, wouldn't have it any other way. I was thinking of the belt-line and handles but it's extra money that I won't get back in June.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.