Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hi, Just checked out the Br website but noticed they are claiming the same final power/torque figures for both the MCS and the JCW. Seems a little strange for the same price!!
I'm waiting on my Racechip Ultimate to come back from reprogramming - was originally set up for MCS. (230bhp/248lbsft) They are claiming 288bhp/290lbsft for JCW if you can believe that.......but at least it was cheaper and DIY installation. Will have to wait and see once bedded in.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Hi, Just checked out the Br website but noticed they are claiming the same final power/torque figures for both the MCS and the JCW. Seems a little strange for the same price!!
I'm waiting on my Racechip Ultimate to come back from reprogramming - was originally set up for MCS. (230bhp/248lbsft) They are claiming 288bhp/290lbsft for JCW if you can believe that.......but at least it was cheaper and DIY installation. Will have to wait and see once bedded in.
Look forward to hearing about this Dave keep us updated:)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Br does tune the engine too 260 hp for the b48 290 for the b46 why is that. The b48 doesn't have a jcw turbo doesn't have the same compression ratio. The b46 has the exact same turbo as a jcw. Still another compression ratio. Know the reason they claim the jcw has 260 hp after tune is because they will always use numbers they can archive. Not numbers that aren't real. They had enough cooper s models to test but haven't been able to do a jcw but they will almost likely have 290 hp. These engine's are limited by ecu. Also if we look at the graphics. You can see that the 260 hp is peak horse power the max power you can use is 250 hp. The torque also peaks at 400 nm and drops too 360 nm. Also would be better too build the torque up. Not 400 nm at 2000 rpm thats weelspin for sure. You could better go for 240 hp linear line and 360 nm without the peaks.... My opinion. Also you are better with a tune , why you can adjust al your parameters for you engine. And since every engine is different. It is a very important thing.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Agree a linear build up would be better especially in a FWD. Is it not a function though of this 2ltr that peak torque is reached at 1250rpm and remains flattish to 4750rpm so whatever sort of tune used will basically mirror this?
Is the sudden peak and drop off on the graph not down to the effect of the overboost function?

At least I know racechip have used a JCW for their development since I had to wait over a month to send mine to Germany so maybe their figures won't be far off!

In my case this form of tuning has more advantages than disadvantages due to the fact that it is removeable (for servicing etc),you can fit the blanking plug to return to standard and it is resaleable or reprogrammeable (for free).

Yeah the days of NA tuning are slipping away, although I suppose it is a lot easier and quicker now to do a flash or fit a box!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts