Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2015 hardtop for two months now, and have noticed the brakes seem to slip before coming to a stop. It seems to happen more when I brake hard. If I come to a gradual stop, it seems to be OK.

Is this normal? It seems like the engine jumps for a split second before the car stops completely.

Anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
If you're an automatic, the jump is probably the tranny downshifting. I noticed on the loaner that it downshifted all the way down to a stop when in Sport Mode.

As to the brakes, can you describe the "slip" with bit more detail? Does the braking force decrease despite constant pressure on the pedal?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Uke, it's hard to describe. My car is an automatic. When I start pushing the brakes, the car slows down fine. It's right before it comes to a complete stop, there is a slight (but noticeable) shift, like it doing a little skip before right before stopping. The car itself does not. Just got back from errands and noticed it does this both when I brake hard and brake gradually. But it does happen consistently.

What could it be?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Thanks Uke, it's hard to describe. My car is an automatic. When I start pushing the brakes, the car slows down fine. It's right before it comes to a complete stop, there is a slight (but noticeable) shift, like it doing a little skip before right before stopping. The car itself does not. Just got back from errands and noticed it does this both when I brake hard and brake gradually. But it does happen consistently.

What could it be?
It's right before it comes to a complete stop, there is a slight (but noticeable) shift, like it doing a little skip before right before stopping

Does it matter if the car is warm or not? The reason I'm asking is when the engine is cold, the idle is set higher. On the final downshift into first gear, that could cause a bit of a jump that would be more noticeable because of the extra engine speed. And because there's more engine speed (power), there is more work for the brakes, which might feel like they are slipping.

Another thing to consider, is it only in Sport Mode that this happens? Or any mode?

it does this both when I brake hard and brake gradually. But it does happen consistently.

Here's an experiment you can try: On a safe road, put the car in neutral while going your normal speed, then brake to a stop. This disconnects the engine and the transmission, so there will be no engine braking as the tranny downshifts. If you don't notice either the skipping or the braking issue, then I expect that you have isolated the problem-- The transmission is either shifting too quickly (not equalizing speeds correctly), or the engine is running faster than it should during downshifts.

If the brakes still fade a bit, then there's something screwy going on, perhaps with the Stability Control or Differential, I would guess. Try doing the experiment again, this time with the DSC turned off and see if the problem recurs.

If the same problems happen even in neutral, with DSC off then I'm afraid you've exhausted this particular Random Internet Yahoo's troubleshooting skills. But it's something you can tell the MINI guy.

Please let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Oopse, I think I posted on slightly the wrong thread. Anyhow, I think this may be of help, I hope:

I've actually just started a thread about shamefully stalling a manual MCSD. However, in relation to the auto, which I also have as a cooper petrol (well, it's now my Mum's) I noticed very quickly the odd behaviour of the stepping down sensation.

I noticed it even further as my Mum's previous car which I routinely drive (a nissan qashqai auto) as well as my manual was much much smoother in both setting off and slowing down.

All I can say is that first of all it bothered me. I have a particular t-junction I take every day which is on a slight incline and the sensation seemed to be particularly noticeable there. It was never terrible, just somewhat disconcerting. I also noticed that the auto cooper has a very noticeable and quite nice growl which is louder than the manual version which I had on a loaner for a day.

So I took the cooper auto in to be looked at because of an issue with it's bluetooth. At the same time I told them about the 'juddering' which I think I mentioned as 'lurching' or 'lunging' from start.

When I picked the car up they said they'd done a system update and then tested the car for said 'lurching' and couldn't find anything. I drove the car away and really noticed a difference. It's still definitely not smooth, but much less apparent AND surprisingly it's a little bit quieter.

So, not a definitive answer from me. There's part of me that just thinks that it's done 2K miles now and maybe it needed a bit more time to bed in, but whatever they did/didn't do certainly seemed to help. I did make a point of making sure that the lurching was in my notes so hopefully that will have been transferred into their general database.

Reactions: MINIgirl

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's right before it comes to a complete stop, there is a slight (but noticeable) shift, like it doing a little skip before right before stopping

Does it matter if the car is warm or not? The reason I'm asking is when the engine is cold, the idle is set higher. On the final downshift into first gear, that could cause a bit of a jump that would be more noticeable because of the extra engine speed. And because there's more engine speed (power), there is more work for the brakes, which might feel like they are slipping.

Another thing to consider, is it only in Sport Mode that this happens? Or any mode?

it does this both when I brake hard and brake gradually. But it does happen consistently.

Here's an experiment you can try: On a safe road, put the car in neutral while going your normal speed, then brake to a stop. This disconnects the engine and the transmission, so there will be no engine braking as the tranny downshifts. If you don't notice either the skipping or the braking issue, then I expect that you have isolated the problem-- The transmission is either shifting too quickly (not equalizing speeds correctly), or the engine is running faster than it should during downshifts.

If the brakes still fade a bit, then there's something screwy going on, perhaps with the Stability Control or Differential, I would guess. Try doing the experiment again, this time with the DSC turned off and see if the problem recurs.

If the same problems happen even in neutral, with DSC off then I'm afraid you've exhausted this particular Random Internet Yahoo's troubleshooting skills. But it's something you can tell the MINI guy.

Please let us know what you find out.
Thanks. It happens regardless if the car is hot or cold. The car is in mid mode (haven't tried other modes). I don't know what the DSC is. I'm afraid I know nothing about cars (other than how to drive one!).

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Thanks. It happens regardless if the car is hot or cold. The car is in mid mode (haven't tried other modes). I don't know what the DSC is. I'm afraid I know nothing about cars (other than how to drive one!).
DSC is Dynamic Stability Control. It's a software feature that detects excessive Driving Excitement or Overly Hard Motoring and adjusts brakes and throttle to keep you from driving into the nearest tree. If you get a little loose out in the twisties you will see the yellow icon of a skidding car flashing as DSC works its magic.

You can turn it off via one of the bottom toggle switches. A little warning icon will then illuminate indicating that DSC is off and Good-Luck-You-Blooming-Hooligan mode has been entered.

If you get a chance to try the experiments I suggested, let me know. I'm curious. Based on my limited experience with the auto MCS loaner, I think my suspicion that it's just the car downshifting has merit. If that turns out to not be the case, then I want to revise my idiotic opinion.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Too chicken to put it into neutral while driving. Knowing my luck the engine will fall out or something equally devastating will happen!

I'll have to keep an eye on it and let the dealer know if it continues.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Too chicken to put it into neutral while driving. Knowing my luck the engine will fall out or something equally devastating will happen!
LOL I hear you. Such weirdness! But it can be fun, once you get past the pucker factor. Then it becomes oddly addictive.

Good luck. Hope it turns out to be nothing, or minor at worst.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts