Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question:

How will the BREXIT vote to leave the EU affect or not affect the Mini Oxford manufacturing plant ? What matters more, the UK or EU ?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Hopefully the exchange rate with the dollar will make Minis less expensive here in the states.
Less expensive?! You get them cheaper than us! If you do an exchange rate from USD to GBP I bet you that you pay less than we would for a like for like spec.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
What does the brexit mean for mini?

The brexit votes have been tallied and the UK is officially leaving the EU. The implication are enormous throughout the world but at MF our immediate questions turn to MINI. While BMW has diversified production outside of the UK (the F57 in Netherlands and R60 is finishing production in Austria), the vast majority of production still takes place in Oxford England.

According to Matthias Wissmann, president of Germany’s VDA auto industry association, “We would have enormous challenges to overcome if Brexit wins. The German auto industry alone has 100 production sites in Britain including suppliers,” Matthias Wissmann, president of Germany’s VDA auto industry association told a news conference this week.

More troubling is the real concern of a eventual trade dispute between the UK and the EU. “If there were a trade conflict between Britain and the European Union, the damage would be enormous for everybody,” Wissmann added.

What does it mean for MINI? BMW has yet to make an official statement but you can be sure that they’ve already run the numbers and have contingency plans in place. How they play out remains to be seen but don’t be surprised to see further production diversification on the table.

Now for the positive. Is an independent England good for the MINI brand? We tend to think there could be some type of halo effect with the UK being seen as more independent and less diluted by a more generic European character. Regardless of the outcome MINI is tied to the English brand. And now its even more important (for MINI) that that brand remains strong.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2016/06/24/what-does-the-brexit-mean-for-mini/

·
Registered
386 Posts
Maybe I'll add the Union Jack roof decal now!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe I'll add the Union Jack roof decal now!
I added the Union Jack Mirror Cap a couple of weeks ago to my rear view mirror. A perfect color match to my Moonwalk Grey and White Roof.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
There will be lots of huff and bluster, as we saw with exchange rates and then.........nothing. It will make no difference at all. Japan make cars in the UK they're not in the EU. They manage very nicely.

Reactions: dgswick

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bb
They manage very nicely.
For now.

My opinion,The next couple of years will be telling what the German and Japanese will decide what to do if anything with their automotive operations in the UK. The lower £ 1.36 will be a definite staying power, experience work force, and amongst others. Right now, it is status quo.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Even less chance of them banning my ASBO F56 JCW Pro exhaust now :)

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Super Moderator
1,206 Posts
Well if the EU do impose the 10% tax on imported cars, I would think that Oxford would be used for non EU cars (Americas, Asia, Australia etc) and the plant in the Netherlands will be used to produce EU cars. That way there will be no import tax. Not sure what Jaguar Land Rover will do though...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well if the EU do impose the 10% tax on imported cars, I would think that Oxford would be used for non EU cars (Americas, Asia, Australia etc) and the plant in the Netherlands will be used to produce EU cars. That way there will be no import tax. Not sure what Jaguar Land Rover will do though...
Lobby the Govt to impose a 10% tax on anything VAG or BMW I guess. Gonna be an interesting few weeks, months thats for sure. Too much at stake for the muppets not to sort it out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Remember also that a lot of the content, the components and materials, for building the MINI (and Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans) is from other suppliers within the EU.

It all gets very complicated to control the build costs on millions of parts going into Oxford if import tariffs have to be applied plus any effects to scheduling due to the added 'red tape'.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Call me cynical but i don't think much will change; since we import far more than we export to Europe there won't be a 10% tax hike either way since the Europeans wouldn't stand losing out on all the lovely trade they do with us! It's like the millennium bug; big threats but .......................

Reactions: dgswick

·
Registered
320 Posts
So very true - just need to let the dust settle without the press continually seeking to stirring up all this nationalistic stuff and long term everything will fall back into place. Good to see Angela Merkel putting aside all of the political rhetoric last night stating they need to do the right deal and not be bitter about whats happened. Views will soften over time. She knows we are too important to them and vice versa, certainly from an economic perspective.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts