Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have the manual or the car with me, so apologies for not reading the manual.

On our Cooper D 5dr which has the storage pack (part of the Chili pack, I think) you can lift up the boot floor and it stays resting against the back seats. However, it does not hold firmly enough in that position to stay up while being driven.

Is this normal, or should it (as I imagine) stay up?

Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine stays up firmly... that's what he said

But yes, it notches into two spring-loaded pads each side.
:D

Just checked our car and it only has one spring-loaded pad on the driver's side. It doesn't look like there is a missing one on the other side, but perhaps it is supposed to hold better. Our one is very weakly held open - enough to keep it there while still, but not on the move. Our car is a November 15 build in case this has changed over time.

Does anyone else have just one of these spring-loaded pads?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Not sure if they changed to one spring pad, mine is a February 2015 build and I have two. They seem to hold pretty well, but I have never tried to drive with the floor in the upright position either.

Reactions: BMWfan

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. This is strange.

Can anyone with a 5 door car built in or after November 2015 confirm whether they have one or two spring pads holding up their boot floor please? And whether it holds firmly in the position against the back of the seats when driving?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I emailed the selling dealer. He checked a new one in the showroom and confirmed that some time between launch and Nov 15, when mine was built, MINI started to fit a single spring pad on the driver's side instead of two. He hasn't yet confirmed whether this one is supposed to be able to keep the boot floor up while driving.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 2017 f55 late November build and it only has one latch on the right side to hold open the bottom boot cover. And like yours it doesn't hold unto the cover solidly as a little tug on the cover and the latch will releaset. It's a good size latch if you ask me but my guess Mini must have designed the latch for easy release of the open cover not having to press latch at all(just my take on the design).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Paul. On your car, is the latch strong enough to hold the boot floor up against the seats while driving?

The selling dealer has just responded to the second part of my question, saying that the latch should hold the boot floor up while driving. I bought it from a MINI dealer a couple of hundred miles away, so he has recommended taking it to my local MINI place.

I would like to make absolutely sure whether mine is not right before going in, so that they can't try and fob me off with it being a characteristic of the car, so knowing whether others with a single latch find it strong enough to hold the floor up while driving is really useful.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I haven't tried driving around with the boot cover up and don't think I'll ever do but imo if the roadway is in very good shape I would believe it would stay up for a short while although turning/braking/stopping could loosen the latch grip. iirc the latch has no ledge to hold unto the boot cover so I don't see how the latch could hang on to the cover if being driven on somewhat bumpy roads or stopping or starting your drive from idle. The latch is smooth plastic and cover is of a fiberous material. In all honesty I don't think the latch/boot cover was designed with the thought of driving with the cover in the latched position. jmo though

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just felt it gave a bit more flexibility, allowing us to carry something a little taller than would be possible with the floor down. I do take your point though that perhaps it wasn't intended to be used in that way.

My selling dealer thought it should hold up. I had a play with one at my local dealer today and it seems to hold up better than mine, although it wasn't strong. They have offered to replace the latch though, so I'll give that a go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts