Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there I have this annoying rattle it first appeared about 2 months ago. The rattle was coming from the latch confirmed as i got my missus to drive the car while I crawled around the boot area listening for the noise. I fixed the rattle by winding in the boot stops and then winding both out 1 1/2 turns. This pulled the boot in tighter thus eradicating the noise. But lad night just driving down a A road the noise just magically came back! Pulled into a petrol station made sure the boot was shut properly wound by stops all the way in and then back out 1 1/2 turns to double check they havnt moved which they had not. Does anyone know why his noise has magically returned? And a permanent fix! It's driving me nuts already the locks tight on the latch the boot is not loose and it's 100% coming from the latch.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Had this on my F56 SD from factory and they realigned the hatch and it disappeared.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the exact same issue on my F55. The boot latch seems to be rattling and also sticking. I've drove off before and the boot hasn't shut somehow and I've had the warning light of boot open. Not sure how to fix it. If I wind in the stop all the way the boot seems loose (as in I can wiggle it open shut a little).

I also have an annoying rattle on the passenger door which goes away if I push on the door liner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,

thought I'd make an account here and give my 2 cents to see if it helps anyone out. I also had an annoying loud rattle coming from the boot / rear of my car (f56 cooper s - 9k miles) - thought it may have been rear suspension bushings / sway bars etc.. took all trim and shelves out of the boot area, taped rear no. plate down etc... Rattle still persisted over uneven roads, started to drive me bonkers!

To cut a long story short - after a lot of hunting - I tightened up the boot spacers as a final go to see if it would help (2 round little adjustable rubber stoppers - 1 on either side of the inside of the boot) - they were extended about 1cm out from the inside of the boot - and it was causing the boot lid not to shut very tightly. I adjusted these down almost all the way - so there is now only 2mm or so of space between the spacers and the boot - and immediately the boot felt like it was shutting better. This has now fixed my boot rattle entirely it seems, would suggest giving this a go if you haven't already guys. Seems the dealer had these extended these spacers fully for some reason..

Hope this helps someone!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

thought I'd make an account here and give my 2 cents to see if it helps anyone out. I also had an annoying loud rattle coming from the boot / rear of my car (f56 cooper s - 9k miles) - thought it may have been rear suspension bushings / sway bars etc.. took all trim and shelves out of the boot area, taped rear no. plate down etc... Rattle still persisted over uneven roads, started to drive me bonkers!

To cut a long story short - after a lot of hunting - I tightened up the boot spacers as a final go to see if it would help (2 round little adjustable rubber stoppers - 1 on either side of the inside of the boot) - they were extended about 1cm out from the inside of the boot - and it was causing the boot lid not to shut very tightly. I adjusted these down almost all the way - so there is now only 2mm or so of space between the spacers and the boot - and immediately the boot felt like it was shutting better. This has now fixed my boot rattle entirely it seems, would suggest giving this a go if you haven't already guys. Seems the dealer had these extended these spacers fully for some reason..

Hope this helps someone!
Thanks for your suggestion.

The rattle was driving me nuts for a while.
With your help, I was able to fix the issue by tightening both the screws completely.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for your suggestion.

The rattle was driving me nuts for a while.
With your help, I was able to fix the issue by tightening both the screws completely.
I took my F56 to the dealer to fix the hatch rattle. I went with him on the road test. The first thing the technician did was to carefully cover the latch loop with anti rattle felt tape. He cleaned it first with brake cleaner and made sure that the tape was only one layer thick. That took care of 75% of the problem. To eliminate the remaining rattle, he then adjusted the two stops on the sides of the hatch. He only turned them a quarter turn at a time and then took a test drive. He repeated the process and the rattle was gone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts