Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Mini Electric level 2 - 2021
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to get ready for my delivery (July 27th hopefully) and a BP wall charger is "free" as part of my purchase deal.

But what does it actually do ???

Apart from being a 32A (7KW) glorified mains socket (which I can easily replicate with 6MM2 cable and a blue industrial socket) what value does it add ?

I'm getting it for free but does it do anything apart from provide a 32A mains socket ?

The BP webpage just has loads of cute pictures of wall/charge points and EVs but absolutely no technical information.

From all the threads I've being reading on here it seems like all the intelligence (charge rates, useage etc.) you read from the Mini itself and the BP App I've downloaded to my mobile just tells me where the nearest charging point is.

What am I missing (I only have 5 weeks to find out...)

·
Premium Member
2020 Mini Electric Cooper S - Level 2 - White Silver / Energetic Yellow
609 Posts
You have not downloaded the correct BP app.
The BP Chargemaster controls the charging, it does checks before charging starts, records the charging information, allows you to set up charging schedules, contains safety measures to protect the car, etc. A standard 32amp socket will not work as there are checks done by the wall box and the car before charging can start, there are communication protocols used that won’t be there if you simply connect to 32a. Even the 13a granny chargers have intelligence built into the cables to do the protocols.

The correct app is:

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
The charge point is responsible for determining the maximum safe current that can be drawn by the car, which it does from a combination of its own internal configuration based on how it was commissioned/installed and also by determining the capacity of any cable connected to it using signalling resistors.
The charge point signals this current limit to the car
The car is then permitted to draw up to that current level.
No power is permitted to flow at all unless the car and charge point are in communication with each other.

The control logic built into the IEC62916 Mode 3 Charging spec/protocol which itself was inherited from SAE-J1772. See IEC 62196 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and SAE J1772 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Any permanently installed EV charging point must support Mode 3 charging, which requires signalling between the car and charge point to determine the maximum current limit

·
Premium Member
609 Posts

·
Premium Member
609 Posts

·
Registered
Mini Electric level 2 - 2021
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting...
Since posting the question I have just received an email from BP asking if I want to arrange an instalation date.

It was not like all the previosus emails I sent asking about the size of the thing (which they never answered, just kept telling me to fill in the application form) but this eMail specifically mentions the dealer with whom I've put the order in for the Mini.

Which makes it even stranger is because the dealer said that, although I'd put the order in for the Mini, BP wouldn't contact me until it had actually been delivered and I'd paid for it.....

That is still 5 weeks away.

Unless my delivery has suddenly come forward 5 weeks and they haven't yet told me.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts