1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Hi!
I have a Clubman cooper S.
I've just finished my break-in period: 2000km!
I've noticed two things:
the engine braking (or ...how do you say the action to slow down using low gear?) is pratically not working....and brakes will be run out very fast!
Do you agree with me?

·
Super Moderator
8,744 Posts
No; although saying that 5th and 6th are very high geared and i have a cooper not an s! so perhaps not fair to judge BUT have you remembered the rev match function-gives the feel for the first few seconds of slowing down that there's no braking! The brakes are pretty fade free!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I really do not fully understand your post. I assume that you have an automatic transmission, therefore, you can downshift with the paddles even in automatic mode and the transmission should respond accordingly. If it is accompanying hard braking keep downshifting and it will assist with the braking, or at least it should. If you will elaborate further it would be helpful.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
No, I have the manual transmission.
Probably I've written bad...:D
I have had only no-turbo cars...and also with little engines as soon as I put a lower gear the car starts to decrease the speed.
Now, with this B48 I have the same sensation of a turbodiesel...a lot of torque but when I'm close to a curve...despite I insert the 2nd (i.e.) before I could feel the decrease of the speed...takes time, a lot...too much...and I have to push brakes strongly (more than I used to do with my prevoius car!)
As a consequence...brakes (that are very good, reliable and resistent) are overused (...and I think I'm going to substitute them soon...I suppose they cannot live more than 20000km while usually I changed pads every 50000/60000):crying:

This is what I mean...(in a very bad english...sorry!)

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I am making the assumption that you are carrying too much speed to downshift into 1st gear at the point in the curve where you need to slow down more, is this correct? I have automatic in this mini and I cannot be of much help with this. It would seem that 2nd gear is too long, or first gear is too short. I never experienced this with my prior mini an R56 JCW with the manual transmission, so it will not help with this as you describe. Someone with a manual transmission in an F56 S or JCW might be able to give you some help. By the way, your English is much better than my Italian! Good Luck.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I find the same problem with all recent manual production cars I have driven, I suspect but I have no proof, this happened the same time Dual Mass Flywheels where adopted. I think to much effort has been focused in storing energy in a heavy flywheel for fuel savings, meaning the engine doesn't seem to slow as much when engine braking is used. I also think the weight of the vehicle also plays a part in this.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The only thing I noticed that was a bit of an issue sometimes with the auto-rev matching downshifts on my previous manual Cooper D was, if you were wanting to turn a corner and you changed from third to second... Hoping the gear change would slow you down, it doesn't due to the rev-matching it keeps you going just that bit longer and you have to use your breaks.

I somewhat get what you mean if you are referring to situations like that however my Automatic SD's downshifts somewhat adhere to BMW's i brand philosophy of 'one pedal driving' as its quite an abrupt engine breaking experience.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The only thing I noticed that was a bit of an issue sometimes with the auto-rev matching downshifts on my previous manual Cooper D was, if you were wanting to turn a corner and you changed from third to second... Hoping the gear change would slow you down, it doesn't due to the rev-matching it keeps you going just that bit longer and you have to use your breaks.
That may be just you getting used to the SD engine. My second generation SD, with no rev-match, used to catch me out by trying to force the car to not slow down, in order to keep above idle, until I learnt to change down enough gears that I wasn't hitting idle in bends.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
That may be just you getting used to the SD engine. My second generation SD, with no rev-match, used to catch me out by trying to force the car to not slow down, in order to keep above idle, until I learnt to change down enough gears that I wasn't hitting idle in bends.
It could be to be fair, and possibly getting used to how you drive an Automatic... I was aware engine breaking was just part and parcel of an auto transmission but this seems very much like regenerative breaks on the odd occasion, emphasised even more in Green mode... That may just be my imagination though!

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Change down earlier ?

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
If you plan to use your engine for braking you will have to anticipate when you'll need it and downshift early. It will slow you down, but with the rev matching it takes a little longer. The way I look at it is, for everyday use, brake pads and rotors are much cheaper than clutches... or motors if you really screw up a downshift.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
..., brake pads and rotors are much cheaper than clutches......
You are right!
I'm tuning my driving style just to match this aspect...and I'm asking myself why I was so stupid to buy other 4 rims for winter tyres (and winter tyres in a year that in Europe has no winter) instead of buying...the sporty auto gear with the command on the steering wheel! Stupid, so stupid! Incredible stupid I am!:crying:

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
If you plan to use your engine for braking you will have to anticipate when you'll need it and downshift early. It will slow you down, but with the rev matching it takes a little longer. The way I look at it is, for everyday use, brake pads and rotors are much cheaper than clutches... or motors if you really screw up a downshift.
I'm in an auto and downshift all the time. I hate keep touching the brake pedal, especially on the motorway (why do people need to brake on multilane highways with nothing in front of them ?)

Dropping from 6th to 4th is a regular occurrence for me, taking the edge of my speed when required (and making those wonderful pops too!)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Been there done the superbike bit, dont fit on them anymore. Reckon i'm faster on the ktm anyway due to the compliancy of the suspension and the poor quality of uk roads! :D
Not only!
Where you live there are millions of mad people that drive on the wrong side of the road.
Crazy!
:D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.