Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I call my Mini Dealer and asked what snow tires they recommend for my non-S hardtop and both the service and parts reps said resoundingly, "Blizzaks, they're the best there are!" Then the parts guy asks what size tires I need, I tell him, and he goes quiet for a while, and then says it looks like Mini is NOT recommending them in the 15" wheel size. Something about them being too wide for that model, and goes on to recommend Pirellis instead.

Anybody heard of this issue, or had issues with them on them on their base F56?

·
Registered
270 Posts
So I call my Mini Dealer and asked what snow tires they recommend for my non-S hardtop and both the service and parts reps said resoundingly, "Blizzaks, they're the best there are!" Then the parts guy asks what size tires I need, I tell him, and he goes quiet for a while, and then says it looks like Mini is NOT recommending them in the 15" wheel size. Something about them being too wide for that model, and goes on to recommend Pirellis instead.

Anybody heard of this issue, or had issues with them on them on their base F56?
Wrong. Blizzaks are no longer the best. They used to be a top brand for harsh winter in North America. They have been surpassed.

Nokian Hakkepilta 8 studded tires are the undisputed king of winter tires! Living in Canada and being an avid skier I have tried many winter tires including at least a couple of sets of Blizzaks among many others.

Nothing and I mean nothing compares to the Hakepelita 8 - if you want the best for harsh winter.

·
Super Moderator
8,831 Posts
I dont think the issue was 'what's best' and of course in more temperate climes eg uk, we cant have studded tyres GOGO; it was the fact that mini said they couldnt be fitted-if he has 15" rims on already then of course they can HOWEVER some models ie cooper coopers and jcs cant have the 15" tyre due to the size of the brake calliper.

·
Super Moderator
8,831 Posts
NB a sales rep saying 'theyre the best' is def not believable, i agree GOGO! tyres are very difficult to appraise as 'the best' at one thing isnt the best at another-they're compromises whatever and you choose the best compromise on wet/dry/cold/ice snow/ price you feel suits you and your conditions!
I'm happy with my Hankook Winter icepts. Bridgstone dont seem to do well in current tyre tests!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, guys, for the responses. I think the parts rep was speculating WHY they weren't on the list - really didn't know - and thought they might not handle so well on that model. JB makes an interesting point about brake calipers. I was hoping to find someone who has them on his/her base Mini and could report in. Anybody out there?

·
Super Moderator
8,831 Posts
If you have a base model fitted with 15" wheels simply buy the same size it says on your summer tyre wall and any make will fit. Whether sailun or windsale at £30 a shot are any good is another matter!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey JB, I know that the same size tire will fit on the rim, I just don't know why Mini has excluded it from their approved list. Makes me nervous to buy the Blizzaks for that reason. It's not like it's some off-market tire. If that info is out there somewhere, I sure don't know how to dig it out.

Anyway, when I bought the Cooper I wasn't planning to drive in the ice and snow. Life has thrown me a curve ball and now I am. As winter is half over, I'm really trying not to spend the $, but I'm living way out in the country and a snowstorm is coming in! Could trade it in for an AWD I guess!

·
Registered
270 Posts
There is nothing wrong with Blizzaks if you find the same size as the car came with. The car won't handle very well due to the deep soft tread but they are a good winter tire. Depending on the speed rating of the blizzaks it could well be lower than your vehicle manufacturer recommends in which case you should stay within those new lower speed limits. (Winter tires often have lower speed rating due to softer compounds)

Why not go to tire rack website and get the tires delivered to your door. Mini dealers or dealerships in general are not much excited about supplying tires. The margins on tires are often not enough to interest the dealer and like wind shield replacements they often pass on that business to third parties. They prefer the lucrative business of exclusive parts and repairs at massive margins...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
G0G0BIG, thanks for the input. If I'm forced to buy them this winter, I'm now leaning towards the Pirellis. My dealer is VERY interested in selling tires, even sent out an email telling their customers why they should buy tires from them. Somehow they left off the part about how much more it costs!

·
Super Moderator
8,831 Posts
Of limited value to a resident of Colorado, though.....
Just an easy way of seeing what tyres are available for the car for him; don't know any usa ones but our sites give rain and noise and mpg data however accurate it is ! Thought it might be of interest-for info-didnt expect him to ship them and i am sure there are similar sites in the usa! just trying to be helpful!:crying:

·
Super Moderator
8,831 Posts
Take no notice of mini recommendations; buy what you like! They recommend according to the deals they get for the factory fit! Same as the oil-notice they've changed from castrol to shell!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I don't think tyres(tires) can be reliably compared between continents - even if a manufacturer uses the same model name, there is no guarantee the tyre(tire) is the same in both markets.

And of course an optimum winter tyre for Europe is unlikely to be an optimum winter tire for North America, with driving conditions so different.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks all, for the thoughtful input. As it turns out, I'm stranded for a few days in a cottage at the base of the Rockies in a big snowstorm. Didn't get the tires for now, put sand in the back of the car, shovel and traction plates in case I get stuck, but I'm not planning on moving for a few days. Unfortunately, I don't have much confidence in the Mini in snow without snow tires, despite it's "go-kart" handling. Considered getting chains, but they seem like a royal p-i-t-a.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.