Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
It doesn't look right to me.......how that managed to get past quality control is a bit worrying!

Reactions: Black&White_D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Interesting, have you taken a jaunt down to the dealer? See if you can get them to show you another on the lot exactly the same... OR just head into the show room, look yourself and come back with a pointy question...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine are the same. At first I did not like it but then I thought that it is not very noticeable, it doesn't hurt anything and may even be better for drainage in case any moisture builds up between the two bonnet layers.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mine are the same. At first I did not like it but then I thought that it is not very noticeable, it doesn't hurt anything and may even be better for drainage in case any moisture builds up between the two bonnet layers.
then mean that normal?strange to have this type of finish...:(

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting, have you taken a jaunt down to the dealer? See if you can get them to show you another on the lot exactly the same... OR just head into the show room, look yourself and come back with a pointy question...
Yeah I'm booked in on Sunday for a bit of a show & tell as I have a couple of q's re fan inside cabin & colour wheel on Central display.

I will def ask my dealer & see what she says.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Looks like could be a headache for BMW as asked a dealer here as I am looking for my first mini, when I showed him, his reply was if that was on my mini it would be in workshop being repaired.looks like BMW have not told dealers it should look like this. How many dealers are going to try and get this through as a warranty repair before BMW tell them that's normal, I agree looks awful and could have been done better.

·
Registered
890 Posts
So yours looks similar Johnan?

Just nipped out to check.

Yes, at all the direction changes in the bonnet shape where angles meet, the lower skin has been fitted in such a way to, I would say, allow drainage of any condensation or rain water that finds its way into the space.
The gap at these points seems unnecessarily unfinished looking, but a bigger gap lets more air in to circulate and prevent corrosion.

So I don't mind, a gap is good, it just could be more neatly executed.
Some may look worse than others depending on the tolerance of the lower skin fit.

Mine also seems to have a waxy substance applied inside the gap...it would be good if it is an anti-rust coating, but who knows.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had a feeling it was a drainage gap, although not a TERRIBLE amount of moisture ever gets up inside, but c'est la vie. I appreciate the function but the form is just god awful and from a group of companies that is typically spot on from and function wise...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine was the same. It irritated me so much that I
caulked the holes and painted it to match.
I didn't do the ones in the doors in case it created
a drainage issue.
Japanese buyers won't like this. They want cars that
are finished perfectly even in places that are not
normally visible.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mine was the same. It irritated me so much that I
caulked the holes and painted it to match.
I didn't do the ones in the doors in case it created
a drainage issue.
Japanese buyers won't like this. They want cars that
are finished perfectly even in places that are not
normally visible.
Might want to remove the caulk as could cause problems, see thread about bonnet collapse. Someone says it could be caused by air being trapped and causing an implode, showed a dealer this and he said if the holes are sealed and air can't escape could cause bonnet to explode and as holes had been filled would not be covered by warranty. I am holding back till my dealer tells me these problems have been sorted and bmw/mini then I will order my mini.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts