Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
brand new 2015 pepper white hardtop s in auto

I drove about 100 miles from the lot to my house, when I parked in my parking lot, I heard a weird sound as if there is a small helicopter in my backseat, I know thats a terrible description but I don't know how else to describe it. First thing that I thought was maybe something in my trunk is sitting against some pole or something.

I looked in my backseat and noticed some screw just sitting there, I will get pics soon. Before signing the contract I mentioned there was some water under the car and no other car in the lot, and it was a sunny day so it was weird that it hasn't evaporated. I asked them to inspect it and it was all A-OKAY, but what if that screw came from some inspection and now something is loose?

I test drove it before purchasing and my dad was in the back, no sound. I only heard the sound after an hour drive and when I got home.

just looking for some reassurance, again I will post pics soon, I want to read through my owners manual and take the car for a run and see if I hear the noise again.

so I noticed my left window makes a sound as if its rubbing against rubber when the road is bumpy.....the right door is also rattling like crazy(I read this might be a seatbelt issue so ill check later)......and I tried locating the source of the helicopter sound and it really sounds like its coming from under the back right side of my car, maybe near the wheel or something. As soon as I hit idle after driving in the free way for 20 min, I can hear the rattle. As soon as I start accelerating it is gone, and as soon as I kill the engine the sound is gone.

photos of nut found in back seat
http://postimg.org/image/9aje8j62j/
http://postimg.org/image/aquwqo8zf/
http://postimg.org/image/9aje8j62j/

photos of mini :D
http://postimg.org/image/daqjkrwjf/
http://postimg.org/image/lhijccmm3/
http://postimg.org/image/53yjt76gr/

sound of rattle, must listen on very loud its from my cell phone
https://clyp.it/dsqnlvva

sound example louder on youtube that sounds similar i think
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waJVooQWICQ&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
61 Posts
That is one of the four bolts holding each seat. Check the seat runners and see if they are missing a bolt, you might have to put the seat äs in the most forward position to see the bolts.

The noice you have sounds really stange to me, maby an exhaust leak?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I checked and I see 4 bolts on both chairs, so I can tell the bolts match up but can't see if its missing any.

The sound is coming even after a 5 minute drive now, couldn't pin point it. In my driver seat it sounds like its coming from under the right rear side somewhere, when I go outside in the area I hear nothing, can only hear it inside, but when inside and I get closer to the sound I don't feel like im getting closer to the sound, its so weird.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The screws that hold the seat belt buckles under the back seat are simular to the ones holding the seats. But I really dont see why anyone would remove them...

Does the noice follow the engine revs, What happens if you push the throttle slightly and increas 500 rpm?

If it follows the revs I would not drive the car any further as this indicates that something might be wrong with the engine or gearbox.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
890 Posts
Does the noice follow the engine revs, What happens if you push the throttle slightly and increas 500 rpm?

If it follows the revs I would not drive the car any further as this indicates that something might be wrong with the engine or gearbox.
I agree with this, the f56 S has been having issues with the engine/transmission and would advise getting it diagnosed quickly so if you may want to "reject" the car it will be easier the less time you have it.
Hopefully there will be a simple fix. There are a number of threads on here relating to engine issues but they are with manual gearboxes as far as I can see, maybe autos are not affected the same.

It could be a misaligned exhaust system contacting a heat shield underneath at the back, if you are in luck. Or something like that.

The squeaky window seal is normal and tends to quieten down, but BMW have stuff to help fix it , I believe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
small update

for some reason the sound is no longer an issue, or maybe I just have to drive a certain way for it to come back.... either way I am going to get it serviced tomorrow.

The dealer called me and told me they found out they sold me a demo car, and I have to come in to sign some forms to get an additional 5k miles of warranty on top of the 55k...... ><

·
Registered
200 Posts
small update

for some reason the sound is no longer an issue, or maybe I just have to drive a certain way for it to come back.... either way I am going to get it serviced tomorrow.

The dealer called me and told me they found out they sold me a demo car, and I have to come in to sign some forms to get an additional 5k miles of warranty on top of the 55k...... ><
And an additional $5k back in your pocket as well? Assuming you didn't know it was a demo car

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im not sure what my options are but now I am thinking again, apparently my dad spoke with the dealer and it sounds like I can possibly return the car. If I sign the disclaimer it will say I knew the car was a demo....

I really like the car though but its like if you drop a baby you worry how it will be in the future, and this car has been dropped hard.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I would never knowingly buy a ex demo car unless there was a huge price reduction, and I was told about it upfront.

If you can stand the wait for a brand new untouched Mini, and they will allow you to return the current one, which I think they really are obliged to do as it was sold under false information, then I would order a new one and look forward to it all over again.

A bit of a downer have to wait, but probably worth it in the end.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have thought about this a little more and it almost seems to me like a scammy way of getting rid of an ex demo car, for full price, and they then admit this is the case so you are offered a warranty increase to compensate once the car has arrived and you are starting to become emotionally attached to it and are not likely to reject it.

I think your noise is a godsend and I would use it to reinforce your case for not accepting the car.

I would be very annoyed if I was in your position, I think they are chancing their luck.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Don't accept a demo when you paid for a new car. Period!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have thought about this a little more and it almost seems to me like a scammy way of getting rid of an ex demo car, for full price, and they then admit this is the case so you are offered a warranty increase to compensate once the car has arrived and you are starting to become emotionally attached to it and are not likely to reject it.

I think your noise is a godsend and I would use it to reinforce your case for not accepting the car.

I would be very annoyed if I was in your position, I think they are chancing their luck.
What he said. The wait will both suck and blow, but you'll appreciate it when you're zipping around in a brand new ride that nobody else has mistreated in heaven knows how many ways... and probably wasn't broken in properly

·
Registered
200 Posts
going right now to try and return/ exchange

it had 10 miles on it
10 miles are what many new cars come with on the odometer. If it was scheduled to be a demo car but you ended up buying it is different than 2 dozen people ripping up and down the street with a brand new engine and putting a high stress thousand or so miles on it. But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
this would be my view but consider the fact that I had problems with the vehicle, if I didn't have problems I would never even come in or complain or find out it was a demo car.

Also, I got my return, so obviously they know they ****** up. I also thought about the future, when I need to sell the car, it will come up as demo, so forever it has lost resale value just because its punched as a demo

1 - 17 of 17 Posts