Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I haven't posted for a while and coming up to 1 year of ownership so I thought it was time to make changes. I decided to go down the de-chrome route and thought I would give the front & rear light rings a go with some satin black Plasti-kote paint I picked up in a DIY store for £5. The rings are very easy to remove both front and back (30 secs each) I gave them a good clean and then about 3-4 light coats of spray. Pretty pleased with the finish and saving nearly £200 on Mini parts I thought it was worth a go ;)

I have ordered a black fuel cap cover and door handle covers and I think that will do for the moment.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Nice....but just HOW durable is plastidip? I'd hate to see it starting to flake in the future.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice....but just HOW durable is plastidip? I'd hate to see it starting to flake in the future.....
Hi Donna, this isn't plastidip which is the stuff that you can peel off. Plasti-kote is some techy super scientific paint that sticks to anything so hopefully it will last a while. If not I've only wasted a fiver and will buy the expensive replacement parts from Mini :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, rings come off really easy, just pop the bonnet open and you can see the clip mounts. Watch out the little black clips don't drop on the floor. Spray in a garage too if you can. That's it really this is the stuff I used. It isn't to be confused with Plasti dip which can be peeled off this is for ever!

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
rear fog light surround

This might just be the answer I'm looking for as have an all black F56 cooper and would like to see less of the chrome trim on the rear foglight surround and had pondered wrapping it but this paint may well do the job! Any ideas how easy it is to remove the trim surrounding the rear foglight on a Cooper??? Anyone???

ta

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
This might just be the answer I'm looking for as have an all black F56 cooper and would like to see less of the chrome trim on the rear foglight surround and had pondered wrapping it but this paint may well do the job! Any ideas how easy it is to remove the trim surrounding the rear foglight on a Cooper??? Anyone???

ta
Looking at a parts diagram, the trim IS removable...

I think you'd have to remove the entire rear bumper trim, unless you can unclip just the fog light trim by itself. Have you looked under the bumper?

Parts diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=XM51&mospid=56281&btnr=51_9210&hg=51&fg=16

·
Registered
505 Posts
Wow... just found this thread for the first time. Midnight, that looks gorgeous. Particularly with the red stripes. Love what you've done with it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Looks great, although I'd like to do mine in carbon fiber. It's funny that my last Mini was a Justa and I went about replacing the black with chrome. Now I have an MCS and I'm thinking of replacing the chrome with black . . . This is a sickness.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Looks really good midnightf56. One question... Do you (or does plastikote) recommend prep of rings before painting such as fine sanding to give the paint some "tooth" or is does plastikote not require this type of prep?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts