Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi folks in the past two months my mini cooper s 15 plate has broken down for the third time today

i parked up after driving for about half an hour popped in to my doctors came back out tryed to restart nothing happened tryed again and then noticed
smoke coming from the bonnet

opened bonnet all you could smell was a burnt smell no flames by the way

came up starter ignition problem on the main screen

phoned breakdown service and its away to the garage again third time ive had a starter problem really at my wits end i just want my mini fixed :crying:

·
Registered
173 Posts
That's terrible! Hopefully, roadside assistance got to you quickly and the car will be fixed up in no time. They should be giving you a loaner in the mean time.

·
Registered
890 Posts
That's a pity.

If it's the third time they have changed the starter motor, that would suggest something not right with the ring gear, with which the starter meshes when starting, or something else other than the starter motor itself.
Use of the stop/start technology shouldn't really cause a burnt out motor, unless the motor design is not quite up to it.

Keep us informed.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Time to reject it if not fixed fully this time. I would submit a letter telling them that this is your intention.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First time was a new starter and aircon motor it cut out when i was driving and refused to restart starter ignition fault on display

Second time new ecu it cut out when at traffic lights and restarted but felt sluggish when driving there was no power no faults on display

This time it was after i was driving and parked and was driving fine before
It came up power steering fault then came starter ignition fault
this is the first time some things burned out

Getting loan car tomorrow

Has anyone had to have there car replaced

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forgot to mention got it end of march its only done five hundred miles

Breakdown were twenty minutes

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
That stinks! I hope MINI does right by you in correcting this awful situation.

·
Registered
890 Posts
First time was a new starter and aircon motor it cut out when i was driving and refused to restart starter ignition fault on display

Second time new ecu it cut out when at traffic lights and restarted but felt sluggish when driving there was no power no faults on display

This time it was after i was driving and parked and was driving fine before
It came up power steering fault then came starter ignition fault
this is the first time some things burned out

Getting loan car tomorrow

Has anyone had to have there car replaced
That is a perfect example of a car not fit for purpose.

There are fundamental problems with the car, too many faults in too many electrical/electronic systems to be acceptable, especially at such a low mileage.
There are people on this forum who have rejected Minis and will know the procedure and may be able to help with advice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Check your MINI warranty manual...

hi folks in the past two months my mini cooper s 15 plate has broken down for the third time today

i parked up after driving for about half an hour popped in to my doctors came back out tryed to restart nothing happened tryed again and then noticed
smoke coming from the bonnet

opened bonnet all you could smell was a burnt smell no flames by the way

came up starter ignition problem on the main screen

phoned breakdown service and its away to the garage again third time ive had a starter problem really at my wits end i just want my mini fixed :crying:
Your dealership has three attempts to correct safety related issues while your car is under warranty. If they fail, your warranty ensures a comparable MINI replacement.

I would suggest you contact MINI corporate (phone number is also in your user warranty manual) and speak with their able and helpful customer service to speed a prompt resolution.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I think one could be hard pressed to argue that a starter motor is a safety related issue, though... generally, the only things to rise to that level are items that will fling you into danger while in motion. Can always try it, tho

·
Registered
844 Posts
Your dealership has three attempts to correct safety related issues while your car is under warranty. If they fail, your warranty ensures a comparable MINI replacement.

I would suggest you contact MINI corporate (phone number is also in your user warranty manual) and speak with their able and helpful customer service to speed a prompt resolution.

Good luck to you!
Not necessarily the case outside the USA. In the UK your contract is with the supplying dealer and nothing to do with MINI. There is also no stipulation about allowing 3 attempts to fix a fault.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think one could be hard pressed to argue that a starter motor is a safety related issue, though... generally, the only things to rise to that level are items that will fling you into danger while in motion. Can always try it, tho
I don't know about you but if a car cut out on me at a traffic light, drove in a sluggish manner, or managed to create smoke when parked...:eek:...I'd think safety issue. But then, I'm kind of quirky that way.:nerd:

·
Registered
505 Posts
I don't know about you but if a car cut out on me at a traffic light, drove in a sluggish manner, or managed to create smoke when parked...
...I'd think safety issue. But then, I'm kind of quirky that way.
Having seen a lot worse not rise to the level of a safety issue in the eyes of dealers and manufacturers, what you'd think and they'd think are often be miles apart...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not necessarily the case outside the USA. In the UK your contract is with the supplying dealer and nothing to do with MINI. There is also no stipulation about allowing 3 attempts to fix a fault.
Having seen a lot worse not rise to the level of a safety issue in the eyes of dealers and manufacturers, what you'd think and they'd think are often be miles apart...
Hence my suggestion to reach out to MINI corporate's customer service for a speedy resolution. However, I just learned "lemon laws" and ineffective successive fixes may not apply outside of the USA. Shocking!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Well, Mini Corporate would be the manufacturer I was referring to, but lemon laws don't even necessarily apply from state to state - each state has it's own set of laws and you have to work through those channels before you see if the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act applies at the federal level... which can include everything from legal fees to mandated arbitration. It's really... something. Gives me a headache every time I think about it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts