Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
What sort of car wash did you use :eek: ?

Never see that before. Possibly not adhered properly in the first place?

Take it back to the Dealer and don't admit to doing anything out of the ordinary ;)

Regards Bob

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I would take it to the dealer. There's no reason why a car wash should do that to a properly installed stripe.

Was this from an automated car wash? I guess if someone was pointing a pressure washer at it from the side directly then MAYBE, but....

·
Registered
280 Posts
bought the car 3 weeks ago ,everything was fine until ...

has this ever happened to anyone here ?
That's what you get for being lazy.:|

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
That's what you get for being lazy.:|
Not everyone has the facilities to hand wash their cars everytime nor the time to do so, sirron. Please don't be rude.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Nothing wrong with automated car washing. However I would never let any Mr.Smith hand wash it. If you're worried about scratching it, a decent car wash is no worse on the paint than a hand wash. In the uk I use IMO (formerly Arc) as they've invested in scratch free technology.

Regardless of how its washed, you'll end up with 'swirls' - look at any car under sunlight and they're obviou. Nothing a good polish and wax won't get rid of though!

My mini has been through a car wash probably half a dozen times since I got it last August, my stripes are still intact. I'd definitely take it back to the dealer.

Good luck
Ash

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Too busy texting?>:D I just washed my Mini with a bucket of hot suds. Then polished it . Came out great.
Yes us young whippersnappers are too busy texting and playing kickball to take the time to take care of our cars properly. Automated car washes are great cause you can text while going through them

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What sort of car wash did you use :eek: ?

Never see that before. Possibly not adhered properly in the first place?

Take it back to the Dealer and don't admit to doing anything out of the ordinary ;)

Regards Bob
It was not an automatic car wash, but they used a pressure washer which did the damage.

I wash my other cars at this car wash for over 10 years now and never had any issues

The dealer already told me that it's covered by warranty, but they didn't expect this to happen so soon (only 3 weeks).

They've dealt with other similar situations after 2-3 years

·
Registered
258 Posts
It was not an automatic car wash, but they used a pressure washer which did the damage.

I wash my other cars at this car wash for over 10 years now and never had any issues

The dealer already told me that it's covered by warranty, but they didn't expect this to happen so soon (only 3 weeks).

Shouldn't happen with a pressure wash either (unless they've used the wrong adapter or have an insanely high pressure) - I reckon the stripe hasn't been put on correctly (maybe a small crease or not enough adhesion) and the pressure washer has lifted it from the side.

Glad they're sorting it!

·
Registered
82 Posts

;)At least it was only the plastic stripes, I used a pressure washer and took the paint off the rear bumper and then had to have it resprayed under warranty. They blamed it on surface contamination.:mad:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
;)At least it was only the plastic stripes, I used a pressure washer and took the paint off the rear bumper and then had to have it resprayed under warranty. They blamed it on surface contamination.:mad:
I saw the pictures...
:eek::eek::eek:

You're right. Now I feel I was lucky it was only the plastic stripes...

The question is : how should I wash my MINI from now on ? Avoid the bonnet area when you use the pressure washer!?

I believe that the stripe hasn't been installed correctly from the factory, and I
shouldn't have this problem again, but you can never be too sure.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I saw the pictures...
:eek::eek::eek:

You're right. Now I feel I was lucky it was only the plastic stripes...

The question is : how should I wash my MINI from now on ? Avoid the bonnet area when you use the pressure washer!?

I believe that the stripe hasn't been installed correctly from the factory, and I
shouldn't have this problem again, but you can never be too sure.
If your options are limited, I say stick to the regular old car washes as long as they don't use abrasive brushes (as specified in the owner's manual) and you'll be fine. If you have the opportunity to do it yourself, I consider that preferable even if it's the kind where you drive in and pay to do it yourself. As long as you don't do anything crazy on your stripes I'm sure you'll be fine once they get the stripes done correctly.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think I'm going to wash and wax mine by hand for a while until I'm sure that my usual carwash isn't going to lift my stripes. Since I'm used to washing and detailing a Wrangler Unlimited, the Mini seems downright small and quick to clean up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts