Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Excuse the use of the metric system.... Lol)
I was wondering how I should handle the F56 when I get it... For example with my 2011 MCS I never exceeded 120km/h (+-75 mph) for the first 1000km (+-620 miles) Any advice?

·
Registered
890 Posts
It is engine speed and engine loading that matters more than road speed, but if a breaking in period is advised for the new Minis does the handbook (for those lucky few that already have their cars!) give any suggestions as to how it should be achieved?

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
The hand book advises 2000km or 1200 miles. Max revs of 4500 and speeds of 100 mph (3500 and 90 mph for a diesel)

Also advises to be gentle on the brakes and tyres initially too.

·
Registered
360 Posts
A mixture of driving styles (hard and gentle) is a great way to run a car in. It's best to avoid load at low engine speeds if possible.

·
Registered
125 Posts
When would someone ever drive faster than 160 km/h anyway? That is really unsafe. I would just be careful about what the RPMs are doing. IF the speed can go up to 160 km/h than you probably have little to worry about.

·
Registered
360 Posts
It depends on where you live. There are plenty of places in the world where people will drive between 90 and 110mph. Of course then there are legendary autobahns in Germany.... though having driven on unrestricted sections of an autobahn myself (was probably just the one I was on) it felt like I was continuingly slowing down for junctions....

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but the M4, by night, is quite fast.

It depends on where you live. There are plenty of places in the world where people will drive between 90 and 110mph. Of course then there are legendary autobahns in Germany.... though having driven on unrestricted sections of an autobahn myself (was probably just the one I was on) it felt like I was continuingly slowing down for junctions....

·
Registered
360 Posts
Indeed it is patch, particularly if you're in a TVR! :) but driving too fast isn't sensible in the UK for two reasons - lots of motorists don't check mirrors properly when changing lanes in front of you (for some reason us Brits don't seem to judge speed as well as in continental Europe), and second being caught at 100mph or more is likely to result in a driving ban.

It's funny I seem to remember my journey from Toronto to Montréal, and from Montréal to Québec city being quicker than expected!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Germans sometimes either don't check their mirrors or do and just pull out anyway. One time a van doing 70mph pulled out about 200yds ahead when I was doing 135mph and another a truck pulled out when I was doing 120mph. Thank god for ABS!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I appreciate this is an old thread, but only a few people commented when it was created. Quite a few more people have their Mini now and I am interested to know more peoples views on breaking in their new Mini.

Firstly years ago I was told to break in a new car after buying it, and I did, drove normally, never thrashed it etc. However when I spoke to my Mini dealer I was informed there was no need to break in these new Minis, and you can drive them like you stole them from day one. There was also something mentioned regarding being able to tell how a car is driven when it is brought in for servicing etc, where a Cooper S driven the way it was built to will result in better performance than someone granny driving in green mode all day everyday.

I would be interested in reading people's thoughts and opinions on this.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Read the manual. It describes breaking it in up to the 1200 mile point - don't exceed 4.5k revs and avoid placing a full load on the engine.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I understand what you are saying, but the dealer and manual contradict one another. Hence why I asked for peoples opinions to know whether most or all are following the manual process or not?

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
I have 1800 miles on my MCS to date, The first 1200 or so I didn't murder the throttle too much and varied my highway cruising speeds and rpm's. I also plan on fresh oil very shortly regardless of what Mini says..

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just to clarify, when stated not to put full load on the engine, does that mean not putting your foot to the floor and instead gentle acceleration?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Follow the manual.

The dealers, certainly the sales staff, are not necessarily up to speed with changes in engineering policy from head office.

For years no breaking in was needed, officially, for many cars due to much tighter manufacturing tolerances and robotic assembly, but if BMW/Mini think it is wise to break their new line of engines in, then that is good enough for me.

I would prefer them to specify an oil change quite early on though, especially as turbos demand an excellent oil regime, but they must think the filters and the oil specified are good for the job without extra changes.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Full load is like doing dragster starts at Santa Pod on a regular basis, and driving gently is not stressing the engine enough although for the first few days it might be a good idea.

Just drive like you are trying to impress an advanced driving assessor, don't crawl around but don't stress the engine by over-revving in lower gears. just be smooth and be in the right gear for the road speed and acceleration required, but don't start testing the acceleration until quite a few miles are on the clock and then build up gradually to really heavy acceleration, if you want to. Don't just go from *****-footing around to suddenly caning it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I didn't edit my last line, but there must be some checking system making sure bad language is not used.
I assure you I did not use bad language, but the word I used must have been disapproved of!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts