Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When did you have to change your brake pads for the first time?

I've driven the car less than 10000 miles and it already warns a front brake pad change.

Went yesterday to the dealership and they confirmed the pads need to be changed but in my opinion they should last at least 18000 miles like they did in my previous audi, which I usually drove more aggressively than my current cooper where I mostly get consumption figures above the official ones by driving very very slow haha

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have 12k miles and don't need a change yet. I've heard that cruise control eats them away though. I live in a small city and don't drive long enough for cruise control so I rarely use it.
Why do you have this idea?
What does the GPS perform relevant the brakes?
Where have you taken this info from?

...thanks!:eek:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Why do you have this idea?
What does the GPS perform relevant the brakes?
Where have you taken this info from?

...thanks!:eek:
Someone (don't remember who) in another thread mentioned that the cruise control uses the back brake pads to maintain the same speed when the car is on a downhill.

And my Cooper S showed the same warning at around 3700 miles but after taking it to the dealership they told me that it was just a faulty sensor, not before trying to sell me the Inclusive XL maintenance program, before even lifting the car to check, this package includes the replacement of any of the parts from the braking system for 3 years or 40,000km, so maybe that's your case? at least over here (México) my lease stipulates that I have until the first service to ask/pay for this add-on.

if you ask me unless your driving habits are really hard the breaking pads should last at least 12,000miles

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
I also read the same forum regarding using the rear brakes to moderate cruise control speeds but this is from a 3rd party so cant verify but does seem to make sense.

·
Super Moderator
8,822 Posts
I can't see where GPS is mentioned arn. Mind you if you have the auto the GPS talks to the gearbox to prime it for corners etc so I hear!

The traction control /dsc works on brakes too and many contribute to wear!

·
Registered
641 Posts
I can't see where GPS is mentioned arn....
:confused: me too! I'm sorry...I have red all the discussion and really I don't know why I had the word GPS in my mind...
I'm getting old or...easily...yesterday was monday.
In any case...My Clubman is 3500 km old...I have done 1000 km in the highway...50% with Cruise ON...I hope not having used my rear brakes too much!

...good evening!:D

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
This is news to me, does the system use the same procedure for braking with the automatic as it does for the manual regarding cruise control?
I cant see why it wouldn't use the same system. Once you touch the clutch it will disengage the cruise control.
The adaptive cruise control is a whole bigger problem with brake control as the adaptive system will regulate the distance between your car and the one in front in keeping the same gap so it will use braking alot more than the standard cruise control.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I had (on another car) a very early brake wear alert and it turned out that a twig had broken the wear sensor cable. Also worth noting that if the sensor junction gets contaminated, this can cause the alert. After all, it's a very simple system looking for either a make or break circuit.. Worth a look i'd say.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.