Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I pick up my VO F55 next week but am having a bit of a last minute panic about bluetooth audio after reading a few threads on here.

UK spec car, chili pack with visual boost and Mini connected. Can this spec play music via bluetooth audio or should I have specced enhanced bluetooth audio?

I specifically asked the question when ordering the car and was told bluetooth audio was included, but not sure if that's right or not now.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
109 Posts
funny you say this. we also pick up ours a week on friday with no enhanced BT audio spec'd (but with visual boost like you). I originally understood that you can't stream BT audio without the enhanced BT option but as disappointing as it was, wasn't gonna pay the ridiculas option cost to do so. however when i checked my vin on the link below it suggests that it will stream audio!

Will just have to wait and see when it gets here!

check this if you have the VIN...

http://www.mini.com/connectivity/compatibility/index.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for that. Just checked now and says 'Limited functionality:
At times, audio playback may not be heard. In this case please switch to a different audio source (i.e. radio) and back.' for iPhone 6. Looks to me like its there but could drop sometimes - my other car does the same occasionally. I'll let you know on Wednesday!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Chilli pack/Visual boost in mine and it streams no problem with my Sony Z2, iPhone however? It's Bluetooth but not normal Bluetooth if you know what I mean.

My daughters iPhone6 connects ok when she gets the hump with my music choice so, it should work.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks both. That code isn't listed for my car. Will find out Wednesday. Won't be impressed if it doesn't work as it was a specific question I asked of the dealer.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Thanks both. That code isn't listed for my car. Will find out Wednesday. Won't be impressed if it doesn't work as it was a specific question I asked of the dealer.
Seems to be an area of confusion for owners and dealers alike - especially since all the 2nd gen MINIs had enhanced BT included when you upgraded to Visual Boost (in the US anyway...)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not a mini owner yet but I'm now an expert on the configurator :)
I always spec the pepper pack which now comes with visual boost radio, however when you then go to communication section there is still the option for enhanced Bluetooth at £310 which comes with steering wheel controls, cruise control and armrest.
This suggests to me that if the chilli pack comes with the steering wheel controls and armrest? then it should have enhanced audio as well.
But - I've also read elsewhere on this forum that you have to tick the no-cost options or you might not get them?
No wonder we're all confused :eek:

radriderx

·
Super Moderator
7,898 Posts
On my r56 basic Bluetooth meant you could phone people and answer calls but that was it. I assume the f56 is the same. Enhanced Bluetooth allowed streaming hence I specified enhanced on my f56. Streams brilliantly from my s4mini

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
In the US, Visual Boost is required to get enhanced BT for audio streaming, but if you are speccing just the Visual Boost and not the Media Package, you won't get enhanced BT. The Media Package will get you both, plus the armrest which is $250 by itself anyway. I'm finding many dealers don't know this and aren't checking this feature when customer's bring them order sheets and are trying to save $250 by not getting the armrest.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I'm assured that my car does stream Bluetooth audio after the dealer checked the connection themselves. Unfortunately I haven't been able to check it myself yet as the factory fitted the wrong colour door ellipses (dark silver where they should have been piano black with the mini yours fibre alloy interior) so they need to be changed before I take delivery. Friday it is then...

·
Registered
109 Posts
good news... I'll be well chuffed if mine does, so what exactly does the enhanced bluetooth option get you then?!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally got it. Love it! And it definitely does stream Bluetooth audio. It must come as standard with visual boost.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So if that setup streams audio via Bluetooth, what does the enhanced Bluetooth do? My dealer told me to get streaming I had to get the enhanced Bluetooth, which I did. What have I got for my few hundred pounds I've spent on the enhanced Bluetooth? Have I wasted my money on a useless pack?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Enhanced Bluetooth includes the center armrest with the docking adapter for the phone... if you have the right phone... which connects it to the car's roof antenna for an enhanced signal while charging. You can then control your phone from the steering wheel and instrument panel. If I've put it together correctly, UNenhanced Bluetooth essentially just gives you phone connectivity via BT.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Enhanced Bluetooth includes the center armrest with the docking adapter for the phone... if you have the right phone... which connects it to the car's roof antenna for an enhanced signal while charging. You can then control your phone from the steering wheel and instrument panel. If I've put it together correctly, UNenhanced Bluetooth essentially just gives you phone connectivity via BT.
So basically you are saying enhanced Bluetooth means I can connect my phone to the car using a wire rather than just wirelessly. Doesn't sound like the Bluetooth has been enhanced by much!

Next you'll be telling me the pack I bought called "ejector seat" is just a random name and doesn't do anything to the seat but just adds red bag hooks in the boot?!

It feels like I've been misold something useless for £300!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Well, you can connect to the antenna using an expensive plastic thingy in your armrest, turning it into a super cell phone and the rest is by BT, so not necessarily a wire. And it does have a fan to keep your phone cool. And you get the armrest! [Plastic thingy sold separately... if you have one of the iPhone models that they make an adapter for...]

Now the ejector seat, that really works. Well, if you have an iPhone, Mini Connected and the Bond Pack.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Finally got it. Love it! And it definitely does stream Bluetooth audio. It must come as standard with visual boost.
That's really strange as, at least in the US, even with BMWs you need to have 6NE Enhanced Bluetooth equipped for Bluetooth audio. In the US, it is definitely NOT standard with the Visual Boost by itself. It comes with the Media Pack which includes the armrest.

You're sure you don't have that option when you plug your VIN in?: http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

Reactions: Tiger

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi. I've definitely not got 6NE when I check that link. Could be a country specific thing? The dealer was also pretty sure it was visual boost that it was included with - their demonstrator was the same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What about voice control? Does this require enhanced bluetooth.

In UK I believe that the standard bluetooth will stream audio. The enhanced is the possibility of using snap in adapter in arm rest to connect to usb to charge and to get better reception and direct control from car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts