1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Have you priced the dealer solely for that kit? Then get them fitted elsewhere....or yourself if you're experienced?

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you have the service plan it is worth it to get it through the dealer/have it fitted through the dealer. If you do that they will still cover pads/rotors etc under your service plan!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have the service plan it is worth it to get it through the dealer/have it fitted through the dealer. If you do that they will still cover pads/rotors etc under your service plan!
Yes I do have the 5 yr service plan. so you are saying that if i upgrade to the JCW brake kit, then the pads and rotors will be replaced as per service plan ?what about the discs ? I am trying to find the stuff on the service plan to read it

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They seem to be.
Remember that you need also special rims...or spacers.
i have the 18" Vanity Spoke in two tone. The question i also wanted to ask was will these fit the brakes with spacers or do i go for some thing aftermarket like what Tweedbean has used ?
Also will putting aftermarket wheels void my warranty, if it does anyone aware of which part of the warranty it voids ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes I do have the 5 yr service plan. so you are saying that if i upgrade to the JCW brake kit, then the pads and rotors will be replaced as per service plan ?what about the discs ? I am trying to find the stuff on the service plan to read it
Only IF you purchase from the dealer AND have your dealer install. A lot of the time my local dealer runs a parts special, so the actual cost of the parts isn't much more than ebay or a vendor, and the labor is actually fairly reasonable. I think it was 2700 installed something like that? Also your wheels will not fit. You will need at least a 15mm spacer, or an aftermarket wheel designed for the JCW. If you go 15mm spacer, the WMW kit is fantastic!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Only IF you purchase from the dealer AND have your dealer install. A lot of the time my local dealer runs a parts special, so the actual cost of the parts isn't much more than ebay or a vendor, and the labor is actually fairly reasonable. I think it was 2700 installed something like that? Also your wheels will not fit. You will need at least a 15mm spacer, or an aftermarket wheel designed for the JCW. If you go 15mm spacer, the WMW kit is fantastic!
Thank you Volcano
my knowledge of spacers is ). so apologise if this is a silly question. I am assuming the spacers dont compromise the safety and stability of the vehicle and that the dealer would install the spacers as well along with the brake kit if i purchase and pay for them to install it ?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've done this...
From the same starting point of vanity spokes

I changed my wheels to a different offset and 17 x 7.5 to make tyre choice easier further down the line, Google the stock 18" size and see how few choices you have

Remember that the rears are a cosmetic change, no extra performance from these

Where are you based ? As if it's uk I have a new front set of calipers for sale which might be a cheaper option for you

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sport pads, aeronautic pipes and dot 5.1
You don't need anything else...
For most of us this isn't just about additional braking capacity - it is also asthetic. And while yes, ss brake lines, pads and higher temp fluid is acceptable for the stock car, when you get over 300 hp the stock brakes are woefully inadequate.

·
Registered
641 Posts
For most of us this isn't just about additional braking capacity - it is also asthetic. And while yes, ss brake lines, pads and higher temp fluid is acceptable for the stock car, when you get over 300 hp the stock brakes are woefully inadequate.

I can agree...but...is something I have always done on my bikes and for a little amount of money (pads have the same price, oil...few euro higher) I can have something that can improve sensibility and strenght of brakes...It's a good step.
End I cannot understand why BMW doesn't put them by default...
For the price? 20 Euros more...?
If they were available in retrofit (...not the JCW brakes...just a Sporty option) or directly as option when you buy the car...up to 300€ I would have pay (....AARGH, my english!!!! Sorry!!!! )

·
Registered
85 Posts
I can agree...but...is something I have always done on my bikes and for a little amount of money (pads have the same price, oil...few euro higher) I can have something that can improve sensibility and strenght of brakes...It's a good step.
End I cannot understand why BMW doesn't put them by default...
For the price? 20 Euros more...?
If they were available in retrofit (...not the JCW brakes...just a Sporty option) or directly as option when you buy the car...up to 300€ I would have pay (....AARGH, my english!!!! Sorry!!!! )
I agree 100% - for most cars they are more than adequate stock, and pads and lines help a LOT. It is a great first step, and even if someone does track days, or has a BMS Stage 1/2 and limited mods or NM power module it is a great solution. Those of us pushing the 400+ hp mark though need more haha!

And absolutely. I have no idea why they weren't offered as a factory retrofit, or even post delivery dealer option. I would have gladly paid to have them included in my financing!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've done this...
From the same starting point of vanity spokes

I changed my wheels to a different offset and 17 x 7.5 to make tyre choice easier further down the line, Google the stock 18" size and see how few choices you have

Remember that the rears are a cosmetic change, no extra performance from these

Where are you based ? As if it's uk I have a new front set of calipers for sale which might be a cheaper option for you
I am based in Kent.
When you mean only cosmetic i know they look similar but i thought they function differently with diff pads. is that not the case ?

PM sent for the fronts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.