Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12 month old Mini that I have owned for 4 months and according to the options list on Bimmer etc has the factory paint protection .

I would like to give it a polish in the near future, although looking at it is is very shiny already. There was a recent thread that mentioned waxing/polishing can affect the protective coating. Is this correct and woul I be OK using Autoglym Resin Polish and the Autoglym Extra Gloss sealant.
I use this on my other cars and always happy with the result.

I realise if you ask 10 people what product to use you may get 10 different suggestions.

I suppose I am asking firstly do I need to polish it and secondly if I do will it affect the Mini applied protection coating

Thanks

·
Registered
460 Posts
You're product choice is fine as for the factory paint protection i doubt that is anything like coatings or waxing that can be applied after sale (it maybe transport wrap & waxes to protect it in transit these would have been removed at pdi)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
As far as I know there is no added paint protection from the factory just what dealers try to sell you! I'm in the UK, maybe different in different countries I guess!

I can only assume if you have a coating it was done by the dealer and in my experience they try to charge Upton £500! The product costs about £25 and is poorly applied as they guys applying it are only given a short amount of time.

If it was me I'd be inclined to clay bar the car to get rid of what was applied and start afresh or get a detailed to do it.

I have a ceramic coat finish that just needs a quick wash :)

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
Totally agree BUT if you like the finish your car already has a polish eg autoglym is slightly abrasive and will gradually remove your coating.NEVER therefore use a polish. For that extra shine while maintaining the coat mini applied you should apply a good wax only . Try dodo juice colour specific carnauba which sits on top of any paint finish you have. Comes up great.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As I bought the car 9 months old I only got the impression that it may have a factory paint protection if indeed there is one as it is listed on the Bimmer web site when I put in my Vin No.

·
Registered
303 Posts
May well be worth asking the original supplying dealer what protection it had put on as some of these treatments come with a period of warranty against any stains/pitting. If this is the case then just use the recommended top up formula of shampoo etc. If no specific protection product on it then as others have said just use a decent shampoo and a further layer of wax. I personally like Meguires range but each to their own.

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
Agree; the factory don't have any paint protection system (unless it is referring to the paper they put on the car to protect the pain as it travels?!!!).
Stealers will try to sell you a paint protection system of some sort but that means you pay the to clean the car as they pdi it instead of them doing it for nothing !!! Bit of a con i reckon as many on here state there are often much better treatments available, and if you like cleaning your car and polishing it waste of money!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agree; the factory don't have any paint protection system (unless it is referring to the paper they put on the car to protect the pain as it travels?!!!).
Hi Jeremy It could be this and me putting 2 and 2 and making 5

The item is listed as External Skin Protection and as it seemed so shiny and has lasted I assumed this item was a paint protection of some kind.

Thanks for everyone's input :nerd:

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
I really do think that this will be the protective layer of paper the car comes out of the factory with for transit; mini paint is superb-watch the youtube video of them paintiing the car-female ostrich heathers are used to get the dust of for eg and every car is hand inspected; we were told by a dentless repairman that mini spent a fortune on their new paint plant and that it is second to none; i f you sit your mini side by side with many other cars (even a bmw) you;ll be amazed at how little orange peel effect there is.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Factory protection is the code and description listed below. It is the white wrap and bits you see stuck on to stop in-transit damage.

As for the Mini paint being good I'll reserve judgement until the 24th May on collection.

9AA External Skin Protection

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.