Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!. At first, sry for my english. I’have recently (4 months on) purchased a mcs ‘19. So happy with it.., but there is only one (i can say) problem. I already saw similar posts, but not exactly the same behaviour: when in a relative “fast” corners >=130 kph and press the brakes, the brake pedal acts like ABS system is starting to do its fuction (releasing brake pressure, then pushing again…) so the car start to move with inestability and i think danger situation. I also think , the scenario/situations in wich that happens, doesn’t need ABS regution. This only happens braking on “fast” corners. Also, when this happens, NO abs lights or dcs in the dashboard. Not sure id this is normal, or what to look for?: 1.clean speed sensors??. 2.i think there is also height sensor.¿where?. Once again: there is NO light (abs/dcs) when this situation happens. In bmw-mini agency nothing found faulty when they did the scan. Thanks you so much!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Likely the CBC function kicking in

Try to get out of the habit of braking in corners, do your braking before the corner.

·
Super Moderator
8,839 Posts
My f56 felt tail happy ie a bit unstable if I did brake in a fast corner ,Once I think from recollection. I leanrt not to do it the hard way in my MR 2!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Tbh the description of the issue is a bit vague, but generally sounds normal. The grip your tyres have is limited and when you're cornering and braking or accelerating at the same time, you share that grip between two actions at once.
Therefore yes, when braking hard at high speed in a corner, at some point you will hit your limit of available grip. Normally, without any electronic assistance, you're likely to experience understeer (at least in our case), but when the electronics kick in and try to apply different brake pressure on each wheel to keep car inside the corner, the car may become a bit unstable, you have to learn to understand that threshold when pushing the brakes in a corner. Normally you don't hit that limit when driving normally around the city, but since we're talking like 130+ kph, here we are.

Technically speaking, braking in a corner is not the most effective way of doing stuff. There's a reason real racing drivers brake hard before entering a corner - they are using the most grip for braking and turning separately. Yes, there's also a skill called trailbraking, but that's like the next step above what we are discussing ATM.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Thx imaginativetruth. Didn’t known anything about thia CBC feature…, all mcs ‘19 have this??. So…, is this behaviour normal??. If normal, i think is very intrusive
Yes, I believe most modern cars have this feature in their stability control systems. Braking in corners at the speed you indicated is going to unsettle the car and make it unstable, the intervention of the CBC is going to help, but make the feeling in the cabin even more unsettling.

Braking in corners above 120 kph should be avoided in my opinion, its poor car control.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi all. Thx for your answers…; I own in the past few other sport cars as x2 e92 M3, ML63, 335 e93…, never felt this behaviour in any of these or other cars. Happy wz my mini, but once again i don’t think this is normal. Or if the intention is ok, i think the system must be less intrussive.., i know that is better to brake on a straight line than in the middle of a corner.., but think about one car going in the next lane and suddenly cross to my lane…, danger situation here with CBC acting. Don’t know if this CBC system could be calibrated, maybe this is the point????. Thx!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I think the MINI platform and Front Wheel Drive make it hard to compare to BMW Rear Wheel Drive cars. Personally, I found the basic Cooper S MINI chassis to be unacceptable in its ride, stability and braking - coming from 'premium' / exotics. Replacing runflats, Suspension (to Pro Coilovers), Brakes (Pro Brembos) and chassis stiffening - made the car acceptable to me - no fishtailing under heavy braking, reduced understeer, non fade brakes, comfortable ride.
CBC can't be calibrated - aside from coding the DSC when installing the Pro big brake kit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just experienced this CBC today at about 130 mph. Entering a corner on the high way with 2 cars blocking both lanes ahead (side by side) I used very light back, as light as possible and I felt the car brake the back wheels side to side even after I let off the brake. This is dangerous to me super unsettling. I agree with this car does not handle well at speed on the highway. I expect more from mini. I will be going pro coil over route along with chassi stiffining

1 - 12 of 12 Posts