Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed the warning a couple times now, has anyone else had any problems with this?

I think I may be closing the boot from too high up and maybe too much force it's not locking properly.

Need to keep an eye on it. Very strange!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I've noticed the warning a couple times now, has anyone else had any problems with this?

I think I may be closing the boot from too high up and maybe too much force it's not locking properly.

:eek:

Happens on the old Mini all the time ;)

·
Registered
890 Posts

Happened to me a couple of times, apart from door open warnings, the rear view camera refuses to work if the hatch isn't shut properly, but it seems to have settled down. I usually open the hatch at least 3 times a day and have had the car nearly 2 months. I give it a good slam to shut it.
I find shutting the bonnet, or hood, more troublesome to get to shut so the alarms don't go off. I have found dropping it from about 2 feet with a slight helping push as it falls is the most successful if not the quietest method. It should not be pushed when already down as it won't make any difference and the bonnet may get damaged.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Both hatch and bonnet seem awkward in their own way...
If I pull the hatch down using the inside handles, at the point where I want to remove my hand the hatch wants to go up again.
As for the bonnet... the manual says drop and then press, but the place you can press (front edge I guess) is nowhere near the two catches. It's easy to get one catch left undone.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Both hatch and bonnet seem awkward in their own way...
If I pull the hatch down using the inside handles, at the point where I want to remove my hand the hatch wants to go up again.
As for the bonnet... the manual says drop and then press, but the place you can press (front edge I guess) is nowhere near the two catches. It's easy to get one catch left undone.
I certainly have had no luck with the bonnet trying to drop it conservatively and then pushing it closed by hand.
It needs a really determined drop with a bit of assistance on the way down to make the catches "catch" and prevent the alarm going off.
We will all no doubt invent our own ways of doing it!

·
Registered
227 Posts

There Are two adjustment screws in the side gutters which hold the boots tight against the car. If you adjust those by tuning the so they come out more, that could possibly help, maybe the boot isn't tight enough against the car.

·
Registered
227 Posts
There Are two adjustment screws in the side gutters which hold the boots tight against the car. If you adjust those by tuning the so they come out more, that could possibly help, maybe the boot isn't tight enough against the car.
Sorry the adjustment screws are on the underside of the boot

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers Berty, I think I've got it down now - down as in correct not as in down!!!

English eh?!!

I was dropping it too high, getting it on the sweet spot it hasn't failed to lock so far! Will report back!!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Cheers Berty, I think I've got it down now - down as in correct not as in down!!!

English eh?!!

I was dropping it too high, getting it on the sweet spot it hasn't failed to lock so far! Will report back!!

Milo where is this car of yours that you can keep on saying exists ?

:nerd:

·
Registered
734 Posts
Mini probably test these things with robots Milo and they always close the boot the same way every time... we just have to learn to do it the way the robots do it :|

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sorry to bring this old thread up but I am having this "Trunk Open" warning. My car, F55 S, is 5 days old in my possession and I did not have this problem on day 1 and 2. When I got this warning first time, I got out and checked out the hatch but it was not open. I even had to press and hold the hatch open button on the fob to open it. I closed the hatch gently and the warning disappeared. I drove off. When I started the car next morning, the warning came back. I got out and the hatch was not open.

It would appear that the hatch "unlocks" when I unlock the driver's side door. I double checked and verified my setting in the system for unlocking options and the car is not supposed to do "double unlocking".

Is this still a common problem? What is the resolution? Just take the car in?

Also, when I try to open the hatch WITHOUT unlocking it first, the hatch does not open but it move up and down as if the locking mechanism of the hatch is not positively locked in the locking mechanism. Is this normal or could this explain the above problem?

And also, the "blink when locked" option is selected but the car does not. It did on Day 1 and 2. What is going on??

Feedback appreciated.

Cheers

F55 S
Production complete on 11/30/15

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
It would appear that the hatch "unlocks" when I unlock the driver's side door. I double checked and verified my setting in the system for unlocking options and the car is not supposed to do "double unlocking".

Is this still a common problem? What is the resolution? Just take the car in?

Also, when I try to open the hatch WITHOUT unlocking it first, the hatch does not open but it move up and down as if the locking mechanism of the hatch is not positively locked in the locking mechanism. Is this normal or could this explain the above problem?

And also, the "blink when locked" option is selected but the car does not. It did on Day 1 and 2. What is going on??
I answered one of your questions on NAM, but I noticed you had a little more here:

Regarding the blink when locking - if you had it set to do this in settings and it suddenly isn't doing it, have you switched keys at all? Different keys will have different settings so make sure the key you are using has that set. I hear about "disappearing" settings or settings not sticking all the time from new F56 owners and 99% of the time it's because they changed settings on one key, then switched what key they were using which would load the settings from that key which could be completely different!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I answered one of your questions on NAM, but I noticed you had a little more here:

Regarding the blink when locking - if you had it set to do this in settings and it suddenly isn't doing it, have you switched keys at all? Different keys will have different settings so make sure the key you are using has that set. I hear about "disappearing" settings or settings not sticking all the time from new F56 owners and 99% of the time it's because they changed settings on one key, then switched what key they were using which would load the settings from that key which could be completely different!
HI there again!

No, I have been using only one key. The spare has been sitting in my closet since Day1.

When I came home tonight, I got in the setting and clicked the blink when closed option once again, and then locked the car. It did not blink. I unlocked the car and the head lights and interior lights came on, and then locked the car again. It did not blink.

Strange. There might be some bug in the software that is finicky.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well, today, everything worked without the aforementioned issues.

I figured that it might not a good idea (at least for now when the car is new) to slam close the hatch as it just tends to bounce back up without positive locking = Open Warning. A sweet spot for my car appears to be a foot above the rear bumper. I let the hatch drop from there by its own weight and it closes completely (no more wiggle) and no warning on the display. It might be that even the hatch lock needs to be broken in..??

When I lock the car, she responds back with 'winks' now. I am happy and love driving this car!

Cheers

·
Registered
759 Posts
A sweet spot for my car appears to be a foot above the rear bumper. I let the hatch drop from there by its own weight and it closes completely (no more wiggle) and no warning on the display. It might be that even the hatch lock needs to be broken in.
That's how my dealer told me to close the boot. My MA actually said not to slam it down. Same with the bonnet, the manual says to let it drop on it's own from about 16 inches.

·
Registered
5 Posts
They test all door shuts on the production line. Early in the factory tour they go on about the 250 micron tolerance that they work to in body in white (before the car is painted) area, so the panels fit perfectly. On the production line they guy was dropping the tailgate about 18 inches from closed. That appears to be the standard.

Mind you on a clubman he assembled the latch and then test closed the doors. The final barn door wasn't latching so he opened it and bent the top part with the window backwards a tad - all within the 250 micron tolerance of course! (ok, not!)

·
Registered
136 Posts
They test all door shuts on the production line. Early in the factory tour they go on about the 250 micron tolerance that they work to in body in white (before the car is painted) area, so the panels fit perfectly. On the production line they guy was dropping the tailgate about 18 inches from closed. That appears to be the standard.

Mind you on a clubman he assembled the latch and then test closed the doors. The final barn door wasn't latching so he opened it and bent the top part with the window backwards a tad - all within the 250 micron tolerance of course! (ok, not!)
Thanks for the interesting info. 250um is not much to see by eyes. Do they use some sort of go/no-go gage?

Also interesting to know that they check the fit of the panels. I wonder how they missed this error on my car (see the attached - it is the left A-fender panel). The error is more than 250um!!

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
That's how my dealer told me to close the boot. My MA actually said not to slam it down. Same with the bonnet, the manual says to let it drop on it's own from about 16 inches.
That's what I do as well. Feels wrong to let it slam it. I pull it down 3/4 of the way and let it drop with gravity from there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts