Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 MCS Thunder Gray Hatch
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had issues with a Bootmod3 warning stating the software does not match? I could proceed with a force tune but I am leery to force the tune and brick the DME. I have full connection to the car, the OBD agent is connected just fine, everything works as it should but the actual upload of the tune. Thanks!

Sky Font Material property Gadget Electric blue

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't force flash it or you will not be able to start it. Contact support at their site and they'll be able to get you going. Trust me.
I didn't heed the warning and had to contact them to get the car running again. You can read a lot about Bootmod3 over at Bimmer fest dot com as well. From when the OBD2 flash became available until now. But for these issues. Support is the best option.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't force flash it or you will not be able to start it. Contact support at their site and they'll be able to get you going. Trust me.
I didn't heed the warning and had to contact them to get the car running again. You can read a lot about Bootmod3 over at Bimmer fest dot com as well. From when the OBD2 flash became available until now. But for these issues. Support is the best option.
I am waiting to hear back from support. I've spoke to 2 different members, one here and one elsewhere who had the same issue. They were both sent the same instructions which I assume will be the same for me. I will wait in case there are any issues during the process

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am waiting to hear back from support. I've spoke to 2 different members, one here and one elsewhere who had the same issue. They were both sent the same instructions which I assume will be the same for me. I will wait in case there are any issues during the process
Could you divulge those instructions by chance? One of the support guys got me running. But said I would now need a bench unlock which really sucks. That was my main reason for going this route as the models that"needed"abench unlock were the 2019 (now 2020)and up. I have a 2015 F55 so I was really enthusiastic about Bootmod3.
I've read of people trying over and over and it finally working. Coming down to dropped signal of something simple. But I never read whether they actually got there DME unlocked or if they knew for sure it was.

I worried about trying again and again as I've already needed support to get the car running again. I hate to be the guy who keeps messing it up. I don't see anything different as far as vehicle Id numbers but have noticed a few things that look odd so I'm very hesitant.
Like when looking at bootmod3.net the difference in my maps between the web version and the downloaded versions.
All the map descriptions are there on the web version. But when I look at the description of my downloaded maps there's literally nothing of a description no bootloader ;numbers no sftw numbers. Only the msid number/letter string is visible. But can't find any information on that. So I don't know if when I'm trying to flash from downloaded maps if I'm just flashing nothing to my DME. So I'm just waiting to get the bench unlock done to be safe since they say it's needed. Confusing as hell when trying to not brick the car again. Ha ha

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My issue is the registered vehicle software details do not match the current software ID details which is why I get the warning in the picture I posted.

After downloading my tune it would show under "My Maps" and the downloaded tune has all sorts of details under it. BUT if I go into downloaded, there aren't any details like you mentioned if we are talking about the same area.

That being said, all the videos online I have never seen anyone flash from the downloaded section, only from under "My Maps". The odd thing with mine it is would attempt to flash but never actually flash anything. There is no indication the tune was actually flashed to the car then the warning message would pop up.

The instructions from a member on the Bootmod3 page:
I had to flash to stock and relock DME, flash to stock and leave unlocked, then flash any OTS map I wanted to flash, disregarding all DME unlock messages.

Those are the exact same instructions a different member sent me as well. However, I am going to wait until proceeding until I hear directly from them in case there are any issues. Since you forced the flash I am assuming Bootmode/PTF were not on the hook to pay for the bench unlock?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I do believe we're talking about the same section of "my maps" so that's good in reference to no software id's.
I thought I read something about download now flash later being the way to go. So you didn't have to worry about lost connection when flashing.
But after reading the whole bootmod3 thread on bimmerpost I messed up when i got straight in there and tried to flash a tune without using Bm3 to unlock the dme. But saw a lot of videos that went that way. Purchase, register, get ots map, flash.

Correct on the paying for the bench unlock. Since I force flashed it. But after they got the car started remotely said that they would bench unlock it for free if I covered the shipping to and from Canada.
I just didn't have the extra $ at the time I had a close death in the family. It's been months since that all happened so I'm not going to worry them with the unlock.
But still sitting here with $650 worth of dme tunes I cant use kinda sucks. So I'm just gonna quit being a cheap ass and get the unlock.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to hear about your loss.

That is pretty awesome on their part to cover the DME unlock. When you first open BM3 did it initially say the DME was unlocked. I am pretty sure mine said, DME wasn't locked and that I may proceed with flashing the car. Mine is a 2014 so I can't imagine it was factory locked. That is what makes me leery about locking with BM3 but I assume if it's locked via BM3 one can just as easily unlock and flash. I guess a factory lock is a different ball game?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss.

That is pretty awesome on their part to cover the DME unlock. When you first open BM3 did it initially say the DME was unlocked. I am pretty sure mine said, DME wasn't locked and that I may proceed with flashing the car. Mine is a 2014 so I can't imagine it was factory locked. That is what makes me leery about locking with BM3 but I assume if it's locked via BM3 one can just as easily unlock and flash. I guess a factory lock is a different ball game?
I actually did get the warning about needing a bench unlock. But I swear I saw a video where the guy force flashed it. He more than likely knew his dme was unlocked. Now I know mine is locked.
(side note) if you read any forums about the platform MHD in bmw forums it tells you you need a bench unlock but then in the same paragraph tells you that it can't detect whether you have one or not.
I know different platforms but hey. I'm just a guy who didn't heed the 3 or 4 warnings. Lol. I'm not sure if you're supposed to flash to stock and unlock Everytime. But I did not. And I believe that's where I went wrong from the start.
And thank you for your condolences. It is greatly appreciated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts