Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I know the JCW kit has been announced...

However, when my F56 was in getting its brains replaced, I was loaned a Countryman S All4... it was ok to drive, but the brakes were excellent. I had excellent brakes on my last car. The F56 brakes are not excellent.

So, think with me here... SS lines? Replacement pads that actually bite? Other?

·
Registered
360 Posts
This is a really interesting topic.

The brakes on my F56 MCS lack slightly in feel (one of only two gripes with the car) and like all three generations (R50/R53, R56 and F56) when braking really hard from speed the car can dart around a little.

However I think the actual stopping power is fine (for me as I don't get the sensation I keep thinking they're not as powerful as they are).

When Autocar tested the car the 60-0mph time was very impressive and matched anything under £50k / $100k.

Before spending out big money (the additional stopping power of the JCWs would be great on a track) I'd definitely recommend changing pads first.

·
Super Moderator
7,906 Posts
Yes. I wonder if the energy regeneration from bra king is the cause of the lack of feel. Don't know how it works. Does any one on here?

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Our cars do this?
Yes .

Both motors use direct fuel injection, variable valve timing and turbocharging in order to be more efficient. Auto Start/Stop is standard but easily disabled should you choose. These motors are so fuel efficient, that I suspect they could erode the market for diesels in the United States. As far as weight goes, the new Cooper weighs 2,605 lbs, while the Cooper S weighs 2,760 lbs. Both up from the last generation Coopers by just under 100 lbs. Brake energy regeneration and energy efficient oil pumps are standard as well.

·
Registered
734 Posts
When you're in green mode and looking at the minimalism display (the one with the diagram of the car, not the fish) then it shows you when the battery is being charged... basically it seems to be whenever your foot is off the accelerator.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes .

Both motors use direct fuel injection, variable valve timing and turbocharging in order to be more efficient. Auto Start/Stop is standard but easily disabled should you choose. These motors are so fuel efficient, that I suspect they could erode the market for diesels in the United States. As far as weight goes, the new Cooper weighs 2,605 lbs, while the Cooper S weighs 2,760 lbs. Both up from the last generation Coopers by just under 100 lbs. Brake energy regeneration and energy efficient oil pumps are standard as well.

what do you mean with efficient oil pumps?, does the f56 cooper S have an oil pump running when we turn our cars off? because i cant seem to hear a thing

·
Registered
235 Posts
The energy regeneration etc should make no difference at all.
I have owned an ALL4 Countryman and the brakes in my F56 are better, so I would take the car back to dealer and get them to check it.

If your brakes/pads have just been replaced give them a few hundred miles of stop start driving to bed in.

Reactions: jeremybingham
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.