Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I've now covered 25,000 miles in my F56 MCS (April 2014 registered) and I'm disappointed with the rear brake wear..... :-(

The original rear left pad has worn through completely and is scoring the disc (metal on metal and loud). The rear right pad is fine (hence why no warning light has come on as that's where the sensor is) and I'm still on the original front pads and discs, which have plenty of life.

I am slightly surprised that the rear left has worn through without the same rate of wear on the right.

I am also surprised that the grinding started as I was driving along without using the brakes. This continues even without braking.

The dealer has quoted nearly £400 for replacement discs and pads without any interest in diagnosing potential issues with the brake caliper.

I can't help thinking that there could be an issue with the caliper, which is considered as covered by warranty.

Does anyone have experience of this and whether it could be considered acceptable for one side at the back to wear much quicker than the other three corners?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
80 Posts
In Ford's, this happens because the slides shift and cause wear on one side vs. the other. I'm unsure if this is the same cause in Mini's. As for rear wearing faster, it just means your rear brakes are applying more pressure than the front, even though it is FWD. It's nothing to be concerned about.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks swearingino, this is much appreciated. It's not so much the rear vs fronts that's causing me to question an issue (knowing that this is quite common on modern cars), rather that one wheel has worn down to metal on metal, whilst there's plenty of life left in the other three wheels (pads/dics).... I've taken it off road for now and using another vehicle....

·
Registered
608 Posts
This could be a traction control issue. I have had the same issue with all of my Audis. Basically, in order to keep the rear under control in "spirited" driving the TC will nibble at the rear brakes to steady things. If you do a lot of this.. this will cause extensive rear pad wear (even on one wheel ie roundabouts).

Oh, and don't get mini to fit your new pads and disks. Get some online and get your local man to do it, will save you £££s!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.